ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-17, 09:40 AM

ToInfinity will become famous soon enough
Bacopa for adhd

Has anyone tried it? If you do a search of it, countless on learning and memory. Doing a search of it on reddit's nootropic subreddit and you'll find countless of people using it for cognitive enhancer. People there say they notice a profound effect on their memory, a deficit that adhders lack in.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24682000

This one's a systematic review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27912958
Old 07-14-17, 07:32 PM

userguide is on a distinguished road
Re: Bacopa for adhd

It didn't help me with concentration, even made it worse. So the alleged memory benefit was not worth for me to wait for.
Old 07-15-17, 12:31 AM

ToInfinity will become famous soon enough

How can bacopa make concentration worse? For bacopa to work you'd have to take it For at least 12 weeks to see the full effect
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-17, 05:07 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,595 Times in 8,579 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToInfinity View Post
How can bacopa make concentration worse?
Sometimes drugs (and I include supplements in that) don't have the desired effect on everyone. Occasionally antidepressants can trigger suicidal thoughts, stimulants can make people feel tired, and so on.

Also, as a general rule, anything strong enough to have an effect is strong enough to potentially have unwanted side effects -- and those side effects can sometimes negate or outweigh the benefits.

It's nice to see research on Bacopa, though the systematic review pointed out that most of the studies thata have been done were of relatively low quality (without controls, without blinding, etc.). Hopefully more rigorous studies will be done if there seems to be potential.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
someothertime (07-16-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 07:06 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,077 Times in 12,623 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

My only concerns would be that there are tons of reviews and articles from mostly pro-supplement, pro-homeopathic/naturalpathic/health and nature sites with not so many studies and cited reviews that would be considered peer reviewed type sources. Anything that is heavily promoted and sold by numerous health food sites also make me skeptical. The other thing is when you do some digging it seems its better used in the short term, so maintainence therapy can be questionable and most of the studies were done on healthy people and the elderly with no signs of cognitive impairments so I cant see how its been extensively studied on treating the disorders its purportedly good for.

With that said there does seem to be great potential for it and I hope the scientific community picks it up for more studies.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 08:38 PM

userguide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToInfinity View Post
How can bacopa make concentration worse? For bacopa to work you'd have to take it For at least 12 weeks to see the full effect

I think it gave me extra physical energy. Made me physically agitated, not wanting to sit.

Maybe it helps with memory but you need to sit and read something to actually remember it, and I found it harder on b.

At the same time it made me calmer emotionally.