ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-21-13, 09:33 AM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,111 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Today was a day like no other

Today I went to an open day at the local college and found myself enrolling into a dual Diploma qualification in Counselling and Community Services Work, originally I wanted to do Nursing but my intuition told me it wasn't right for me and that I should go down this path which I did, I start on the 3rd of July and have a really good feeling about this...

Tonight I did a lot of thinking and I kinda felt like I was invincible...briefly just because I enrolled into this course, this course will bring out my true character and intelligence and allow me to tap into other mental abilities that I either forgot I had or didn't know I had and I found myself thinking about all the people who told me that I would never amount to anything, that I wouldn't get a real job beyond my first job at McDonald's, that I would be nothing more than a toilet cleaner and other such " lovely and encouraging" words (note the sarcasm) and for many years I stupidly believed all of this and it almost destroyed a decade of my life but somehow I climbed back up and while I'm not usually someone who does things to prove people wrong because I think it's a waste of time and I couldn't care less what they think anyone...I do want to say one thing...just this once, it's not gonna be nice but I need to get it off my chest.

Each and everyone of you who were insecure and pathetic enough to try and take someone else down and break their spirit...well you can all take your negativity, criticisms, judgements and unkind words and stick them all where the light doesn't shine and go and f**k yourselves...that goes for anyone on this forum whose had shots at me in the past too because none of you were worth it!!

I know better now, I know I'm not stupid ,I know I'm worth something and I know I can make a positive difference and contribute to society.

That is all

Sel x
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Crazygirl79 For This Useful Post:
ADD me (06-22-13), doiadhd (06-22-13), Fraser_0762 (06-21-13), NickL30 (06-22-13), someothertime (06-21-13), stef (06-21-13), tudorose (06-22-13), TygerSan (06-21-13)
Old 06-21-13, 09:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,719 Times in 12,448 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Today was a day like no other

Sel, so glad you've that you followed your intuition and found something you love and are good at. I'm sorry that the people around you weren't more supportive but you did it anyway. Great job!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-21-13)
Old 06-21-13, 09:52 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,381 Times in 2,961 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Amen Sister
~ SB_UK ~
The Following User Says Thank You to someothertime For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-21-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-13, 09:54 AM

Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fuzzybear...hope you don't mind me callin' you that..when I see the word fuzzy I think of bears in the story books I used to read as a kid lol

I was kind of disappointed that my intuition didn't guide towards the nursing qualification as I have already have the first level nursing qualification under my belt and I wanted to upgrade but it wasn't meant to be...I guess I can still do nursing on the days I don't go to college as I only have to attend classes 2 and a half days a week.

Sel x
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazygirl79 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (06-21-13)
Old 06-21-13, 09:54 AM

Someothertime: Amen isn't a word I normally use but I'll say it tonight lol, thanks!

Sel x
someothertime (06-21-13)
Old 06-21-13, 09:56 AM

Thanked 5,042 Times in 2,490 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey good stuff. Keep up the positive attitude!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-21-13)
Old 06-21-13, 09:57 AM

Thanks Fraser!! You're not a bad guy...just sayin'

Sel x
Fraser_0762 (06-21-13)
Old 06-21-13, 09:58 AM

Thanked 26,719 Times in 12,448 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygirl79 View Post
Thanks Fuzzybear...hope you don't mind me callin' you that..when I see the word fuzzy I think of bears in the story books I used to read as a kid lol

I was kind of disappointed that my intuition didn't guide towards the nursing qualification as I have already have the first level nursing qualification under my belt and I wanted to upgrade but it wasn't meant to be...I guess I can still do nursing on the days I don't go to college as I only have to attend classes 2 and a half days a week.

Sel x
I love bears and to be honest, sometimes I think of myself as a little furry animal

Nursing isn't off the table, like you said. I also think that a diploma in counselling and community services might actually be very useful for a nurse as well. And vice versa. Whatever you decide to do in the future, I've got a feeling that you'll do it brilliantly. You've got the right attitude for it!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
ADD me (06-22-13), Crazygirl79 (06-21-13)
Old 06-21-13, 10:07 AM

Hahaha speaking of furry animals I jokingly call T a furry rat because he's a hairy guy and he jokingly calls me fat rat as I'm a little on the heavier side but it's all in good fun lol..Oh and we have a furry, fluffy and fuzzy orange cat called Garfield too!!

I had the option to do one Diploma but I looked into it further and realized that I would be better off doing the dual qualification (the Counselling and Community Services qualifications can also be done as separate qualifications) and come to think of I probably would experience some difficulties in some aspects of the nursing qualification due to having a non-verbal learning disability which affects my ability to do mathematics and that's required for nursing...man I'd also make a sh*t cardio nurse, I'd kill the patients by accident I'm sure of it lol...I struggled with the heart stuff in the Nursing Assistant course and if I ever did nursing the only areas I could get into and do well in are mental health and aged care but that would be as far as I could go as they're the easiest areas to do...

Somewhere in my heart lies a deep affection and compassion for people with Autism especially low functioning Autism and I have done some work experience in this area mainly with children though and I could see myself going down that path too...

Sel x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazygirl79 For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (06-21-13), Fuzzy12 (06-21-13)
Old 06-21-13, 12:24 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,330 Times in 12,448 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

so happy for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-21-13)
Old 06-21-13, 07:33 PM

Thanks Stef!!

Sel x
stef (06-22-13)
Old 06-22-13, 04:30 AM

Thanked 5,940 Times in 2,459 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing a counselling course.....learning that kind of stuff is SOOOOO useful for me because it's all about learning how people tick and how to interact in a way that brings connection.

However.... word of warning.... I had a ghastly experience on a counselling course a year ago....though the tutors are teaching counselling and community it doesn't mean they or your fellow students follow through on those concepts.

Have fun, but keep the shields up (at least for a while)

kilted
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-22-13)
Old 06-22-13, 06:13 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,537 Times in 1,944 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Sel I've always believed in you and that you can do great things. You so deserve that!
The Following User Says Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-22-13)
Old 06-22-13, 09:35 AM

Thanks Tudorose, that's real nice of you to say that!

Kilted those course are good not only to learn about other people but also about ourselves as well, I will take care during my learning, it's going to be used as a pathway into a social work degree and because I'm doing this dual Diploma once I finish I will only have to do 2 years out a 4 year social work degree as I transfer the credits from the dual Diploma over to the degree and that cuts out a lot of study time...

Sel xx
tudorose (06-23-13)
Old 06-22-13, 01:14 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 707 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

Congrats!!! There is always time to go back and do nursing!! I wish now that I would gone the route that you are going instead of nursing school which I am in now!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (06-22-13)