ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 07-17-17, 07:53 AM
Jr Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
What to expect during ADHD assessment?

After waiting seemingly forever, I am finally going to be assessed for ADHD on Thursday.

Thus far, all I know is that I will be asked questions about my childhood by two individuals, and they want me to print off and complete two questionnaires (which I am yet to receive) prior to the meeting on Thursday.

Is there anything else that I should expect to be asked?

I sincerely hope it's nothing like my ASD assessment, where it felt as if my IQ was being tested.
Old 07-17-17, 08:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,118 Times in 12,645 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What to expect during ADHD assessment?

There are no tests for adhd so if they claim their are, especially if they cost you a lot of money, I would be skeptical. They should take a thorough history- and I mean thorough as in your childhood, your childhood impairments, you adult life, adult impairments and coping skills. If you have any records or school reports from your childhood thats good too but not required. I would recommend calling to get those surveys. You want to make sure you arent rushed when finishing them.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 07-17-17, 11:32 AM
Jr Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
There are no tests for adhd so if they claim their are, especially if they cost you a lot of money, I would be skeptical. They should take a thorough history- and I mean thorough as in your childhood, your childhood impairments, you adult life, adult impairments and coping skills. If you have any records or school reports from your childhood thats good too but not required. I would recommend calling to get those surveys. You want to make sure you arent rushed when finishing them.
It's facilitated by the NHS, so I cannot doubt its credibility.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-17, 04:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
It's facilitated by the NHS, so I cannot doubt its credibility.
I wasnt doubting its credibility either, just sharing.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 07-18-17, 04:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,940 Times in 2,459 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

There may be tests.... but these should be to rule out other possibilities.

There should also be a long history taking and there may be more IQ type tests.
Old 07-19-17, 07:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

All I meant was if there is a "test" for adhd to be wary, because there are no specific tests for adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 07-19-17, 01:36 PM

Thanked 5,940 Times in 2,459 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

I get that there are no tests for ADHD, however it's important to follow that by saying that a good psych will be testing for other things that are testable. Likewise they may use scoring questionnaires such as EMWSS to build up the best picture of their patient they can in the time available.

Each clinician will have their own way of doing this.

People going for an ADHD assessment who have taken on board the "There's no test for ADHD" without understanding that tests are an integral part of the diagnostic process, might be sceptical about their psych's skill and credibility if tests are administered.

Tests are a mark of a good clinician, not a bad one.
Old 07-19-17, 04:29 PM
Contributor

PoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman View Post
I get that there are no tests for ADHD, however it's important to follow that by saying that a good psych will be testing for other things that are testable. Likewise they may use scoring questionnaires such as EMWSS to build up the best picture of their patient they can in the time available.

Each clinician will have their own way of doing this.

People going for an ADHD assessment who have taken on board the "There's no test for ADHD" without understanding that tests are an integral part of the diagnostic process, might be sceptical about their psych's skill and credibility if tests are administered.

Tests are a mark of a good clinician, not a bad one.
I've noticed in all my ADHD books, that some ADHD experts really like tests and some are a little more ambivalent about them. I recently got a book by J. Russell Ramsay and Anthony Rostain, Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Adult ADHD: An Integrative Psychosocial and Medical Approach (Second edition, 2015). Both of these authors are cofounders of the Adult ADHD Treatment and Research Program at the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine and I can tell from their book that they really like doing lots of tests as part of the diagnosis process.

Ari Tuckman, the author of Integrative Treatment for Adult ADHD, seems more ambivalent about them. He writes (p. 43):

Quote:
Because of their lack of specificity with this diagnosis, traditional psychological and neuropsychological testing instruments should not be considered de facto parts of an ADHD assessment (Gordon, Barkley, & Lovett, 2006). They're good tools, but not for this job, so they should not be used beyond their capabilities - for example, a hammer will indeed get the cap off a beer bottle but it is not the best way to accomplish that goal. Rather, these instruments are most helpful when there is a credible suspicion that there is a comorbid condition, such as another neurological disorder, a learning disability, or a cognitive or emotional factor, that is either confounding the diagnostic picture or better explains the symptoms; or if there is too much inconsistency across the other data to make a diagnosis confidently.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)

Dx: AD/HD-PI
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-19-17)
Old 07-19-17, 06:15 PM

Thanked 17,806 Times in 9,531 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

One thing is for certain, be sure to wear clean underpants.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-19-17), PoppnNSailinMan (07-19-17)
Old 07-20-17, 10:43 AM
Jr Member

CasioCurious is on a distinguished road

They have to go through a lot of digging in your past, especially childhood to make sure your not just stressed out or depressed. So, you have to be honest with yourself and the doctors.