ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-17-17, 03:28 PM
samiejg samiejg is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 8
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
samiejg is on a distinguished road
Biphentin Starting Dosage?

Hey Guys!

About a week ago, my doctor prescribed me a starting dosage of 30MG Biphentin to help treat attention/focus issues with ADD.

It could just be some sort of placebo effect, since I know it can take time for the medication to work, but it really felt like it was helping the first couple days I was taking it.

Now though, I haven't noticed any difference over the last few days. Is it normal during the starting dosage that the effects can be non-existent?

She mentioned about coming back in two weeks to up the dosage, but they're so busy, it took about 6 weeks to get in there for the first appointment, and now it's going to take another 6 weeks for that follow-up appointment after seeing her secretary on the way out.

I have an important event coming up that I think will require a lot of attention/focus. I know a doctor wouldn't approve of it, but would it be terrible if I were to take a double dose on that day? (in the hopes with it will be beneficial for me)

I'm an adult (also 350 LB) and I read that the dosages can range all the way up to 80 MG. So I'm thinking there wouldn't be anything dangerous about taking 60 MG (two 30MG dosages).

... Or I dunno :P Maybe that medication is just not working for me and I need to try something else..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-17, 04:24 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 25,035
Thanks: 5,553
Thanked 29,290 Times in 13,274 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biphentin Starting Dosage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiejg View Post
Hey Guys!

About a week ago, my doctor prescribed me a starting dosage of 30MG Biphentin to help treat attention/focus issues with ADD.

It could just be some sort of placebo effect, since I know it can take time for the medication to work, but it really felt like it was helping the first couple days I was taking it.
Stimulants work right away so you would know if there were any side effects or benefits to them.

Quote:
Now though, I haven't noticed any difference over the last few days. Is it normal during the starting dosage that the effects can be non-existent?

She mentioned about coming back in two weeks to up the dosage, but they're so busy, it took about 6 weeks to get in there for the first appointment, and now it's going to take another 6 weeks for that follow-up appointment after seeing her secretary on the way out.
Most doctors are able to get established patients in for med checks because those appts are usually like 15 minutes. Are you saying they cant do that and you stll have to wait 6 weeks? Were you told that or is it something you are assuming?


Quote:
I have an important event coming up that I think will require a lot of attention/focus. I know a doctor wouldn't approve of it, but would it be terrible if I were to take a double dose on that day? (in the hopes with it will be beneficial for me)
You shouldnt take extra medication even though it seems like no big deal. They are controlled substances and you will run out of medication early. Plus, how are you going to share with the doctor that extra medicaton worked if you arent supposed to take more than prescribed?

Quote:
I'm an adult (also 350 LB) and I read that the dosages can range all the way up to 80 MG. So I'm thinking there wouldn't be anything dangerous about taking 60 MG (two 30MG dosages).
Stimulants are not dosed on weight. A child could have effectiveness from a dose higher than an adult.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-17, 01:21 PM
samiejg samiejg is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 8
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
samiejg is on a distinguished road
Re: Biphentin Starting Dosage?

Thanks for the reply Sarah! From what I understand, the doctor I have is just extremely busy. Appointments for my spouse and children seem to take the same amount of time, so we end up going to the clinic for small stuff, or the hospital for anything serious, and they send the details over to the family doctor.

Apparently there are many (thousands and thousands) of people in my city that do not have a family doctor (in a waiting list or something). Maybe that's because I live in Canada, and a lot of stuff is free.

I was told by the doc that she wanted to see me in 2 weeks, but the secretary said they are all booked up for 6 weeks. Infact, she even said that the doctor is oncall for the hospital that day, so it's possible she might not even be able to make the appointment.

In regards to it being a stimulant, she told me it's only "sort of" a stimulant (not sure if this matters). I'm guessing maybe because it's the type of medication where the pills have a delayed release (so that it's spread out longer throughout the day).

I wasn't really worried about running out of medication, because I was only going to do it for like one day that I think I will really need it.

... and yeah :P I don't think I would tell my doctor what I did, but atleast maybe I would have an idea of if a higher dose medication would help. From there maybe I could just tell her what I said here about how it seemed to work at first.

I never knew that stimulants weren't based off weight But does it make any difference when it's only "sort of" a stimulant? (with the delayed release?)

I guess the thing I'm wondering the most here though is... on a delayed release "sort of" stimulant, was I just experiencing placebo the first couple days? Or is it possible it's not working for me anymore because my body is too used to the starting dosage?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 07-19-17, 04:51 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 25,035
Thanks: 5,553
Thanked 29,290 Times in 13,274 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biphentin Starting Dosage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiejg View Post
I was told by the doc that she wanted to see me in 2 weeks, but the secretary said they are all booked up for 6 weeks. Infact, she even said that the doctor is oncall for the hospital that day, so it's possible she might not even be able to make the appointment.
Have you told the office that she wanted to see you in two weeks? I would leave a message and ask the doctor to call you back. Whatever message you can leave to get a phone call would be good and then once you get the doc on the phone tell them your plight and i bet the doc will fit you in.
Quote:
In regards to it being a stimulant, she told me it's only "sort of" a stimulant (not sure if this matters). I'm guessing maybe because it's the type of medication where the pills have a delayed release (so that it's spread out longer throughout the day).
All that delayed release or xr means is that some of the medication is released right away and then the rest is released about 4 hours or so later, sort of like if you were taking ir meds every 4 hours.

Quote:
I never knew that stimulants weren't based off weight But does it make any difference when it's only "sort of" a stimulant? (with the delayed release?)

I guess the thing I'm wondering the most here though is... on a delayed release "sort of" stimulant, was I just experiencing placebo the first couple days? Or is it possible it's not working for me anymore because my body is too used to the starting dosage?
Like I said, I do not believe it was placebo because some of the medication would have been released right away.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
samiejg (07-19-17)
  #5  
Old 10-27-17, 09:21 AM
samiejg samiejg is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 8
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
samiejg is on a distinguished road
Re: Biphentin Starting Dosage?

Hi @sarahsweets

Just wanted to provide an update on this.

I've talked to the DR office about the wait times, but they're just too busy. I'm now on 80mg now. Going from 30 to 60 seemed to have a good effect for the first couple days but stopped. Then later switching from 60 to 80 has had no effect

I realized a trick though... If I stop taking the biphentin for a couple days and THEN take one, they work again.

Do you think thats bad of me to do? Like letting it get out of my system so I can make them work for me again?

Got another appointment coming up soon. Going to ask her if that's ok. Hoping its not a big deal.

My doctor did say (the day she moved me up to 80g) that biphentin is weight based. Is that true? I know you said before that it's not, so just wanted to clarify. I know doctors can be wrong too Or maybe mine is different because its control-based. I guess it would make sense though and would explain why its not working for me. I also mentioned that ontop of my weight that im tired a lot and she agreed that can make it more difficult for the medication to be effective too.

Anyways been exercising and losing some weight too. Hoping that will help in the future. But so far.. Not yet :P
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-17, 01:55 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 17,833
Thanks: 17,898
Thanked 23,881 Times in 11,053 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Biphentin Starting Dosage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiejg View Post
Hi @sarahsweets

Just wanted to provide an update on this.

I've talked to the DR office about the wait times, but they're just too busy. I'm now on 80mg now. Going from 30 to 60 seemed to have a good effect for the first couple days but stopped. Then later switching from 60 to 80 has had no effect

I realized a trick though... If I stop taking the biphentin for a couple days and THEN take one, they work again.

Do you think thats bad of me to do? Like letting it get out of my system so I can make them work for me again?

Got another appointment coming up soon. Going to ask her if that's ok. Hoping its not a big deal.

My doctor did say (the day she moved me up to 80g) that biphentin is weight based. Is that true? I know you said before that it's not, so just wanted to clarify. I know doctors can be wrong too Or maybe mine is different because its control-based. I guess it would make sense though and would explain why its not working for me. I also mentioned that ontop of my weight that im tired a lot and she agreed that can make it more difficult for the medication to be effective too.

Anyways been exercising and losing some weight too. Hoping that will help in the future. But so far.. Not yet :P
The doctor is wrong, biphentin (methylphenidate) is not weight based.
It is a stimulant. Stimulants are not weight based.

Some people are quick metabolizers and may do better on two doses per day
than one large one. Some people do better on dexamphetamines than they
do on methylphenidate, but that may not be an option in Canada. It's also
possible that a non-stimulant like Welbutrin or Strattera might work better
for you. And some have found Omega 3 fish oil supplements work very well.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
samiejg (10-27-17)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for opinions about my changing my current Adderall dosage skizzytrildo Adderall 12 05-25-17 05:03 PM
Is my Ritalin LA dosage too high? DarkGhost909 Ritalin 6 09-27-14 10:58 PM
Increasing Dosage Helps Minimize Side Effects?? After50 Adult Diagnosis & Treatment 2 06-08-11 08:30 PM
First post, dosage question SEAAAAAAAAAAAAN General ADD Talk 0 05-29-11 06:18 PM
Buspar, headaches and high starting dosage? RestlessAbbey Anti-Anxiety/Benzodiazepines/Beta Blockers 2 10-30-09 03:52 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums