ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 06-21-18, 12:51 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation
Shopping lists don't work for me

Really, they don't. Not that I don't try. Actually I am pretty good at making thorough lists. I keep paper handy and add stuff to the list as I think of them. Before I head out shopping, I check the list and add anything else I can think of. It looks great.

The trouble is, no matter what I do, I never seem to manage to get everything on the list. I always, always come home without some of the stuff I put on the list. I suppose it is a relatively minor annoyance compared to some problems in life, but all the same, it does get frustrating when I come home without some stuff I really needed.

I have tried crossing stuff off the list as I get them - that doesn't work, I always forget to cross them off. Or I get in a rush and don't want to bother to dig out a pencil, stop to cross off the item, and so on.

I have also tried organizing the list by categories: food, office supplies, etc, in hopes that will help me not overlook things. Nope. I still come home without stuff that I'd carefully listed in all those neat categories.

Sigh. Anyone found a way to make a shopping list actually be successful in helping you buy the items you needed??
namazu (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 12:56 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,969 Times in 9,994 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shopping lists don't work for me

1) I tend to physically organize my lists based on where stuff is in the store.
If veggies are at the front of the first aisle on the right when I walk in, then I list the veggies in the bottom right corner of the scrap of paper. If milk is in the back towards the left, then it goes on the left towards the top. The frozen broccoli in the freezer section in the middle of the store goes in the middle of the scrap of paper. Obviously, this works best if you know the layout of the grocery store.

2) I sometimes sketch the items instead of listing.
Doesn't work well for everything, but visually can be an easier-to-differentiate cue than if I just had a list of words. (I also draw a very cute carrot, if I may say so myself.)

3) I sometimes tear the paper instead of crossing off with a pen.
Doesn't require having (or hanging onto) a pen, and is quick. Just a little tiny tear next to the item. (Works better for things in the side aisles, which are on the edges of the scrap of paper!)
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Ronelh (06-21-18)
Old 06-21-18, 01:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
1) I tend to physically organize my lists based on where stuff is in the store.
If veggies are at the front of the first aisle on the right when I walk in, then I list the veggies in the bottom right corner of the scrap of paper. If milk is in the back towards the left, then it goes on the left towards the top. The frozen broccoli in the freezer section in the middle of the store goes in the middle of the scrap of paper. Obviously, this works best if you know the layout of the grocery store.

2) I sometimes sketch the items instead of listing.
Doesn't work well for everything, but visually can be an easier-to-differentiate cue than if I just had a list of words. (I also draw a very cute carrot, if I may say so myself.)

3) I sometimes tear the paper instead of crossing off with a pen.
Doesn't require having (or hanging onto) a pen, and is quick. Just a little tiny tear next to the item. (Works better for things in the side aisles, which are on the edges of the scrap of paper!)
Good ideas! The first one won't always work in my situation, but I can see it working well for some situations. Where I live, there are no big supermarkets that have everything, you have to go to different stores, and the places that have them don't always put them in the same locations each time. Which is why I tried organizing by general categories, but that wasn't enough to help me.

Thanks especially for the tip about tearing the paper. Much better than digging through my bag for a pen. I'll definitely try that next time!
namazu (06-21-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-18, 04:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

musicman64 will become famous soon enough

I try to use electronics for my lists. Nothing to fancy like a home food inventory but I use todoist with Google calendar and it mostly works. Of course we in general are bad about going back to our lists and making sure we have everything or have done everything. I'm sure at some time we have all used the sticky note on top of sticky note on top of colored sticky note system to no avail. Perhaps just knowing you'll get another trip to the store in is not so bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musicman64 For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-21-18), Ronelh (06-23-18)
Old 06-23-18, 02:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman64 View Post
I try to use electronics for my lists. Nothing to fancy like a home food inventory but I use todoist with Google calendar and it mostly works.
I tried a shopping list app once, but it drove me crazy having to pull out my phone, wake it up, navigate to the app etc, just to see the list. It was even more trouble than a piece of paper. My phone pretty much stayed forgotten in the bottom of my purse, and the grocery list rarely got updated. I'm glad it works for you though! Maybe I'll try it again sometime.
namazu (06-23-18)
Old 06-25-18, 02:08 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,449 Times in 14,478 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I try and get the apps for the stores I use and make my shopping lists that way and use the digital coupons.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-25-18)
Old 06-26-18, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

Oh, okay, that makes sense. Sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, not an option where I live. I'll have to remember that for when I'm in places that do have this technology though.
namazu (06-26-18)
Old 06-26-18, 12:44 PM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road

I would have loved to use an electronic format for a grocery list. I have tried to use an electronic list ages ago with the kids. I figured if they saw something out or something they wanted, they could just jot it down. I could then stop at the store when needed instead of wasting time stopping at home. Unfortunately my girls were opposites so they would never utilize the same technology. This idea only failed because I was not able to easily correlate the information. I ended up using pen and paper in the end and fortunately I like grocery shopping so I donĺt mind getting more than my vehicle can hold.

I would recommend an electronic list if it is possible.
namazu (06-26-18)
Old 07-04-18, 08:22 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
I Had to Change My Expectations of a "Grocery List"

I have used grocery lists for years, and am completely dependent on having a list to remember what I wanted to get.

Just to back up, the first aspect of a list is to write down what we are close to running out of (or have run out of). As all my family members, housemates, even cleaning people are keenly aware, I do not ever want to discover unexpectedly that I have run out of anything! So in my house, don't even think of using the last of something and throwing away the empty container without writing the item on a paper list always attached to the fridge with a magnet. A pen also hangs there by a string, so there is no excuse for not writing something down.

Sometimes that's the only list I have when I shop, and in that case I usually regret not having done any advance meal planning because I come home with all sorts of replacement items, but with few if any new ingredients for upcoming meals.

Besides, the replacement list from the fridge is in random order. So before shopping I usually make up a new list, like Namazu's, arranged more like the store, with some (usually not enough) additions for future meals.

But like OP, most of the time these days I'm not going to find everything on my list in one store...or I don't know where I will find it.

So I have had to change my expectations, and stop thinking of a grocery list as a "one trip" list. I have to think of it as more of a "master list" or a "treasure hunt" that will slowly dwindle as I go to different shops--sometimes on the same day, but most often on different days.

After each store, or when I get home I have to take out the crumpled list, circle what is still remaining unfulfilled, and think where am I most likely to find most or all of the remaining items.

This might become a fresh list, but often the same list rattles around in my bag for a few days (or a week) until I find most or all the items.

And yes, it is a hassle making sure unfulfilled items do get transferred onto a new list. But I usually do it because I really hate...see above.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-04-18), Ronelh (07-05-18)