ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-17, 11:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Charmcityguy22 will become famous soon enough
Sorry I'm just scared

So it's been exactly 7 weeks of off and on Ativan use for severe anxiety,I was taking 0.5 mgs as need then stepped up.to 1mg as needed,at first the 1mg made me feel very drunk like and just out of it,after a few weeks it just made my anxiety symptoms go away without the drunkness and out of it feeling.my last dose was yesterday.

I took a 1mg dose as I went on a family trip for the day and did not want to have an axiety/panic attack and have to go to the ER.im wondering if 7 weeks of as needed use of 1mg once daily or 0.5 mgs 1 daily is enough to cause withdrawal or sezuire's,should I taper from this med when I see my doctor on Wednesday I'll ask him to taper me or should I be fine cold turkey,I was not using the ativan for rec use but for symptoms of anxiety and panic that sent me to the ER.i know y'all are not doctors but actually people with experiance.oh by the way,if weight matters I'm 126 pounds.

I was taking Concerta daily for ADHD and that was ramping up the anxiety/panic. But do you all think 7 weeks is enough to cause withdrawal as I don't have anymore doses to wean myself off.i never needed to take a 0.5 dose or 1mg dose more than once a day.i also take L theanine daily to help with the anxiety.sorry I'm just scared of building a tolerance,as I've used it the past but one day years and years ago.if I need to ween I'll email my doctor.but today I didn't feel bad as i did not take a dose
The Following User Says Thank You to Charmcityguy22 For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-13-17)
Old 11-13-17, 12:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,676 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sorry I'm just scared

1mg of Ativan a day isn't anywhere near a high enough dose to cause seizures on withdrawal. It is commonly prescribed in dosages of 2-3mgs taken 2-3 times per day.

So you can relax, you'll be fine.

If you do have any withdrawal effects, then they'll be pretty mild. Perhaps a slight increase in your stress and anxiety levels, but that's about it.
Old 11-13-17, 04:56 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

What did your doctor direct you to do to stop this mediciation?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-17, 09:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

He told me just to stop cold turkey,it was my PDoc but I since left home for personal reasons,I'm now working with my primary care doctor.and he told me if I wanted to taper I could but 7 weeks was not enough to need to taper but I'm just scared he is wrong.
Old 11-13-17, 09:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

And thank you Fraser you put my mind at ease and Sarah sorry to post twice
Old 11-13-17, 10:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,281 Times in 10,250 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

If it works for your anxiety I would not stop taking it. Is that an option for you?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 11-13-17, 11:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

It is not,my doctor does not want me.to continue taking it as it's addictive,he did prescribe Buspar for me to try.as well I don't have anymore doses but can talk to my doctor on Wednesday.