ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Were you the most sensitive child in your class ?
Yes, or I could definitely stand on the podium 16 76.19%
I am not sure, don't remember 2 9.52%
NO. 2 9.52%
Stupid question 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-17, 02:58 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 12,637 Times in 6,233 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Were you oversensitive as child ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
No child is oversensitive unless invalidated and judged by someone else as being so.

Cheers,
Ian
I think I see where you were trying to go with this, but I don't think it's nearly as black and as white as you've worded it. I take it as a bit of a harsh statement too...a bit snooty/overly judgmental.
I'm lucky enough to be friends with a couple guys who have autism and are over sensitive to certain things (such as even very slight wind blowing on them).
They react in such ways that if adults weren't there to help them through the situation...they can, have and will physically hurt themselves to try and get out of the situation.
We (as in me and my parents...their father, their grandparents, their teachers and the whole slew of other people who are an active part of their care team)...absolutely do consider this being oversensitive. Is that bad of us? Cause your statement makes me feel judged by you for calling them oversensitive.

I don't like the use of "invalidated" in your post. Maybe that's the specific word that's triggering me to get defensive about what you posted. Are we as care takers really invalidating the boys and being negatively judgmental because we view this as being over stimulated? As them being overstimulated?

Quote:
in∑val∑i∑date

inˈvaləˌdāt/
verb
past tense: invalidated; past participle: invalidated

make (an argument, statement, or theory) unsound or erroneous.

((((((((((((((MOM))))))))))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

Last edited by psychopathetic; 07-15-17 at 03:12 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (07-15-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 03:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,512 Times in 10,866 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
I think I see where you were trying to go with this, but I don't think it's nearly as black and as white as you've worded it. I take it as a bit of a harsh statement too...a bit snooty/overly judgmental.
I'm lucky enough to be friends with a couple guys who have autism and are over sensitive to certain things (such as even very slight wind blowing on them).
They react in such ways that if adults weren't there to help them through the situation...they can, have and will physically hurt themselves to try and get out of the situation.
We (as in me and my parents...their father, their grandparents, their teachers and the whole slew of other people who are an active part of their care team)...absolutely do consider this being oversensitive. Is that bad of us? Cause your statement makes me feel judged by you for calling them oversensitive.

I don't like the use of "invalidated" in your post. Maybe that's the specific word that's triggering me to get defensive about what you posted. Are we as care takers really invalidating the boys and being negatively judgmental because we view this as being over stimulated? As them being overstimulated?
I too have sensory disorder. I'm much more aware of certain sounds, smells,
touches, bright lights ... thankfully only a few tastes. I find them so much
more annoying than most people. Again, I probably struggle to filter them or
control my reactions. Some sounds make me almost homicidal.

Going out to eat can be an ordeal for my granddaughter and I instead of
enjoyable. I keep two pair of foam earplugs in my pocket for those occasions.
However, I can't wear them while I'm actually eating as they make the
sounds of my own eating too noisy. My granddaughter seems to have no
trouble wearing them and eating though.

Like Swissy wrote, sensing emotions may be kind of a sixth sense.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (07-15-17), someothertime (07-20-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 03:46 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,684 Times in 12,962 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
IMO using the term oversensitive when it comes to the autism spectrum is a misuse of the term. Emotional oversensitivity as it relates to this thread seems to be about being sensitive to criticism, other emotions, anger, fear, sadness. Sort of like being radio receiver that picks up everything including stuff thats not part of our scope.
I think when it comes to autism, oversensitivity is a poor choice of words. Overstimulation makes sense or even emotional dysregulation maybe.

Quote:
I think whenever someone feels something deep, and then is accused of feeling things too deep or at least a negative connotation is put on these emotions, that it can be very invalidating. Being told to stop feeling your own emotions in the way you cant help feeling them has more to do with the person calling you oversensitive. The discomfort the person feels makes them want to put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the person who is reacting and probably showing their emotions.
Invalidating is like a trick used to turn us inside out about how we were born.

i dont think what you and the other caregivers do has anything to do with oversensitivity as its described here, nor do I think you are invalidating or judging them.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-15-17), Little Missy (07-15-17), psychopathetic (07-15-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-17, 05:59 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

I do not understand how the awareness/education of more sensitive temperament could be a bad thing?

When a caregiver is punishing a child for having inherited hypersensitive/hyperreactive temperament, part of the problem is obviously a lack of awareness/education on the caregiver's part.

m
aeon (07-16-17), psychopathetic (07-15-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 08:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about

OK, so it may be genetic, it might be mistreatment (disregulation from misguided caregivers or bad environment). How about this :

There is no misregulation in emotional faculties of an adhd, the oversensitivity seems bigger solely due to the lack of context recognition.

For example: I see a wounded guy, suffering --> I feel sorry for him and it makes me sad and even hurt.

But what if he just a minute ago assaulted an innocent couple and got severely beaten ?
I didn't know that context because I didn't pay attention. Had I seen it, I wouldn't have been so sorry for the guy. So my feelings are perfectly in norm, I just didn't know what was going on.

Last edited by userguide; 07-15-17 at 08:30 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
daveddd (07-15-17), someothertime (07-20-17)
Old 07-15-17, 08:47 PM

Thanked 10,468 Times in 5,166 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
OK, so it may be genetic, it might be mistreatment (disregulation from misguided caregivers or bad environment). How about this :

There is no misregulation in emotional faculties of an adhd, the oversensitivity seems bigger solely due to the lack of context recognition.

For example: I see a wounded guy, suffering --> I feel sorry for him and it makes me sad and even hurt.

But what if he just a minute ago assaulted an innocent couple and got severely beaten ?
I didn't know that context because I didn't pay attention. Had I seen it, I wouldn't have been so sorry for the guy. So my feelings are perfectly in norm, I just didn't know what was going on.
that could be for someone

but it's pretty much accepted ADHD includes emotion dysregulation

the key here to is the endogenous component (which I'm sure many here relate), that takes it out of the contextual realm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25066432

Psychol Med. 2014 Dec;44(16):3571-83. doi: 10.1017/S0033291714001032. Epub 2014 May 15.
Everyday emotional experience of adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: evidence for reactive and endogenous emotional lability.

Skirrow C1, Ebner-Priemer U2, Reinhard I3, Malliaris Y4, Kuntsi J1, Asherson P1.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Emotional lability (EL), characterized by negative emotional traits and emotional instability, is frequently reported in children and adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). However, EL is primarily assessed using retrospective self-report, which is subject to reporting bias and does not consider the potential influence of positive and negative everyday experiences.
METHOD:
Ambulatory assessment was carried out in 41 men with ADHD without co-morbidity, current medication or substance abuse, and 47 healthy control participants. Reports of negative and positive emotions (irritability, frustration, anger, happiness, excitement) and the occurrence of bad and good events were completed eight times daily during a working week. Group differences in emotional intensity and instability were investigated using multilevel models, and explored in relation to bad and good events and the Affective Lability Scale - Short Form (ALS-SF), an EL questionnaire.
RESULTS:
The ADHD group reported significantly more frequent bad events, heightened intensity and instability of irritability and frustration, and greater intensity of anger. The results for positive emotions were equivocal or negative. Bad events significantly contributed to the intensity and instability of negative emotions, and showed a stronger influence in the ADHD group. However, covariation for their effect did not eliminate group differences. Small-to-moderate correlations were seen between intensity and instability of negative emotions and the ALS-SF.
CONCLUSIONS:
Adults with ADHD report heightened intensity and instability of negative emotions in daily life. The results suggest two components of EL in ADHD: a reactive component responsive to bad events and an endogenous component, independent of negative everyday events.
aeon (07-15-17), Little Missy (07-15-17), Lunacie (07-15-17), someothertime (07-20-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 08:57 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
It was my father that occasionally chastized me for being over-sensitive.

Dr. Barkley says adhd is not being OVER-emotional, it's an inability to control
our emotions. We are not generating too much emotion. We cannot regulate
normal emotions.

We are quick to anger, easily excitable, have low tolerance for frustration,
are easily angered by things around us, and display our emotions much more
quickly.

We have an inability to self-sooth, to self-calm, to moderate our emotions.
We struggle to modify normal emotions in order to be socially acceptable.

(from Dr. Russell Barkley's video "30 essential ideas you should know about
adhd, inhibition, impulsivity and emotion")
great stuff

though i think, for me at least, regulating emotion is more than a social nicety

it can lead to chronic emotional disorders and interfere with daily tasks and goals

I'm still thinking our emotions are more intense than the population, recent research is heading that way at least

Barkley hasnt really done any ADHD stuff in 6-7 years, and we know how much can change in even a year in mental health research

hes shifted focus to SCT
aeon (07-15-17), Little Missy (07-15-17), Lunacie (07-15-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-15-17, 09:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about

endogenous emotional lability

- WTF is this ? (I mean practically how do you construct it ?)

If I am unemployable and undateable due to my ADHD and you give me a questionnaire and ask how I report about todays nice weather - What am I supposed to say ?
Would be great to see the Affective Lability Scale - Short Form (ALS-SF), an EL questionnaire.
Old 07-15-17, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post
endogenous emotional lability

- WTF is this ? (I mean practically how do you construct it ?)

If I am unemployable and undateable due to my ADHD and you give me a questionnaire and ask how I report about todays nice weather - What am I supposed to say ?
Would be great to see the Affective Lability Scale - Short Form (ALS-SF), an EL questionnaire.
emotions that originate from the mind or body without an external cause
aeon (07-15-17), Little Missy (07-15-17), Lunacie (07-15-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-15-17, 11:59 PM

Thanked 11,677 Times in 5,185 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We (as in me and my parents...their father, their grandparents, their teachers and the whole slew of other people who are an active part of their care team)...absolutely do consider this being oversensitive.
Yes, and that is a judgement on your part.

Your autistic friends are as they are.

Your use of the term indicates there is a level of sensitivity you consider normative, and a level that is not. How that is defined is something you have decided, and you have judged the level of your autistic friendsí sensitivity as being outside of that which is normative, as you have defined it.

That said, that descriptor is not inherent to your autistic friends. That is a judgement that has been applied to their persons.

Quote:
Is that bad of us?
I donít know, and I wouldnít choose to judge you one way or the other.

I described the nature of the chosen action.

Quote:
Cause your statement makes me feel judged by you for calling them oversensitive.
I made no comment on those who choose such an action, so Iím not quite sure where that is coming from.

And in any event, I canít make you think or feel anything. Your responsibility for your thoughts and feelings are your own.

Quote:
I wasnít speaking to those who choose to judge, but to the action itself.

And I donít know if you are being negatively judgmental or not. My sense is no, because your use of the term defines a context in which you are being helpful to the boys when they are not able to help themselves.

That said, what I spoke to originally is just that black and white. All living creatures are sensitive. To describe any of them as oversensitive is a judgement, by definition.

Cheers,
Ian
Little Missy (07-16-17), psychopathetic (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 12:46 AM

all the points have merit

while its shown adhd babys have an irritable temperament , only 50% of irritable/sensitive babies go onto ADHD

the reason is not known

attunement for regulation may in fact fail because of invalidation , while more even temperament babies may be able to compensate later in life. because ADHD in children is extremely common with narcissistic mothers

or the mother may be ADHD or depressed and lack the ability for regulation herself

or a true physical neurological thing a ma jig

likely many different etiologies
aeon (07-16-17), Little Missy (07-16-17), psychopathetic (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 03:59 AM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Emotional lability refers to rapid, often. exaggerated changes in mood, where strong. emotions or feelings (uncontrollable laughing. or crying, or heightened irritability or temper)
I wonder if a lack of top down neocortical emotional self-regulation could be considered a emotional lability of bottom up chronic anxiety and chronic depression, etc..?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-16-17 at 04:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 10:14 AM

Thanked 23,512 Times in 10,866 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Decided to google "oversensitive" and learned something new.

In some cultures sensitivity is considered an asset (as in Thailand or India),
while it's considered a negative trait in other cultures (North America).

My dad raised us kids as he was raised, that feelings were not anything to cry
about. I think feelings should be supported rather than invalidated.

My daughter cries at the drop of a hat, just as I did for most of my life. I am
less affected by hormones nowadays and I think the anti-anxiety meds level
out my reactions as well. I understand and still carry tissues because she never
remembers to do that herself.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 10:29 AM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
That said, what I spoke to originally is just that black and white. All living creatures are sensitive. To describe any of them as oversensitive is a judgement, by definition.

Cheers,
Ian
Thanks for taking the time to type up such a well thought out and clear response.

I don't know why, it's just your statement rubbed me the wrong way. I really do think it's the word "invalidated" that trips me up. It's just such a harsh word...and I DO judge the kids I hang with as being overly sensitive with certain things.
And then your statement makes me question myself...like am I not suppose to think they are? Is that wrong? Bad?
And that word! "invalidated". Ick. I mean I guess technically I do invalidate them...but what a negative way of putting it! It makes it sound like I'm mistreating them or something, when I go so far out of my way to not do so.
Like I treat them in a negative way because of the way they react with certain things, when that's the furthest thing I do.

I'm 1000% reading too much into your statement which I often do. /sigh.

I still read the statement and feel it's a bit judgemental though. Like you're trying to say that for 1 person to judge another person as being over sensitive about something, that person (the judger) is being "bad" or "negative" or something...and that you're above doing so and better than those who do.

Like I said. I'm reading waaaay too much into it.

/grrrr

Last edited by psychopathetic; 07-16-17 at 10:40 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-16-17), userguide (07-17-17)
Old 07-16-17, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
My dad raised us kids as he was raised, that feelings were not anything to cry
about. I think feelings should be supported rather than invalidated.
Thing that upsets me with my dad isn't just the fact that he wants nothing to do with talking about our feelings...
It's the fact that when you do, he'll often use your emotions and feelings to tease and to hurt you.
I might explain to him today that I watch a movie that really moved me and brought me to tears. He might be in a good mood today so he'll be all supportive and non-judgmental about it...like a real cool guy about it.
But then he'll get into a foul mood tomorrow...when we just happen to have some family friends to dinner...who he uses as an audiance to tell them all about his sissy son who watches 'women' movies and turns into a big sissy lala cry baby.
And he's only doing it to make me hurt. It's like it makes him feel good to do such things to me.
Then when I get super upset with him after everyone has left...it's not he doesn't get why I'm so angry. He was only kidding around after all and I need to learn to loosin up a bit in life stop being so sensitive!

**** you dad.

Anyone else experience this?

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
userguide (07-17-17)