ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-13, 10:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,218 Times in 2,401 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes, I'm convinced that I'm utterly stupid

I've been feeling this way more and more lately, and isolating myself from people. Anyone else feel the same about his or herself?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eclectic beagle For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-28-13), Arei (01-27-13), Joker_Girl (01-26-13), Spacemaster (01-29-13), starry (01-26-13), Unmanagable (01-26-13)
Old 01-26-13, 10:12 PM

Thanked 10,521 Times in 5,692 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sometimes, I'm convinced that I'm utterly stupid

yes alot and it isnt really any good I dont think but when IM around people I dont feel like I fit in stay stupid things that make me look idiotic or people just annoy the general bejezus out of me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
addcolin (01-27-13), Arei (01-27-13), eclectic beagle (01-26-13), Joker_Girl (01-26-13), Unmanagable (01-26-13)
Old 01-26-13, 11:19 PM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not stupid. I know I'm not stupid. I'm just wondering why other people think I am!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-28-13), Arei (01-27-13), Spacemaster (01-29-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-13, 11:29 PM

eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtram View Post
I'm not stupid. I know I'm not stupid. I'm just wondering why other people think I am!
I suppose that's a good attitude to have.
The Following User Says Thank You to eclectic beagle For This Useful Post:
Amtram (01-27-13)
Old 01-26-13, 11:35 PM

Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,111 Posts
Joker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeJoker_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you're stupid!

I don't think I'm stupid, either. More crazy. Seriously, I am not even teasing, I really am pretty nuts.

The Drifters Game:http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141997
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joker_Girl For This Useful Post:
Amtram (01-27-13), eclectic beagle (01-27-13)
Old 01-26-13, 11:49 PM

Tomfoolery is on a distinguished road

I get this feeling sometimes. Especially when I'm trying to make a joke or something, to me I could make lots of perfectly logical steps to come up with something that I find quite funny, and my friends will just be completely lost and think I'm an idiot. By the time enough time has passed that they have actually thought about it and understood why I've said what I said, the timing is gone and is replaced with awkward silence because I ruined the nice humorous atmosphere with a joke nobody else seems to get. Makes you feel pretty low and pretty stupid when you're just trying to have a laugh, and you end up being the person that kills it for everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomfoolery For This Useful Post:
eclectic beagle (01-27-13), splinter (01-30-13)
Old 01-27-13, 02:03 AM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I often feel that way, especially in conversations lately. I used to be so eloquent... now, not at all.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 01-27-13, 03:36 AM

t o m c a t is on a distinguished road

I also feel very stooopid a lot of the time. My concentration and organization are so debilitatingly bad I may as well be retarded. Much of the time I'm so into my own little world, I can't even function in society.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t o m c a t For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (01-27-13), splinter (01-30-13)
Old 01-27-13, 04:48 AM

Gadfly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
....or people just annoy the general bejezus out of me.
I can relate to you. Another thing I do is isolate as I feel people just tire me out and wreck my head. It may look like a superiority attitude but it really isn't. I'm drawn only to a certain type of person.

Small talk and standing around trying to think of something to say is the worst of all.

And like a previous post, I can feel retarded.

Last edited by Gadfly; 01-27-13 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Perfectionism.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadfly For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (01-27-13), splinter (01-30-13)
Old 01-27-13, 04:57 AM

Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

yeah especially females or the opposite sex.I try to be part of people or a group and it seems like it eventually turns on me and its either a putdown contest or people think its funny nd joking w me but the comments made to me are just braindead and distateful towards me and I retreat and the wall goes up ever so higher ...siigghh...
Old 01-27-13, 05:21 AM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

yes, for sure. I even posted a thread on here last week about how I was feeling better emotionally, and that I just felt 'stupid'.

It's not great feeling this way, I know. And I'm sorry I don't have any great advice for you , just know you aren't alone.

"Oh Happy Day"
-Tmoney-
The Following User Says Thank You to Raye For This Useful Post:
eclectic beagle (01-27-13)
Old 01-27-13, 05:23 AM

Thanked 6,259 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalNomad View Post
I've been feeling this way more and more lately, and isolating myself from people. Anyone else feel the same about his or herself?
I do the same, but I can point to a multitude of reasons why. It's part embarrassment, part distance, part weather... and to an extent, I just feel kinda tired (not as in depressed, just not super motivated). I actually started to consider that it was the SSRIs, so we'll see if things change at all now that I stopped taking them.

I was going to ask if you felt that isolating yourself was a bad thing, but I guess the title of this thread answers that question. Honestly, I think with age most of us tend to isolate ourselves more and more... I'll likely never be as social and outgoing as I was in my teens. If that is something that you want to change, you're going against the current. I think it's a natural part of being human and not restricted to that which brings us all together on this site.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
eclectic beagle (01-27-13)
Old 01-27-13, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
I do the same, but I can point to a multitude of reasons why. It's part embarrassment, part distance, part weather... and to an extent, I just feel kinda tired (not as in depressed, just not super motivated). I actually started to consider that it was the SSRIs, so we'll see if things change at all now that I stopped taking them.

I was going to ask if you felt that isolating yourself was a bad thing, but I guess the title of this thread answers that question. Honestly, I think with age most of us tend to isolate ourselves more and more... I'll likely never be as social and outgoing as I was in my teens. If that is something that you want to change, you're going against the current. I think it's a natural part of being human and not restricted to that which brings us all together on this site.
I see isolation as a good and detrimental thing, because it may ease short-term stress (for some individuals), but it causes long-term harm. For instance, I isolated myself during my teens, and while I felt reduced stress during those periods, I also felt tremendous anxiety when having to leave the house, this only increased as I continued to isolation myself.

Also, because I isolated myself during the years when the brain is still developing (and after a certain point, starts pruning), I caused myself irreparable harm. It seems that attempting to make positive changes in mental processing ability might be fruitless.

This is early, so excuse any glaring errors.
The Following User Says Thank You to eclectic beagle For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (01-29-13)
Old 01-27-13, 01:51 PM

Me isiolating in high school has left me w few if any true blue friendsI wsh I would of known this 24 years ago that my future by doing this would be so cold an lonley now.
Old 01-27-13, 06:10 PM
Contributor

Arei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to all

I feel this way as well. I've pretty much isolated myself from most of my friends and family, but then I don't feel too bad when plenty of them feel that it's ok to hurt my feelings and expect me to always take what crap they dish out, but if I feel bad then it's automatically not ok. I get blamed and called stupid or just made to feel bad by many other people, so then I don't feel so bad about being around certain folks.

But PLENTY of stuff is of my OWN doing, and letting idiotic people tell me I'm a stupid person and then letting myself believe that is my OWN FAULT. Just letting people get under my skin to the point of feeling like this is totally my fault and now I've got turn it around and fix it... but I don't feel it's worth repairing relationships with people like that anyway, I think I did a lot of damage that's going to be held over my head if I even try, so I'd just rather find myself a new place.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arei For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (01-27-13)