ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-12, 09:46 PM

Jism1990 is on a distinguished road
My concentration span is atrocious

My concentration span is atrocious. It's rare that I can last more than about ten minutes before my mind (I'm glad I fixed the toilet) wanders off on its own to (I wonder how far below the ground that electric cable is buried) (argh... it's happened again) other completely unrelated thoughts to those I should be thinking.
As you can see from this post - those thoughts are documented in parentheses (wow that's hard to spell, like apostrophe) (hey - apostrophe is like catastrophe... I wonder what strophe means, because apo is greek for something like 'across'?, and kata is greek for 'down', let's have a look on google... ah... 'apo' is away and strephein is 'to turn' so catastrophe means 'turning downwards' which makes some kind of sense) (ooh... learn to proofread... 20 per hour for proofreading) (ah... so it's Greek Katasrephein - to ruin/undo) (where was I) that I can't really get a sentence out without wandering all over the place.

Anyone know tips for (ooh... I'm hungry) (I wonder if that's because I just read something about a turkey with rosemary and basil) improving concentration? Do other people's minds flit about as much as mine?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jism1990 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-02-12), Edmund (03-02-12), NickL30 (03-03-12), RawrDinosaur (03-03-12)
Old 03-02-12, 10:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Brob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud of
Re: My concentration span is atrocious

Nope, I can focus on any task for

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall
Nelson Mandela

The Following User Says Thank You to Brob2 For This Useful Post:
Tabbycat (03-02-12)
Old 03-02-12, 10:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Brob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud of

as long

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall
Nelson Mandela

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-12, 10:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

as it takes

Nelson Mandela

Old 03-02-12, 10:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

but I have to take

Nelson Mandela

Old 03-02-12, 10:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

short breaks or I lose it.

ETA- if you don't have a real issue with concentration (excluding hyper focus, should it exist) you don't belong on this forum!

Nelson Mandela

Old 03-03-12, 01:25 PM

RawrDinosaur is on a distinguished road

LOLO I was always always wondering about random **** that always caught my eye. I could never pay attention. College was a nightmare. Add meds ftw.
Old 03-03-12, 02:43 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,031 Times in 556 Posts
Twiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to behold

I can't even concentrate on writing this response without having my mind wander to other random distractions.

Rx= Nothing. Can't due to medical reasons.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
Old 03-03-12, 02:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,124 Times in 12,603 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless I'm extremely interested (or got an immediate, important deadline), I can't concentrate on anything. Sometimes not even for a minute. My thought process (if you can call it a process..it's more like a headless chicken running about) seems to be just like yours.

I love google. I wonder how people used to live without it. What did they do when they had a random question pop up in their mind??? Random, infinite knowledge (or rubbish) at my fingertips??? It's the bane of my existence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Edmund (03-03-12), PoppyBlossom (03-07-12)
Old 03-03-12, 05:16 PM

Tenkoy will become famous soon enough

I've come to believe that, at least from my experience, my attention span is directly tied to how actively involved I am in something. This meaning that I am actively doing something instead of passively observing.

Why am I able to pay so much attention to a video game? Why is it so much easier to remember what you read in a manual when you have a problem with the device than when you're simply reading it all in one sitting? Because there's an active component involved. You're "doing" something with the information that you're recieving.

I firmly believe that most of us with ADD simply need an active component for our attention to work right. It's like our minds won't absorb what it's receiving unless it has a use for it or is doing something with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tenkoy For This Useful Post:
markadd (03-04-12)
Old 03-07-12, 02:07 AM

PoppyBlossom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Unless I'm extremely interested (or got an immediate, important deadline), I can't concentrate on anything. Sometimes not even for a minute. My thought process (if you can call it a process..it's more like a headless chicken running about) seems to be just like yours.
Eventually even immediate deadline pressure wasn't enough for me. It has to have a lot more weight behind it now. It's like I've developed a tolerance for it :P

Trying to read a book for class right now, I keep thinking about everything else instead of understanding the words. Fun