ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-12, 12:28 PM

MIDWESTWOMAN is on a distinguished road
Complete and Utterly Overwhelmed Rollercoaster

I just finished reading the not crazy, lazy, stupid book and one on spouse with ADHD this weekend.

I think I definitely have ADHD and my husband does too. Thankfully we seem to try to keep our lives together differently.

But I can really related to the rollercoaster thing. Every so often like 2 weeks, 3 weeks, a few weeks I get utterly and completely overwhelmed by life and all the decisions and responsibilities. I am trying soo hard to keep track and keep up on everything but it just all comes falling apart. I can't stop myself from impulsively signing up for more volunteer stuff, but I am completely overwhelmed with decisions and everything running my own business, keeping track of everything, trying to keep my ADHD husband together, doing everything.

He's more the can't find anything type. And I am more the impulsively do EVERYTHING type. I can't find or remember anything either but having 6 to do lists keeps me together sometimes.

Is there even hope to live a somewhat sane happy life? Is there hope for us? My mom definitely is the roller coaster impulsive type and his mom definitely embodies a lot of what he does. They don't have the most functional relations either.

Anyone have any book recommendations?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIDWESTWOMAN For This Useful Post:
KCTang (04-10-12), speculative (04-10-12)
Old 04-10-12, 01:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

tdsb12 is on a distinguished road
Re: Complete and Utterly Overwhelmed Rollercoaster

I would caution you against self-diagnosis. It is easy to read into a lot of things once you start reading symptoms but without a professional evaluating you (and I real professional with experience related to ADHD, not just a GP) then it is hard to say for sure what could be going on with you. I am pretty sure I am NT but in reading about ADHD I was like "wow, that is me, I am always on the go, get bored easy, etc" but in reality I don't meet enough of the criteria and of the things that I do meet, I don't think I have it in extremes enough.

So, my first suggestion would that both of you get diagnosed (if your husband hasn't been already). I have read a few books about ADHD and so far found them all interesting. Check out your local library, you may be suprised to find that they have a good selection and that way you can save some money. Not sure what was the second book you read but the Gina Pera book (Is it you, me or adult ADHD) is a good one regarding relationships. Delivered from Distraction is good, also, reading Taking Charge of Adult ADHD right now.
Old 04-10-12, 01:35 PM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

Yep the Gina Pera book is awesome.I'm sure there are some other good ones I'm just drawing a blank at the moment. If nothing else watch ADD and Loving It
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-12, 03:44 PM

MIDWESTWOMAN is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely check into those books