ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-17, 11:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation
Have you noticed in the AD(H)D person a "thin skin"?

Have you noticed in the AD(H)D person a "thin skin"?

I have been told I care to much.

I take it as a complement.

Quote:
Quote:
Almost any parent with an AD(H)D child, or any adult living with an AD(H)D spouse, will have noticed in the AD(H)D person a touchiness, a "thin skin".

People with AD(H)D are forever told that they are "too sensitive" or that they should stop being "so touchy."

One might as well advise a child with hay fever to stop being "so allergic."

-Gabor Mate, "Scattered". Chapter 7 , "Emotional Allergies", p 59.

M
kwalk (07-17-17), Science112 (07-26-17), someothertime (07-19-17), userguide (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 08:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

userguide has a spectacular aura aboutuserguide has a spectacular aura about
Re: Have you noticed in the AD(H)D person a "thin skin"?

I do think it's a compliment

I hate when people tell me I care too much.

This sounds to me like "Come oooon, duuuude, let's not give a **** and have a beer" in the middle of a busy workday.

However, I don't think I have thin skin.

I don't think I don't either...

Good question - I don't know how to answer it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to userguide For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (07-21-17), mildadhd (07-18-17)
Old 07-16-17, 07:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,698 Times in 12,970 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Its the same scenario as being oversensitive. Being thin skinned implies that the person you are saying that to has a flaw or fault. Sure, maybe things might bother someone more than the next guy but that doesnt mean they are incapable of managing how they react. Certain things make us react strongly or not so strongly. And isnt it interesting that the people who say we are thin skinned are usually the ones who just got done criticizing us about something?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (07-21-17), Lunacie (07-19-17), mildadhd (07-18-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-17, 07:47 PM

I am not criticizing us.

M
Old 07-16-17, 11:49 PM

Thanked 21,894 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

i am thin skinned. Basically, there isn't anything wrong with being thin skinned but thicker skin, so to speak is more rewarded. In work life it can be a liability. In relarionships it, I guess, in the extreme, could be desrructive if there is a lot of offense taking but mostly I think loved ones have good intent.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (07-18-17)
Old 07-17-17, 12:40 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,432 Times in 5,999 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I am not criticizing us.

M
I don't think Sarah mean't that at all. I think it's true that some people who criticize or insult us often label us as "thin skinned" if we get angry, offended or upset. It justifies their behavior and eludes to Sarah's point.

You thinking she is calling you out for criticizing us is probably just your "thin skindness".

Last edited by Greyhound1; 07-17-17 at 08:06 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (07-21-17), Little Missy (07-17-17), Lunacie (07-19-17), mildadhd (07-18-17), someothertime (07-19-17)
Old 07-17-17, 02:35 AM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

More like repetitive criticism that I already have to deal with on my own level by myself -Inattentive to detail and there's detail in everything
-Scatter brain that doesn't make sense to people but it does to me and damn I try so hard to stay on topic and do really well.
-Getting faces making fun of me when I zone out like come on how about I make fun of your resting ***** face
- oh yea when I'm slow, like I'm trying to be slow. It's so hard for them to figure out I have ADHD or the fact that they know it and they don't connect the dots.
- oh yea when people make fun of me and go what??? Something I've gotten used to and some people I'm glad I don't talk to anymore.
- when people treat me like I don't know anything

I just see ignorance, lack of empathy, lack of understanding, and buttheads. The funny thing is though, I don't react most of the time and when I do when it's repetitive I either call them out on their crap or have a really good comeback.

So people call you thin skinned because they don't understand. I know it's one thing if you're in an emotional argument and you say something impulsive. That's really just disorganization in your brain really, not your fault.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (07-18-17)
Old 07-17-17, 03:07 AM

Quote:
thick-skinned

adjective

insensitive to criticism or insults.

synonyms: insensitive, unfeeling, tough, hardened, callous, case-hardened;

informal hard-boiled

"these guards have gotten pretty thick-skinned over the years"
Would it have helped if I instead asked...

"Have you noticed in the AD(H)D person a "thick skin"?"

I have never been called "hard-boiled"?

Is "hard-boiled" a complement?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-17-17 at 03:23 AM..
Old 07-17-17, 04:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,698 Times in 12,970 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I am not criticizing us.

M
I wasnt talking about you.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (07-18-17)
Old 07-18-17, 05:28 PM

-Can people born with more hypersensitive temperaments, stop having hypersensitive temperaments?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-18-17 at 05:43 PM..
Old 07-18-17, 05:45 PM

-How does being born with a more hyperreactive temperament influence our development?

M
Old 07-18-17, 09:56 PM

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

I think I am less hypersensitive now, so yes. I think it comes with awareness and then experience. Learning from the past.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (07-18-17)
Old 07-18-17, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk View Post
I think I am less hypersensitive now, so yes. I think it comes with awareness and then experience. Learning from the past.
I think I am probably as sensitive but awareness has really helped me, deal with things.

Inborn hypersensitive temperament can also help explain how early emotional distresses partly due to having a more sensitive temperament could slightly interfere with development of our self-regulation early in life.

M
Old 07-18-17, 10:59 PM

Parents aware of their childs inborn hypersensitivities, could learn to accommodate for these hypersensitivities instead of criticizing their children and making things worse.

M
someothertime (07-19-17)
Old 07-19-17, 09:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

diagoro has a spectacular aura aboutdiagoro has a spectacular aura about

I'm quick to react, to feel insulted, but have generally internalized it. But when taking adderall, it's a different game. I'm extremely sensitive, extremely touchy, and easily insulted......and I don't hold it in!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diagoro For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-19-17), mildadhd (07-19-17)