ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 06-04-12, 12:48 AM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all
science, math, or physics background ?

This question is inspired by a previous thread but I'm curious as to how many folks on here are educated and/or employed in any of these fields. Once I can pull off going back to school I plan on studying physics as it is one of my favorite topics. For those who aren't aware Rick Green from ADD and Loving It has a degree in physics. My inspiration comes from Neil Degrasse Tyson, Richard Feynman, Professor Brian Cox, and Lisa Randall
Old 06-04-12, 02:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: science, math, or physics background ?

I struggled with math growing up, best I can tell, for two reasons:
1. My parents are math stupid.
2. I have a learning disabilities which meant classroom time was a waste of time.
Since I was left to self-teach, I was slow to learn, missed important concepts, and had my confidence hurt.

On the other hand, I have two uncles who majored in math (one a teacher) and an aunt who majored in math and became a teacher. Two of my great uncles are chemists... so it's not like my family doesn't have a "science gene."

I would have had a much easier time going into the arts, but my passion has always been for science despite my struggles.
I dropped out of college my second year when I tried to switch to a physics major; the mistakes was jumping in too deep and too fast. I took some time off and decided to join the Navy's nuclear program because the two years of math/science training (four years of service after that) sounded like fun to me. I struggled (again due to undiagnosed LD) but managed to get through because I have a decent brain once I digest info and there was an insane amount of structure during this school period.

By the time I returned to college, I had/have a lot of anxiety that I've yet to worth through. I was attempting to major in biology and economics/statistics but I've had a miserable time of it due to all the memorization involved. I do much better in physics/chemistry classes where the object is to solve problems using variables and formulas. Assuming that I don't get kicked out of my school after a dismal year attempting to overcome biology (I've seriously given up on that crap, I hate it!!! which is sad because it is the most applicable science to our disorder... I'll continue to study it on my own, but I keep bombing tests due to memory problems despite a strong understanding).

I think that physics and chemistry are more natural to me due to being a spatial learner. I'm a couple of credits short of an ABET certified mech. engineering tech degree. If I can regain my footing with bio, I might pursue a medical physics route. Overall, my greatest passion is for economics, but honestly, that passion can be applied to many fields (in the form of statistical analysis) so I'm trying to keep my options open.

I'll look up the names you mentioned later in the week after my finals.

My advise to you is to start brushing up now. There are some great MIT open courses for physics. For example (with video): http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8...ics-fall-1999/

Khan academy is the best place to brush up on math theory (chemistry too) http://www.khanacademy.org/ and of course, pick up an old used book and work some problems to get your mind engaged again. The "for dummies" workbooks are good if you can't find a decent older edition text book anywhere.
It wouldn't hurt to start asking around to determine what text books and authors people like. I have a really good collection of economics text books that are now out of print but highly regarded by professors (which is why I tracked them down).

Some of the materials from teaching company are helpful too, but pricey when not on sale. I think that once I have more time, I'll start putting together a thread of online resources for the ADHD mind (and others). Anyways, I think experimenting with those open course classes is the best way to make sure that you are ready and to build up some momentum. Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
Vector (06-04-12)
Old 06-04-12, 02:21 AM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

A link to a Walter Lewin video how cool. I will check that out.I'm familiar with Khan Academy
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-12, 12:37 PM
Contributor

Vector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, the Khan Academy rules! The basics cannot be explained any clearer than this. This gifted teacher is really relaxed.
Old 06-04-12, 12:53 PM

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a double major in astrophysics and philosophy, PookDo.

Or as the hubster would call it: "Rastro."

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
known_guy (07-17-12)
Old 06-04-12, 01:06 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Math sucks for me. Physics is interesting minus the math. All I can do is try and keep up.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-04-12, 01:08 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,745 Times in 8,895 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

BScHons Computer Science with minors in Mathematics & Economics

Presently studying towards MSc Computer Science concurrently with undergrad Physics

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (06-04-12), sarahsweets (06-04-12)
Old 06-04-12, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

spc123 has a spectacular aura aboutspc123 has a spectacular aura about

I was always science and math minded (minus biology, couldn't handle the memorization, organic chemistry is the same) so I chose to pursue a degree in the arts. University isn't like trade school. Unless you are pursuing a professional degree or you plan to go into research, you are learning for its own sake. I choose to pursue something I always hated, because I figured it would make me more well rounded. So even as I held a job in IT largely doing statistical analysis (for the purpose of identifying network issues over a fiber/coax plant) I was studying Roman history, international relations and economics. University didn't help one wit with identifying dirty fiber in a SONET, but it gave me a much better understanding of the socioeconomic forces with shape and rule our world.
Old 06-04-12, 02:29 PM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
BScHons Computer Science with minors in Mathematics & Economics

Presently studying towards MSc Computer Science concurrently with undergrad Physics
I think I'm in love!
Old 06-04-12, 02:49 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
I had a double major in astrophysics and philosophy, PookDo.

Or as the hubster would call it: "Rastro."
I would love to study astrophysics. Do you work in the field? If so where? I don't think Minneapolis has a planetarium at the moment. If they did my wife and I would have been there a lot already. I read somewhere that people who have astrophysics degrees if they don't work in that field sometimes go into computer engineering or programming
Old 06-04-12, 02:51 PM
Registered

Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
I think I'm in love!
Sorry bro I'm a straight male.

The Winona Avatar is for the Avatar Contest

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (06-04-12), Sandy4957 (06-04-12)
Old 06-04-12, 02:52 PM
Forum ADDvocate

so if I want to get into physics but start off study math at a community college that's not a bad thing right?
Old 06-04-12, 02:55 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Math sucks for me. Physics is interesting minus the math. All I can do is try and keep up.
It does for me too but I'm working my *** off to understand it and get it to sink in. Hopefully eventually I will have an aha moment where it clicks
Old 06-04-12, 02:56 PM
Registered

Yes Calc 1 - 3, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Mechanics and Riemannian Geometry and Tenssor Calculus if available.

Old 06-04-12, 03:00 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
Yes Calc 1 - 3, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Mechanics and Riemannian Geometry and Tenssor Calculus if available.
I'm guessing that's in response to my question? What no Vector Calculus ? j/k