ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 06-17-12, 12:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,559 Times in 860 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
So sad that I found humor in it.....

In dealing with so much crap dealing with my academic failures over the years, especially the crowning glory of failing out of nursing school last year, I have found that place of amusement at things that are so pathetic and god-awful I guess as a way to not cry over them. Here is the latest:

I graduated in the early 90's with a degree in Education and was substitute teaching at the district where my first-cousin's daughter (my 2nd cousin??) was in 1st grade. I subbed for her class one day and liked to tell that story over the years at family functions that she was really bright and raised her hand a lot and got all of the answers right!! How cool- I was the adult cousin teaching my bright 2nd cousin!!! Fast forward 20+ years......

My dad just told me that this cousin who I knew was in nursing school at the university affiliated with the big medical center in our city, just got a nursing job at the hospital where the diploma nursing school that I failed out of is attached; also part of this big the medical center. I am working as an aide in this same hospital while I try to get into another nursing school (Which I probably won't. That's another story.)

I got tears in my eyes upon hearing it but mostly felt the somewhat sick feeling of ironic humor in this sad scenario.

This isn't really a vent just the way my life is.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (06-18-12), Retromancer (06-17-12), spunkysmum (06-17-12)
Old 06-17-12, 01:47 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So sad that I found humor in it.....

It is the way our lives are. There is nothing like going to interview to find yourself being interviewed by people nearly half your age. No reset button in this life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
This isn't really a vent just the way my life is.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
ana futura (06-17-12), Drewbacca (06-18-12), finallyfound10 (06-18-12)
Old 06-17-12, 02:55 PM

Thanked 6,238 Times in 3,063 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I can pass for someone ten years younger- and I've been seriously thinking about trying to when I graduate and I enter the job market. Not outright lying, but rather just hiding some dates, and never revealing my age. This probably isn't the best idea, but there's really no way we can compete with others our age.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (06-18-12), spunkysmum (06-17-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-12, 03:08 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

You can omit dates on resumes. No so such luck with on-line applications. The programming demands you fill in the fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
I can pass for someone ten years younger- and I've been seriously thinking about trying to when I graduate and I enter the job market. Not outright lying, but rather just hiding some dates, and never revealing my age. This probably isn't the best idea, but there's really no way we can compete with others our age.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (06-18-12)
Old 06-17-12, 03:37 PM

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,492 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There are still people who think I am younger than my sister at first, and she's 7 years younger than I am - the youngest of four while I am the oldest. No complaints here though.

I don't fully understand why younger people are considered better candidates for jobs than older people are. Seems to me that apart from their youth and perceived strength and energy, a lot of younger people have less of a work ethic and sense of committment to one job. If they want reliable workers who show up consistently and, just as important, work hard and dependably when they do show up, always hiring the younger candidate is not going to be a surefire strategy.

Of course, having ADHD can bring about challenges when it comes to showing up every time on time, but even then - I'm never going to be the one who shows up half an hour before my shift every time, and I seem to be more prone to unlucky incidences and co-incidences that keep me from getting places at the appointed time, but when I get there I put everything I have into it and take my responsibilities seriously. The youngest people on staff where I work are the ones who try to pawn off their shifts on other people last minute because they got a chance to go to a drinking party and don't want to have to get up in the morning or who want somebody else to back them up on register so they can start closing theirs down forty-five minutes before their shift is over.
ana futura (06-17-12), finallyfound10 (06-18-12)
Old 06-17-12, 06:00 PM

Thanked 6,238 Times in 3,063 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto. I never understood why it mattered so much if I was 10 minutes late, when I'm always the who takes other people's shifts, I never dump my own, and I stay an hour late to do extra crap.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-12, 01:34 AM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ditto. I never understood why it mattered so much if I was 10 minutes late, when I'm always the who takes other people's shifts, I never dump my own, and I stay an hour late to do extra crap.
Because rules dictate their lives to the point of a fault.
Rules are only good for two things in my opinion, setting a common standard, and preventing people from making history.

If it wasn't for unnecessary rules, I would have finished my degree by now. For some reason, if I try to turn in an assignment a day late it won't be accepted because it's late? Explain to me again what the purpose of college is, that when I put twice as much work in and fall behind a day I get an F for that project but the kid ten years younger than me who wrote a bs paper in an hour without any research or effort gets a passing grade? Our whole ******* society is about deadlines and rules but deadlines and rules don't make the world a better place and they don't fix what's broken.

Work, school, whatever... it takes me longer. I'll never test as well as others my age. BUT, I'll hold my knowledge against any one else because despite my inability to follow their rules, I know my ****.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
ana futura (06-18-12), finallyfound10 (06-18-12)
Old 06-18-12, 02:43 PM

Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,331 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

congrats on successfully attaining a degree. At 34, ive yet to complete my associates...though im only 4 classess from getting it...
The Following User Says Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post: