ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-14, 02:38 AM
psychopathetic's Avatar
psychopathetic psychopathetic is offline
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming, USA
Posts: 8,309
Thanks: 25,151
Thanked 12,421 Times in 6,140 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Had a great session with my therapist today!

lol...don't ask. I just feel like typing right now! ...I'm SUPER tired (only a few hours of sleep last night...been a very long couple of days)...but I feel compelled to talk!

...So I've been frustrated with my therapist over the last 8 or so months. Since I started to discover that I have add.
She admitted to me from the start that she knew almost nothing about adhd, that she's never had a client with adhd that she was aware of, and that she's had no education or training on adhd.
I asked if she knew of any other therapists who did have experience around here...but she claimed that there isn't (part of living in a really small town).

But it's been her attitude with me. The "advice" she gives me...the slogans she uses...it just really gets under my skin and she's just continuously shown that she just does NOT get me or adhd one bit.
And it's been dam difficult.

I've actually had several members on these boards reach out to me and express down right anger towards my therapist and who have expressed how much they wished I'd drop her.
But I just haven't. She's the best therapist I've ever had and she's done a TREMENDOUS amount for me and my life over the years.

I might have an unhealthy reliance on her...I don't know. But I do know that I'm not ready to let her go yet in my life. I'm getting there...just not yet. I'm willing to suffer through her ignorance for now in order to continue seeing her (on an as needed basis atm).

Anyhow, she has this whole "Get up and just DO IT!" attitude. She often tells me things like "You'll stop doing [whatever habit or bad behavior it is] once it stops working for you.", or "Sometimes you just have to take 1 foot and slide it off your bed, and the rest will follow". She's also super into the Nike slogan "Just Do It!" which drives me absolutely nuts...For example I was trying to express to her how far behind I was in college during the fall semester (the semester I dropped out)...and she asked me point blank..."can you still catch up?". And I thought for a minute...and I decided that yeah, I probably could "physically" catch up. I mean it wasn't technically impossible...but I tried to further explain to her how I freaking couldn't! That I felt paralyzed and overwhelmed. I was drowning and sinking fast.
Her advice? "Just Do It!". She just kept going on and on about how I just had to start and just do it!
And I mean...I know she was right.
But what she doesn't understand...is that when I'm in that space in life...that mindset or whatever it is...my "Just Do It!" button inside of my brain is completely broken.

It's like she wanted me to 'man up' or 'cowboy up!' and just 'get'er done!'.
And I always felt like she was frustrated with me because she thought I just wasn't putting enough effort into things, or I was being lazy and not applying myself enough. That it was character flaws that were preventing me from doing what I needed to do.
But it wasn't :*(. I wasn't being f'ing lazy. I was sick! Very sick!
I've been freaking sick my entire life!
And I'm NOT using that as an excuse. It's just the freaking truth. It is what it is!
If it were as easy as manning up and just doing things...I wouldn't be a 31 year old unemployed man with such a large trail of failure.
...

Grrrr lol

...and I've been holding all of this in over the months with her. All this frustration with her. All this bitterness towards her not getting me or adhd.

...and today...I finally spilled it all out with her.
I did it in a very easy going way though! I am highly pleased with how I handled it! I was able to tell her all of this in a very non-judgmental way. I wasn't angry with her.
And she responded very well...and she completely opened up and admitted that she does have these beliefs and attitudes that I described above, and that she has been recently trying to work on toning it down.

She also revealed some really awesome insights with me.
...she explained to me that she has an almost envy of me and some of her other clients...that she wishes that she knew what it was like to have to deal with adhd during my toughest moments with it, that she wishes she's experienced deep depression, or extreme paranoia.
She feels she misses a lot and just can't relate to a lot of clients because she doesn't understand at an intimate level what it's like for us. That she sometimes has a very hard time trying to figure out what to say, or what advice to give...because she simply just can't relate.
She's afraid she comes off as cold and distant and unsympathetic sometimes because of it (like I've been feeling with her over the last months).
It all just makes so much sense to me, and really helps me understanding of her side of things better.

I do think she wants to help me...she's just struggling to figure out how right now. She understands so little about adhd...and she also opened up a little about how she has crossed a line and let her own personal beliefs overshadow her professional non-judgmental stances on things.
She said that she catches herself sometimes questioning people or making small judgements about people.
For example she said that she's caught herself rolling her eyes (in her mind...not really in reality) and thinking to herself "Yeah right!" when a client with depression says something like they couldn't get out of bed and get whatever needed to be done, done because they were to depressed. That her initial snap judgement was to think that person was only trying to make an excuse.
And she admitted it's something she is not happy about...she doesn't mean to make these internal judgements and that she has been working on it.

But you know what? I make these same exact judgements! All the freaking time! And I too don't mean to. I feel like crap when I do it...
I think it's just human nature.

It was just nice that she admitted this to me and opened up so honestly about it with me.

...
It was just a wonderful, powerful, open and honest conversation with her. A talk I've been holding back on having with her for months.
And I think she needed to hear it from me.
I explained that sometimes my "Just Do It!" button is broken and that slogan is completely useless to me during those times. And I really think she got that today...I don't think she's gotten that fact in the past. But I think it really sank in for her today.

I asked her what she thought if I told her that I consider my adhd to have been a Severe and Chronic Disability for me.
And...she very sympathetically fully agreed with that!
It just felt very warm to me. I wasn't sure how she'd take that statement. Me openly saying that I have a severe and chronic disability.

And it led into a cool talk about excuses...about how I have a big fear that I'm eventually going to start using adhd as excuses on why I can't do things...that I don't want excuses, that I'm just wanting answers and reasons...a way to understand why I struggles so freaking much in life.
And she told me she hasn't seen me use it as an excuse at all. That I just continue to move right along in life...even after big struggles get thrown my way (cancer, developing diabetes, my struggles with college, my dad's heart attack and continued heart issues, my current kidney issues...etc. etc.).
She has seen no signs of me looking for excuses...and it was just nice hearing that directly from her.

I do very much so enjoy her approval. It does mean a great deal to me.

.......
I know I'm just rambling on and on. This isn't really meant for anyone to read I don't think. It's more for me...I needed to write up another journal entry...I've just really been needing someone to talk to all day haha. To just talk.
I don't know why. I guess sometimes I just need to get stuff out!

It was just a wonderful talk with my therapist today. It was a talk I've been meaning to have with her for months now...and it turned into such an open, non-judgmental, honest discussion. I think we both learned just so much about each other today...we both walked away understanding each other's view points a little more and that feels great to me!

I've been so upset with her. So frustrated with her attitude towards me...her lack of understanding of my adhd. I was getting so sick of her slogans and her lack of empathy.
But now after today, I really do think there's hope lol.

It's a learning process. Neither of us knew a thing about ADHD-PI just 10 months ago. ADHD was never a consideration for me...it came out of nowhere (me pretty much self-diagnosing myself and then seeking a proper diagnosis from a professional after that fact), and she just wasn't prepared for it (like I said, she knows very little about ADHD).

I just feel like after the conversation we had today, that my therapist is going to be more open minded and try to come to a better understanding of my struggles with ADHD...
And that I will be more patient and understanding of her struggles of trying to help me with this.
It feels like such a big step in my therapy...like there's hope in the future. That she very well may be able to help me with my ADHD after all. We're just trying to figure things out lol.

.......

lol jeeze. I'm afraid that once I hit that "Submit New Thread" button, that the weight of all these words in this post are going to be so heavy that it's going to cause an earth quake or something!

Like I said...I guess I just really needed to talk! haha.
Been quite a while since I've posted such a huge freaking post!

__________________


((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
DistractedLemur (06-04-14), Fuzzy12 (06-04-14), Lunacie (06-04-14), Snapdragon (06-04-14), someothertime (06-04-14), stef (06-04-14), Stevuke79 (06-04-14)
  #2  
Old 06-04-14, 03:04 AM
psychopathetic's Avatar
psychopathetic psychopathetic is offline
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming, USA
Posts: 8,309
Thanks: 25,151
Thanked 12,421 Times in 6,140 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Had a great session with my therapist today!




My bad!
Sorry about that guys!!

__________________


((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
DistractedLemur (06-04-14), Fuzzy12 (06-04-14), someothertime (06-04-14), stef (06-04-14), Stevuke79 (06-04-14)
  #3  
Old 06-04-14, 03:30 AM
dvdnvwls dvdnvwls is offline
Mr. BllVt
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anywhere I can
Posts: 14,917
Thanks: 1,278
Thanked 17,942 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Had a great session with my therapist today!

psychopathetic:

It sounds as if you had a great session in terms of doing some work educating her about some of the basics of ADHD.

It sounds as if you are a good friend to her.

It may not be popular or what you wanted to hear, but... the fact that you're able by months of great effort to drag your therapist up to speed on a few of the basics, and get her to admit that what she's been doing for months has been not very helpful or in some cases worse than useless, is not really an occasion to rejoice. The fact that you can help your therapist along is not really going to benefit you all that much, though it may perhaps benefit her future clients. The fact that she has been good to you in the past is... in the past. For your own sake, get someone who knows what they're doing regarding ADHD. Someone who is ahead of you and can show you the way, not someone who is a straggler you have to pull along.
__________________
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (06-04-14)
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 06-04-14, 03:34 AM
DistractedLemur's Avatar
DistractedLemur DistractedLemur is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Europe
Posts: 219
Thanks: 225
Thanked 287 Times in 145 Posts
DistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really niceDistractedLemur is just really nice
Re: Had a great session with my therapist today!

Sounds like you helped your therapist. Like you switched roles for a little bit there.

I think you'd make a great therapist!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DistractedLemur For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-04-14), Lunacie (06-04-14), psychopathetic (06-04-14)
  #5  
Old 06-04-14, 03:39 AM
psychopathetic's Avatar
psychopathetic psychopathetic is offline
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming, USA
Posts: 8,309
Thanks: 25,151
Thanked 12,421 Times in 6,140 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Had a great session with my therapist today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIO&U View Post
For your own sake, get someone who knows what they're doing regarding ADHD. Someone who is ahead of you and can show you the way, not someone who is a straggler you have to pull along.
(((((((AEIO&U)))))))

I would. I want this SO badly...I'd LOVE to have someone who knows wtf they're doing with ADHD work with me.

But I live in a very small town in the middle of wyoming, and as far as I'm aware (and as far as my therapist is aware), there is no one around my town that has any experience with ADHD.

My psychologist has some knowledge of adhd as her daughter had it...but she just deals with my meds...I want someone to sit down and talk with.

I hate having to be a 'teacher' to my therapist. I don't want to be a teacher...I need someone who can teach me with this whole ADHD thing!

But I don't know what I can really do about that.

The nearest town that'd probably have someone with experience with adhd is about 3 hours away...I'm not sure I like the idea of taking trips back and forth once or twice a month just for hour long sessions with a new therapist.

Any suggestions?

I would like to see someone, and I do think I'd be open to dropping my current therapist for someone who was experienced with helping people with ADHD...it's just that experienced therapist just doesn't exist where I live .
__________________


((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-04-14, 03:42 AM
dvdnvwls dvdnvwls is offline
Mr. BllVt
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anywhere I can
Posts: 14,917
Thanks: 1,278
Thanked 17,942 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Had a great session with my therapist today!

I'm in a city, but I've been working with an ADHD coach who does his sessions over the phone anyway.
__________________
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-04-14), psychopathetic (06-04-14), Stevuke79 (06-04-14)
  #7  
Old 06-04-14, 04:04 AM
Fuzzy12's Avatar
Fuzzy12 Fuzzy12 is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 17,905
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 29,939
Thanked 26,719 Times in 12,448 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Had a great session with my therapist today!

Psycho..you are just incredibly amazing!!!! I mean, I've known that before but after reading this post it really hit me again!!!

Forgive me for sort of dissecting your post. I realise that it's probably more meant as a blog post but there are some things I'd like to address anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post

Anyhow, she has this whole "Get up and just DO IT!" attitude. She often tells me things like "You'll stop doing [whatever habit or bad behavior it is] once it stops working for you.", or "Sometimes you just have to take 1 foot and slide it off your bed, and the rest will follow". She's also super into the Nike slogan "Just Do It!" which drives me absolutely nuts...For example I was trying to express to her how far behind I was in college during the fall semester (the semester I dropped out)...and she asked me point blank..."can you still catch up?". And I thought for a minute...and I decided that yeah, I probably could "physically" catch up. I mean it wasn't technically impossible...but I tried to further explain to her how I freaking couldn't! That I felt paralyzed and overwhelmed. I was drowning and sinking fast.
Her advice? "Just Do It!". She just kept going on and on about how I just had to start and just do it!
And I mean...I know she was right.
But what she doesn't understand...is that when I'm in that space in life...that mindset or whatever it is...my "Just Do It!" button inside of my brain is completely broken.
I guess, the biggest problem with ADHD is that we can't just do it. Like you said, the "just do it" button is broken. It's not a moral failing, it's not our fault. We just aren't wired that way. Meds, I have found at least, don't completely fix this button. They are more like an inferior, make shift button in the absence of a full, complete solution.

At least we can't just do it the way NTs do it. But then in way, your therapist isn't completely wrong. At some point, it really all comes down to just doing it, to taking the first step (which for me, and many others I suspect, is the most difficult step) and to keep taking one little step after the next. Meds, behavioural training and creating a conducive environment can make this a bit easier or maybe they are what makes it possible at all but those steps are still something that we need to do.

I've been looking for that button, the "on- switch" my entire life and slowly I'm starting to believe that at least for me, there is no button that will instantaneously switch my state from non-functional to completely (NT) functional. However, there is a number of buttons that I can switch on, one after the other, that make functioning easier.

To use a silly analogy, I've been looking for the switch that turns on the flood lights in my life but what now I'm finding instead is a number of candles that temporarily light a small part of my path and each candle that I light makes it easier to find the next candle.


Quote:
It's like she wanted me to 'man up' or 'cowboy up!' and just 'get'er done!'.
And I always felt like she was frustrated with me because she thought I just wasn't putting enough effort into things, or I was being lazy and not applying myself enough. That it was character flaws that were preventing me from doing what I needed to do.
That's a terrible things for a therapist to do, consciously or unconsciously. Irrespective of her beliefs, she shouldn't let her own frustration get in to the way of providing therapy. Therapists shouldn't moralise or make us feel guilty because that just doesn't help at all. Yes, we all judge and moralise as you said, and therapists are humans as well after all, but then I think, a big part of their job requirement is the ability to not be judgmental or to let personal feelings interfere with their work.

Quote:
...and today...I finally spilled it all out with her.
I did it in a very easy going way though! I am highly pleased with how I handled it! I was able to tell her all of this in a very non-judgmental way. I wasn't angry with her.
And she responded very well...and she completely opened up and admitted that she does have these beliefs and attitudes that I described above, and that she has been recently trying to work on toning it down.
This is what really impresses me about you. You have this incredible ability of saying what you think without making others feel bad about it. I've noticed it in other threads as well that even when you disagree, somehow you do it in such a nice, non confrontational and, more importantly maybe, open minded way that the other person (or I, at least) gets the feeling that

1. It's definitely worth having that discussion with you because you are open minded and fair enough to accept sensible arguments and you aren't afraid to change your mind

2. What you say (or the reason why you are disagreeing) is definitely worth thinking about because otherwise you wouldn't say it

3. being convinced by you does not involve a loss of face or standing. It's not like losing an argument but it's really just an open discussion where the only intention for all members involved is to learn and understand

Sorry, I don't think, I'm expressing myself very well and I'm trying to be brief (and failing terribly at it ) because my post is getting super long and I'm not sure if I haven't already lost you.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that if there is someone that can actually help a therapist understand and learn new things, and to motivate and inspire them to learn new things, it's you.

Quote:
She also revealed some really awesome insights with me.
...she explained to me that she has an almost envy of me and some of her other clients...that she wishes that she knew what it was like to have to deal with adhd during my toughest moments with it, that she wishes she's experienced deep depression, or extreme paranoia.
She feels she misses a lot and just can't relate to a lot of clients because she doesn't understand at an intimate level what it's like for us. That she sometimes has a very hard time trying to figure out what to say, or what advice to give...because she simply just can't relate.
She's afraid she comes off as cold and distant and unsympathetic sometimes because of it (like I've been feeling with her over the last months).
It all just makes so much sense to me, and really helps me understanding of her side of things better.
Again, your desire to understand her side of things is amazing!! I'm not surprised she was able to open up to you. How professional that is, I'm not sure but it seems in this case it was the right thing to do and it has improved your relationship.

In fact, I think, it hasn't just improved your relationship but probably her relationship with or her ability to provide better therapy to all her patients. It sounds like she learnt a lot from your conversation and I need to give her credit as well for being open minded and honest enough to take on board what you say, seriously consider it, re-examine her own attitude and be willing to try to change. She genuinely seems to want to improve and to help her patients.

Based on the other things you have said about her in your post, I think, her judgmental-ness and inability to understand or empathise might have seriously impaired her ability to provide therapy but this talk with you has probably made her a better therapist or at least sent her in the right direction.

Quote:
I asked her what she thought if I told her that I consider my adhd to have been a Severe and Chronic Disability for me.
And...she very sympathetically fully agreed with that!
It just felt very warm to me. I wasn't sure how she'd take that statement. Me openly saying that I have a severe and chronic disability.
I think, ADHD is a disorder that very few people understand, ironically, maybe especially because our symptoms on their own are something that everyone can relate to but what they can't relate to is the severity and the constant presence of these symptoms and the overall effect they have on every aspect of our life. I think, invalidation, is a problem that a lot of us have dealt with and if you get diagnosed late in life it might be an even bigger and more painful problem.

So yeah, validation means a lot to me too. Most of it I get here, on ADDF but also since my diagnosis my husband, in particular, has made almost a complete u-turn in his attitude to me and my impairments. He still doesn't completely understand (and I don't expect him to) but he accepts and acknowledges now that my issues are real and valid, irrespective of his understanding. That really means the world to me (and to him as well I think, because now he knows that my issues are really not a moral failing or a sign of me not caring enough, etc.). Anyway, sorry for the tangent.

Quote:
And it led into a cool talk about excuses...about how I have a big fear that I'm eventually going to start using adhd as excuses on why I can't do things...that I don't want excuses, that I'm just wanting answers and reasons...a way to understand why I struggles so freaking much in life.
And she told me she hasn't seen me use it as an excuse at all. That I just continue to move right along in life...even after big struggles get thrown my way (cancer, developing diabetes, my struggles with college, my dad's heart attack and continued heart issues, my current kidney issues...etc. etc.).
She has seen no signs of me looking for excuses...and it was just nice hearing that directly from her.
I have that same fear..that I'm just looking for excuses for my failing. Still not sure about myself but your therapist is right. I have not seen any signs of you looking for excuses. On the contrary. You've been through so much, you actually do have valid excuses but I really think that all you are looking for are reasons, understanding and ways to improve.


Quote:
I know I'm just rambling on and on. This isn't really meant for anyone to read I don't think. It's more for me...I needed to write up another journal entry...I've just really been needing someone to talk to all day haha. To just talk.
I don't know why. I guess sometimes I just need to get stuff out!
Ahem...yeah, me too.

Sorry, for the counter rambling reply!!






PS: I agree with the others about her ability to really help you with your ADHD specific problems. Even apart from her lack of understanding (which you hopefully have helped along the way), her lack of knowledge and experience of dealing with ADHD is a serious problem. I think, you really have helped her but can she really help you? You said she has helped you in a lot of other ways so I guess, you are getting something out of it, but hopefully you can also find a therapist, who specialises in ADHD, to help you with your specific problems. DVD's phone idea sounds really good.

PPS: Like our stripey lemur said, you would make a great therapist!!!!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (06-04-14), someothertime (06-04-14), Stevuke79 (06-04-14)
  #8  
Old 06-04-14, 01:42 PM
psychopathetic's Avatar
psychopathetic psychopathetic is offline
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming, USA
Posts: 8,309
Thanks: 25,151
Thanked 12,421 Times in 6,140 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Had a great session with my therapist today!

Omg FuzzBuzz...

This is the kindest reply anyone has ever given to me. I'm left a bit speechless!

I'm just completely flattered!

Quote:
This is what really impresses me about you. You have this incredible ability of saying what you think without making others feel bad about it. I've noticed it in other threads as well that even when you disagree, somehow you do it in such a nice, non confrontational and, more importantly maybe, open minded way that the other person (or I, at least) gets the feeling that

1. It's definitely worth having that discussion with you because you are open minded and fair enough to accept sensible arguments and you aren't afraid to change your mind

2. What you say (or the reason why you are disagreeing) is definitely worth thinking about because otherwise you wouldn't say it

3. being convinced by you does not involve a loss of face or standing. It's not like losing an argument but it's really just an open discussion where the only intention for all members involved is to learn and understand
Gah! I truly don't know what to say! lol...seriously. You've really touched me though! Made my whole week!

I do not deserve such praise!

Your reply to me here means the world to me! <3 I am just humbled by your praise and kind words to me here.

Thank you so much Fuzz.

__________________


((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-04-14)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great therapist in Southern California? drb471 California 0 01-26-14 05:02 PM
Therapist cancelled on me- really needed the session rainontheground General ADD Talk 4 09-05-13 09:30 PM
My therapist is just too amusing.... ArtGypsy Chit-Chat 20 03-29-11 07:27 AM
A great quote Bluerose Meditation and Spirituality 0 11-25-10 12:35 PM
How to fire a therapist? charlie Counseling & Therapy 18 09-30-04 01:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums