ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 12-12-16, 11:54 PM

nvblair95 is on a distinguished road
Can anyone relate to my experience? IQ fluctuations

Hey everyone,

21 years old. I was diagnosed with ADHD at 6 years old with three validations of my diagnosis throughout my life. I've always thought of myself as extremely different than my peers, in terms of my intellect, social skills, and functionality. I have been on and off medication for as long as I can remember, and my current prescription, adderall, seems to be the most effective, which is taken as needed per my own decision.in primary school, the school system coded me as behaviorally challenges with learning disabilities. I was pulled out for special educations. I have always been bullied for being an 'idiot, a sped' etc. This obviously has led to problems of depression and low self esteem.

With more control of my thoughts in middle school, I no longer was coded learning disabled due to being more attentive to school. Improvements were made by scoring partially proficient in most placement testing. Sophomore year of high school was the year i consistently took my medication, and that's where things got weird...

It was like I had an explosion of knowledge, particularly in math, where I out excelled my peers without much effort at all. That year, at 16, I scored well above proficiency in all subjects.. I even excelled in advanced math which was enjoyable even know it offered no challenge whatsoever. I was dubbed as the smart kid in class. I felt great. I was still awkward and spacey, so I still received a kind of stigma of being an idiot lol

Later in high school, I discontinued adderal to avoid the side effects. Things spiraled out of control from there. No matter how hard I tried, I could not grasp concepts very well; my grades plummeted, and I was back to self doubt nearly dropping out of school. Thinking about my studies was too difficult.

Now, after taking a year off, I'm a sophomore in college.. When I take my meds (not often), the work is boringly simple and I get extremely annoyed with easy and slow lectures. I crave for more difficult work. However, off them I fall behind because I just can not think right.

What's my issue? I've always been taught that iq is a set quality... An iq test at 8 years old concluded me at 75(I could not focus on that test). At 17, medicated, as a prt of a psych evaluation, I took a cognitive test that described my intellect as "exceptionally high". Not to mention the placement testing results from "needs improvement" to "well above proficient".

Does this make sense to anyone? How is this possible? Similar experiences?
The Following User Says Thank You to nvblair95 For This Useful Post:
Amphitrite (07-14-17)
Old 12-13-16, 12:23 AM

Bamausn is on a distinguished road
Re: Can anyone relate to my experience? IQ fluctuations

I want to respond to your post but I am new and wish to post my own story that could help you , can I only reply at this point?
Old 12-13-16, 12:27 AM

nvblair95 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Can anyone relate to my experience? IQ fluctuations

I am new too, so I too am unfamiliar with this layout.. im still all ears and would appreciate anything you would have to share
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-16, 12:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

Jeftheginger is a jewel in the roughJeftheginger is a jewel in the roughJeftheginger is a jewel in the rough

Eh it is fine.
I think...
Well I will take the blame if I am wrong
but I think you are totally good.
Old 12-13-16, 01:43 PM

Faraway is on a distinguished road

though - of course - I know very little about you, IŽd say what you describe sounds quite "usual" for ADHD/ADD.

Thats why having ADHD/ADD can be rather annoying.

Just consider the better test the more realistic one - meds dont make you smarter, they just help you to use your potential properly.
Old 12-22-16, 11:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,146 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

I think the issue you may be referring to is your high IQ but you still feel anxious and on the outside.The answer is it's all in your mind .
Old 12-22-16, 11:14 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,949 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvblair95 View Post
What's my issue?
ADHD

( on a more constructive note - break it up and MAKE it fun~challenging )
~ SB_UK ~
Old 01-02-17, 05:10 PM

emmaugoh is on a distinguished road

Your are obviously suffering from AdHD and thats the symtoms, there is a believe i have concerning Adhd that stems from the fact that, most of ADDERS are intelligent people who their brain works too fast than the normal person which tends to drift their attention if the focus at hand get slow or boring. LIke me, i was good in school when i was monitored in primary, i do come first out of 253 students in my class but as i was given more role in life and as i grew older and later given more space with nobody to monitor what i do with my time.. Thats exactly where i slipped and today, i cant finnish high institution coupled with my untreated Adhd
Old 06-19-17, 02:03 PM
Jr Member

noideaforaname will become famous soon enough

I did not read everything but want to response to the first post.
In my life I had four iq-tests whith very different outcomes.
From learning disorder to highly gifted everything was present. In my case this has nothing to with medication.
Problem is, that this does not only appear in iq-tests, but also in everything I do. It is like my brain works properly occacional. One time it does, next time it does not.
The Following User Says Thank You to noideaforaname For This Useful Post:
Amphitrite (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 06:41 AM
Jr Member

Amphitrite is on a distinguished road

I understand. I have had moments like this too, as the previous person said, for me it is not due to the meds (I was only recently diagnosed and I am still in the process of working out the right dose of methylphenidate), but it feels like my brain is working properly sometimes and I can appear quite smart, and at other times I feel like I'm mentally challenged and can't even string a sentence properly.