ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-10, 02:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Hyperfocus is not a superpower

Hyperfocus is not the same as focus. I think a lot of people with ADHD confuse "hyperfocusing on something" with just normal "focusing on something" because the focusing aspect is sometimes novel. Reading a newspaper is not hyperfocusing on a newspaper. Being able to pay attention while doing an enjoyable hobby is not the same as hyperfocusing on said hobby. Hyperfocus is a sort of manic obsession that far exceeds normal focus. When hyperfocusing, we often do things to the exclusion of other things. It's not a superpower - it's a fault, a liability, a symptom of inattention. It's not paying super attention to one thing, it's failing to pay attention to everything else.

People talk about how when they're hyperfocused on a task they don't hear other conversations and don't get distracted - this is not a good thing. This is a bad thing. It's a failure to pay attention to the world around you. Hyperfocusing means focusing so manically on something that you lose track of everything else. Someone who is hyperfocused will lose perception of time and will be unable to cope with interruption.

Quit talking about hyperfocus like it's a superpower. It's not. It's just another symptom of a disorder. Like I said, hyperfocus is not about paying attention to one thing really well - anyone without ADHD can do that - hyperfocus is about failing to pay attention to everything else in the world.
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (08-08-10), ADHDTigger (08-08-10), Amtram (08-09-10), Archon (08-09-10), bof00 (01-05-11), bradd (08-08-10), ditzydreamer (08-09-10), Dizfriz (08-08-10), Firebird (01-05-11), hopehope (01-04-11), indy (08-08-10), JollyBadger (08-08-10), K3vins (12-20-11), meridian (08-08-10), peripatetic (08-08-10), Proletariat (01-06-11), Ridgerunner (08-08-10), StarClout (08-08-10)
Old 08-08-10, 02:35 PM
Jr Member

pat05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hyperfocus is not a superpower

Hyperfocus is a term I didn't know until today, but I've wondered about it with my stepdaughter, who is afflicted from time to time with this malady. She gets concerned over a noise her car is making, this turns into an obsession that the slightly worn CV joint is going to somehow fly apart and make the tire come off the car. Next she absolutely positively can't live without another car, because the one she has is unsafe. It would be funny except it is truly a consuming obsession.

Same thing with the wedding ring given back to her brother by his exwife. It went from simple admiration to an obsession. She absolutely had to own it. Nothing else would do. When we became truly sick of hearing about it, I wondered how many additional hours she had wasted with the obsession. Over such a little thing.....

Definitely not a super power. Stage 4 level of concentration, OTOH, everyone can do it. That's how demanding jobs get done without error. It is not the same thing at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pat05 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-08-10), misterfelix (08-08-10)
Old 08-08-10, 02:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

ZiggyFry has a spectacular aura aboutZiggyFry has a spectacular aura about

Ouch. I hope I'm not the only person who likes to look at hyperfocus fondly.

Sin.Ziggy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZiggyFry For This Useful Post:
Komod0Dragon (08-10-10), mADD mike (08-08-10), marie-johanne (08-09-10), meadd823 (08-09-10), shysmile (01-04-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-10, 02:47 PM

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyFry View Post

Sin.Ziggy.
If you can great, but I have found that KMiller's observation is true for me. And while the other examples given sound more like obsession than hyperfocus, the key seems to lie in an INABILITY to shift gears when that would be the best thing to do.

I am fighting that battle right now as I sit here rather than doing the one task I gave myself for the day -- clean house -- and it's nearly 3PM here now!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (08-08-10), ADHDTigger (08-08-10), Amtram (08-09-10), ditzydreamer (08-09-10)
Old 08-08-10, 02:50 PM

Thanked 3,348 Times in 1,288 Posts
mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyFry View Post

Sin.Ziggy.
I look at hyperfocus very fondly. When put under the right circumstances, I can obsess and do really well at something. I've always referred to it as my "extra gear" that I can shift into at times if I can hype myself up. If I do it while cleaning in our business, I can absolutely clean like a crazy person. Yes, to the exclusion of other things around me, but I can flat out bust out the work. When I used to play basketball, I could hyperfocus and play out of my mind. I once beat my friends in a game of 1 (me) on 5 (them). It was ridiculous, something I'll never forget.

So, that's what hyperfocus is for me. In those types of instances, I'm not neglecting anyone or anything. I have one solitary thing to do, and it gets a focus that is beyond the norm for me, and from what others have said when they've seen me do it, beyond the norm for them as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mADD mike For This Useful Post:
Amtram (08-09-10), Komod0Dragon (08-10-10)
Old 08-08-10, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

angora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant future

I think people have different definitions of hyper-focus.

I use the term for when I have to do something that takes lots of concentration and thought and is something I'd really don't want to do but have to.

Tax returns are a good example. Once I have everything ready and organized I need everyone to leave me alone. I actually got my husband to take the kids away for a weekend one year. I chain smoke and drink copious amounts of coffee and work until the wee hours of the morning. Any interruptions are met with completely over the top reactions by me.
The Following User Says Thank You to angora For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-08-10)
Old 08-08-10, 03:21 PM

misterfelix will become famous soon enough

I'd LIKE to be able to shift into a hyperfocus gear, but more than not I end up stuck in hyperfocus before I'm really aware of it and then am unable to shift OUT of it. Controlling it runs completely count to KM's post. How did you develop the ability to control it, if you don't mind my asking?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterfelix For This Useful Post:
Amtram (08-09-10), marie-johanne (08-09-10)
Old 08-08-10, 03:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

angora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfelix View Post
I'd LIKE to be able to shift into a hyperfocus gear, but more than not I end up stuck in hyperfocus before I'm really aware of it and then am unable to shift OUT of it. Controlling it runs completely count to KM's post. How did you develop the ability to control it, if you don't mind my asking?
I'm not sure if you're asking me or maddmike or both but here's my answer.

I can do it (not always though) when it's down to the final wire and there's no other options available and I think the consequences of not doing it will be bad. My stress and adrenaline kick in.

Using taxes as my example again - if we are receiving a refund I have filed them months after I should have because there is no consequence other than the government keeping our money longer than necessary. But if we owe money and don't pay or file on time the consequences are penalties, interest, higher potential for audit, etc. The incentive to get them in on time is there for those years.

Again, I may use the term differently than someone else but that what it means for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to angora For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-08-10)
Old 08-08-10, 03:38 PM

Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like normal focus, under pressure, to me.
Amtram (08-09-10)
Old 08-08-10, 03:56 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 21,633 Times in 9,136 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Hyperfocus has been good and bad to me, sometimes at the same time.

I'm not sure what I'll end up thinking about it or how I relate to it just yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to come to my own conclusions.
Old 08-08-10, 04:06 PM

Thanked 21,866 Times in 7,966 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to call hyperfocus an adaptive ability. It's the opposite of over stimulation.

You are right that it can be a liability, I am not going to go to the extreme of calling it a fault. Too many times the hyperfocus has kicked in and I've been able to accomplish what I absolutely needed to.

I'd like to see you produce the evidence from studies done on hyperfocus. I'd certainly be willing to look at it.

How about it?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (08-08-10), ADHDTigger (08-08-10), Amtram (08-09-10), Dizfriz (08-08-10), Fortune (08-08-10), Komod0Dragon (08-10-10), StarClout (08-08-10)
Old 08-08-10, 04:18 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,213 Times in 8,571 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

When something needs doing and I am the one to do it i find myself able to focus in the problem in an almost obsessive but often effective way.
But its also overfocus in the sense that it excludes just about everything else.
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (08-08-10), ADHDTigger (08-08-10), Dizfriz (08-08-10), ginniebean (08-08-10), Komod0Dragon (08-10-10), meridian (08-08-10)
Old 08-08-10, 04:25 PM

Unfortunately it's pretty poorly researched. I'm not even sure it's going to make it into the DSM-V. It's not seen as symptomatic because it's not universal, and it's not something that can be easily tested because it can't be induced on command.

Off the top of my head, it's triggered by a sudden "burst" of dopamine when a person encounters an enjoyable subject or something like this, which reinforces it heavily (because people with ADHD are usually understimulated). This eventually wears off and the subject becomes just as boring as any other subject. This is old speculative theory though, from way back when I started posting here. I don't know if it has been confirmed in any way.

Do you have any research on hyperfocus? I don't even know of the term as having made it into the clinical literature.
Amtram (08-09-10), ditzydreamer (08-09-10), Dizfriz (08-08-10), meridian (08-08-10)
Old 08-08-10, 04:30 PM

Thanked 10,437 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post

I'd like to see you produce the evidence from studies done on hyperfocus. I'd certainly be willing to look at it.
I would too. I have not been able to find much about it except in relation to autism and I am interested in whether it is a real phenomenon specific to ADHD or is it, as Barkley claims, "perseveration".

Interesting subject.

Dizfriz
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (08-08-10), ADHDTigger (08-08-10), Amtram (08-09-10), ginniebean (08-08-10)
Old 08-08-10, 04:35 PM

It has a somewhat different flavor than perseveration, because it's not just revisiting an issue after it has been resolved, or repeating a behavior or response. I characterize it, as I have said, as a sort of manic obsession with a topic or subject or behavior. It's not quite what others are describing, which is just proper focus, which, while uncommon to ADHD people, is not unique or special. I guess that would be a terminology error.
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (08-08-10), Amtram (08-09-10), Dizfriz (08-08-10)