ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Were you the most sensitive child in your class ?
Yes, or I could definitely stand on the podium 14 73.68%
I am not sure, don't remember 2 10.53%
NO. 2 10.53%
Stupid question 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-17, 04:03 AM

userguide is on a distinguished road
Were you oversensitive as child ?

It has bubbled up in a few threads, that many of us were very sensitive.
What does it mean ?
How do you know that you were more sensitive than other kids ?

What if evey kid is as sensitive on average, over a week, let's say ?

Is oversensitivity an inherent feature or it is developed in the course of life of an unresponsive individual ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
MindBlind (07-21-17), someothertime (07-20-17)
Old 07-14-17, 06:35 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,297 Times in 12,431 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Were you oversensitive as child ?

I think it's an inherent feature,
I know I always felt upset or moved over things that other kids never even noticed, i tried not to show it...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (07-14-17), PolaBear (07-15-17), someothertime (07-20-17), userguide (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 07:19 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,069 Times in 12,616 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I was both sensitive and outgoing. I hesitate to say oversensitive because of the negative connotation that goes along with it.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
someothertime (07-20-17), stef (07-14-17), userguide (07-14-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-17, 08:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,968 Times in 4,874 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

No child is oversensitive unless invalidated and judged by someone else as being so.

Cheers,
Ian
Little Missy (07-14-17), Lunacie (07-15-17), someothertime (07-20-17), stef (07-14-17), userguide (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 11:31 PM

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Things Parents Can Do

Quote:
Understand that sensory sensitivity is a part of your children’s in-born temperament..
Quote:
...Acknowledge your children’s temperament and help them to understand their own temperament.
http://centerforparentingeducation.o...y-sensitivity/
Understand that emotional sensitivity is also part of you children's in-born temperament.

Acknowledge your children's emotional temperament and help them to understand their feelings/emotional temperament.

M
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
daveddd (07-14-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-14-17, 11:40 PM

Thanked 10,113 Times in 5,015 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

yes

you're likely born with it

barkley describes ADHD babys as having an irritable temperment
Lunacie (07-15-17), mildadhd (07-14-17), someothertime (07-20-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 12:51 AM

mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
yes

you're likely born with it

barkley describes...babys as having an irritable temperment
Is an irritable temperament, a more sensitive temperament?

M
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 12:57 AM

Thanked 10,113 Times in 5,015 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Is a more irritable temperament a more sensitive temperament?

M
i imagine if a baby was sensitive to the environment and emotions it would lead to irritability . Seeing as emotions as a baby are simply visceral responses to the world

sensitivity as an emotional response would require higher level functioning of thinking about feelings right?
userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
i imagine if a baby was sensitive to the environment and emotions it would lead to irritability . Seeing as emotions as a baby are simply visceral responses to the world

sensitivity as an emotional response would require higher level functioning of thinking about feelings right?
Visceral and somatic parts of nervous system converge in the mid brain brain processing area, first.

M
userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 02:30 AM

Some Possiblities?

-Irritable emotional temperament
-Irritable sensory temperament
-Irritable homeostatic temperament
-Irritable combinations of all three?

m
userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 06:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of light

Absolutely everything was a saga that's for sure! Stef had a good way of describing it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PolaBear For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (07-16-17), stef (07-15-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 11:18 AM

Thanked 23,072 Times in 10,647 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
No child is oversensitive unless invalidated and judged by someone else as being so.

Cheers,
Ian
It was my father that occasionally chastized me for being over-sensitive.

Dr. Barkley says adhd is not being OVER-emotional, it's an inability to control
our emotions. We are not generating too much emotion. We cannot regulate
normal emotions.

We are quick to anger, easily excitable, have low tolerance for frustration,
are easily angered by things around us, and display our emotions much more
quickly.

We have an inability to self-sooth, to self-calm, to moderate our emotions.
We struggle to modify normal emotions in order to be socially acceptable.

(from Dr. Russell Barkley's video "30 essential ideas you should know about
adhd, inhibition, impulsivity and emotion")

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (07-15-17), psychopathetic (07-15-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 11:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

Swissy is a jewel in the roughSwissy is a jewel in the roughSwissy is a jewel in the rough

Well, I was afraid and worried all the time. I was super sensitive to moody adults in that it caused me fear and the desire to be anywhere but there. My feelings were hurt very easily, too. I was (and still am) extremely empathic (and extremely empathetic) and am still greatly affected by the moods of others, even if they don't say anything. I often feel like it's so strong, it's a 6th sense. In that sense, yes, I was an extremely oversensitive kid. I still am. And I hate it. Idk if this has more to do with my ADD or the way I was treated. If I had grown up in a healthy, happy household I wonder if things would bother me as much as they do...

On the flip side there are times where (I tell myself) I don't g-a-f, but that doesn't usually last. I am externally a strong person now... the insecurities are more of an internal issue... so I don't appear to most people the way I have described myself above.

I am working on the art of not giving a f*** now, and am raising my kids to be confident, to know they are smart and to have faith in their own choices. I don't want them to feel like I do. So even when I am disciplining them, I remind them of how smart they are. So smart, in fact, that I know they can make good choices moving forward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
someothertime (07-19-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post

normal emotions.

quickly.

There seems like there is more than one way of looking at "over sensitive"

ADHD is often a top down commorbidity of bottom up mood disorders, autism, etc.

(Over-sensitive partly due to bottom up disorder.)

How could bottom up emotions be considered normal, if a person lacks top down emotion self control?

(Over-sensitive partly due to top down disorder.)

Some people may have inherited a more sensitive temperament.

Some people may have acquired a more sensitive temperament due to life experiences.

(Or combinations of both of inherited and acquired)

Specifics of individual over-sensitivity depends on "individual inherited temperament and individual circumstances." (Paraphrasing Dr. Mate)

M
userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 02:30 PM
Contributor

PoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post

normal emotions.

quickly.

That's interesting from Russell Barkley because I wonder if he's saying that all or most people with ADHD are quick to anger, easily excitable, etc.? For me, I've tended to be kind of oblivious to things going on around me and to be kind of absorbed in my own thoughts a lot of the time. I came across a blog post by some guy with ADHD called Kelly Babcock at PsychCentral. He does a blog called "ADHD Man of Distraction" and one of his posts in January of this year was called "ADHD Oblivion". He wrote:

Quote:
There is a state of mind, or perhaps a partial state of mind, that I sometimes, or possibly always am in, that keeps me unaware of many things around me.

I am oblivious to things.

Not all things, and not just important ones.

But when I become aware of the things that Iíve been missing, I am usually stunned, sometimes hurt, often upset.

Surprise!

It happens lots, yet I am always surprised.

And I donít know if it is my ADHD, or just a personal character flaw. Perhaps that is one of the things Iím oblivious to, though Iím obviously aware that there is a question, and thus I know that there must be an answer. I just donít know what the answer is.
https://blogs.psychcentral.com/adhd-...adhd-oblivion/

I kind of identify with some of what he's saying. When I was in middle school, there were a few kids who used to pick on me and call me names sometimes, and it probably hurt my feelings a little, but I suspect that a lot of the time, I didn't even hear that it was going on. I was kind of a loner and spent a lot of time by myself off in my own world. I did a lot of daydreaming. I often remember feeling surprised by things that I had been unaware of or a little upset, but I don't remember feeling truly angry or easily excitable most of the time.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of ďI'm Popeye the Sailor ManĒ): ďWhen I canít stop my fiddliní, I just takes me Ritalin, Iím poppiní and sailiní, man!Ē (ďBrotherís Little Helper,Ē Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)

Dx: AD/HD-PI