ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-26-12, 08:58 AM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute
Long post...scared..I may go in patient today, voluntarily.

Usually i'm pretty good at posting in the correct section- however I'm so distraught right now I'm just gonna post it here. Mods feel free to move it.

And that's a big "may" go in patient. My last pdoc visit a week ago today, I was in a severe depressive episode that she suggested the in patient program to detox me off all meds ( including benzos, yay!!) and see how I feel and act. She couldn't force me to do it as I did not indicate any suicidal thoughts.

I just can't stand living this way anymore. One of the meds I'm on, lamictal, was wonderful for a while. I didn't have a depressive episode in 5 or some weeks. When i would have a depressive episode, it wouldn't feel 'as bad' as I normally did ( I think with the help of the lamictal) and when I'm not in an episode, I don't feel 'happy or good or I don't even think 'normal'. Just the sick sadness in my stomach is gone on my 'good days'. Anyways the depressive episodes are now up to at least once a week now.

However, the episodes are completely ruining mine and my family's lives. I constantly ruminate and obsess over the past, causing many arguments with my dear boyfriend who always just tries to calm me down and love me through it- but I know it has an effect on him. I'm inattentive to my kids, I lay in bed crying with such an intense rage when I'm not arguing with my family or at work, and can even barely function there. I can't concentrate, my motor skills are slow and I generally just suck at my job.

Today I see the pdoc again. She said she was concerned about the depression and wanted to see me again today, which will have been a week ago. I'm seriously considering when I see her today that I'd like to try the in patient program.

I'm just really afraid as I've never went in patient before, and feel it may be a waste of time, afraid they are just gonna pat me on the back and tell me everything will be fine They really can't change my life, they can't go back and change things for me or heal the awful impairments I have.

I'm just really sick of trying all these meds, either they don't work at all, make me ill or they work for a while then slowly it seems that my body becomes immune to them and they quit working.

Has anyone gone in patient before? What was it like? Was it helpful?

"Oh Happy Day"
-Tmoney-
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raye For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-26-12), Fuzzy12 (11-26-12), mrs. dobbs (11-28-12)
Old 11-26-12, 09:11 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,538 Times in 1,945 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Long post...scared..I may go in patient today, voluntarily.

My doc never did that with me coz of having a HFA son and no family support but I reckon if I'd been in any other situation it would have happened.

I know it really sucks but try and hang in there. This will pass and in a few years time you'll still struggle but the struggle will be a lot less. Try not to let them pump you full of too much cr@p.

Best things I did were counseling and karate. Counseling to help me make sense of everything and karate to help release all the emotion and to build my confidence and get my anger under control.

I don't know if you have any injuries or anything but if you can, exercise to exhaustion do that coz it will help.
The Following User Says Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
Raye (11-28-12)
Old 11-26-12, 09:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,770 Times in 12,837 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

((((((((((((((((((RAYE)))))))))))))))))))))

Raye, I've never been an in-patient before but sometimes it seems tempting. I think, more than anything, it's a good opportunity to take some time out from the stresses and problems of daily life and focus on your well-being.

I really don't know anything about it though but I think, it might be worth a try. You can't lose anything, right? I mean, I'm not sure if you can lose anything, actually. Is there a cost involved? Can you take some time off, etc?

Sorry, I'm not helping. Anyway, fingers crossed and huge hugs. We are here for you!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Raye (11-28-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-12, 10:28 AM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

Could be good for you, to take you off meds and start again. To do this you need to be somewhere safe where you can be monitored. Many meds interact and can negate each other or produce unwanted side effects.

Be brave, how scary is continuing to live the way you are at the moment. If you get the opportunity to go in as an inpatient I would be tempted to take up the offer. But then again, Im not you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquarePeg For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-26-12), Raye (11-28-12)
Old 11-26-12, 12:32 PM
Forum Guru

dogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to behold

I've been before and it's not so bad. It's sometimes good to get off all the meds that we keep getting added on to others and start fresh. You'll be in a safe place and the benzo withdrawal can be monitored. You'll have 24 hour care. There may or may not be group sessions you can attend on different topics.

Just know if you check yourself in, you can always check yourself out if it's not the place for you. They can't keep you there unless you're involuntarily committed with a court order. Sometimes it's good just to take a break from your life.

I don't know if you'll get this post before your appointment, but hang in there.

(((huggsss)))
The Following User Says Thank You to dogluver358 For This Useful Post:
Raye (11-28-12)
Old 11-26-12, 06:44 PM
The Social Committee LIVES

Thanked 17,722 Times in 8,884 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Raye

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Raye (11-28-12)
Old 11-26-12, 06:47 PM
Contributor

Dmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of light

I've been in multiple times for different reasons.... they have the reputation for being ******* horrible and I experienced the same. Foods awful too. God... its like astronaut mana.... *shutters*

But good luck

Oh and I have ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmitri For This Useful Post:
Raye (11-28-12)
Old 11-26-12, 06:49 PM
Contributor

Dmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of lightDmitri is a glorious beacon of light

Also, note that my experiences were terrible because I was FORCED to stay there. Might not be bad if it was voluntary... psychopathic rehab was the worst... Its like /b/ irl. Traumatic.

Oh and I have ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmitri For This Useful Post:
Raye (11-28-12)
Old 11-26-12, 07:27 PM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Raye, sometimes that's the only way to get treated seriously. It's not the best way to get treatment, but it might be the way to go so you can be seen by multiple physicians and observed for longer than a 40 minute session. Hang in there - hope you get the help you need. And yeah, this section is a fine place to put this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-28-12), Raye (11-28-12)
Old 11-28-12, 03:27 AM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all who replied. I had about a 36 hour stay. I was released because I was not an immediate threat, just severely depressed with feelings of 'being better off dead' but no thoughts/plans on harming myself.

So I was referred to intensive out patient therapy for 2 days a week and one of my meds were changed from risperdal to wellbutrin. The pdoc decided to keep me on meds rather than detox me off them, thinking it would be more beneficial at this stage to keep me on them.

I can say the only 'bad' part of my stay was that my over the counter meds were not in order. I was in pain most of the evening and night and by early morning I had to demand that the nurses have an on call pdoc order them in for me.

But in group therapy I can say there was some people there a lot worse off than I.

I'm glad that they got me in for therapy- had I of tried to do it myself it would have been a 3-4 week wait for my intake appt. They got me in for tomorrow

and to top it off, the place is only a 10 minute drive from my house, where as my last was nearly an hour away and wasn't beneficial to me anyways.

"Oh Happy Day"
-Tmoney-
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Raye For This Useful Post:
Amtram (11-28-12), BR549 (11-28-12), crystal8080 (11-28-12), demuregeek (11-28-12), Dmitri (11-29-12), ginniebean (11-28-12), Lunacie (11-28-12), mrs. dobbs (11-28-12), sarek (11-28-12), Unmanagable (11-28-12)
Old 11-28-12, 03:54 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,248 Times in 8,588 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy to see you are on track. That med change just might be a good way to start along with the outpatient work.
Amtram (11-28-12), Raye (11-28-12)
Old 11-28-12, 04:05 AM

Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,211 Posts
mrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see this before, I'm glad you made it through and that it wasn't as bad as you feared. Hugs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrs. dobbs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-12, 09:38 AM

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see that it wasnt so bad for you, I hope you continue to do well, well done for being so brave.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquarePeg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-12, 02:55 PM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like things are going to start changing for the better, Raye. Glad to hear it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Raye (11-28-12)
Old 11-28-12, 04:33 PM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all

Yay, glad to see that things are getting a little better for you, Raye <3
Raye (11-28-12)