ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 06-12-12, 03:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,878 Times in 13,794 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Work Fuzzy Work!!!

It's past 8pm and I've got a hard deadline tomorrow that I can't miss. I've got a ton of work to do at home as well, which again has to be done tonight. Another sleepless night and I'm so tired already.

I am working. I'm writing/reading at the rate of one sentence an hour.

Why do I do this??? Maybe it's because I might have ADHD but still why??£$%£!!! Will I never learn??? I still can't comprehend how my brain can't be under my control. I feel as if my head is just empty. I have the correct thoughts but they just pass through my brain without having any impact whatsoever. It's as if there is a rogue part of my brain that is watching the other motivated parts getting more and more stressed, tired and frustrated and the rogue brain part is just laughing its head off and refusing to do anything at all because it knows that no one can force it to do anything.

And still I'm here on ADDF sprouting my rubbish instead of working.

I really am a complete idiot.

Bad fuzzy. Bad, bad, bad fuzzy
Old 06-12-12, 03:51 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,945 Times in 14,763 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Work Fuzzy Work!!!

hey fuzzy.. no help on my end but put on the coffee or tea kettle now!

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-12-12, 04:52 PM

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,492 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Do you typically tend to get things completed - or at least as close to it as you can - in a last-minute frenzy after putting them off as long as possible? What is the usual outcome when this happens to you.
Old 06-12-12, 05:21 PM
Registered

Thanked 17,744 Times in 8,895 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

I know sweets

I'm still in the research and coding phase of my own dissertation so its okay.

But I DREAD the write up phase.

A friend suggested that I use a dictaphone (a modern cellphone or smartphone wil work too, they have enough memory) to dictate my written content.

Then play it back, transcribe and edit.

Or if you have the resources PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT!!!

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 06-12-12, 05:48 PM

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's past 8pm and I've got a hard deadline tomorrow that I can't miss. I've got a ton of work to do at home as well, which again has to be done tonight. Another sleepless night and I'm so tired already.

I am working. I'm writing/reading at the rate of one sentence an hour.

Why do I do this??? Maybe it's because I might have ADHD but still why??£$%£!!! Will I never learn??? I still can't comprehend how my brain can't be under my control. I feel as if my head is just empty. I have the correct thoughts but they just pass through my brain without having any impact whatsoever. It's as if there is a rogue part of my brain that is watching the other motivated parts getting more and more stressed, tired and frustrated and the rogue brain part is just laughing its head off and refusing to do anything at all because it knows that no one can force it to do anything.

And still I'm here on ADDF sprouting my rubbish instead of working.

I really am a complete idiot.

Bad fuzzy. Bad, bad, bad fuzzy
WOW.

Fuzzy, you are the POSTER CHILD for The Now Habit, by Dr. Neil Fiore. Buy it on tape and listen to it.

Seriously, I'm EXACTLY the same as you and bit by bit, his methods are changing my life.

You can also check out "Awaken Your Strongest Self" by the same guy. But start with The Now Habit.

I promise, cross my heart, hope to die, that you won't regret doing that.

And in the meantime, you will get this done (or get extensions) just like you always do so BREATHE. The important thing isn't what you coulda shoulda woulda 10 days ago or 2 months ago or 5 minutes ago. The important thing is WHAT DO YOU KNOW RIGHT NOW? WHAT CAN YOU DO RIGHT NOW?

So take a breath. Take another. Close your eyes and take one more.

Ok, now. Write a little list of what you must get done tonight or tomorrow. Anything that can be pushed off to some other time does not go on that list.

Take another breath.

Pick one item on the list, and begin. Give yourself 15 minutes. Tell yourself that if you're not making progress with it, you will stop in 15 minutes.

I guarantee that you will be making progress with it and will likely end up spending an hour on it. Then pick off the next task.

It will be ok.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-15-12), spunkysmum (06-12-12)
Old 06-12-12, 08:18 PM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
WOW.

Fuzzy, you are the POSTER CHILD for The Now Habit, by Dr. Neil Fiore. Buy it on tape and listen to it.
I second that. It's a great book. Mixed results for me so far due to overwhelming anxiety. My current problem isn't last minute work... I'm just not getting work done at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-12-12)
Old 06-12-12, 08:41 PM

spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
I second that. It's a great book. Mixed results for me so far due to overwhelming anxiety. My current problem isn't last minute work... I'm just not getting work done at all.
I'll have to check that out. When I get around to it. LOL.
Old 06-13-12, 01:11 AM

Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysmum View Post
I'll have to check that out. When I get around to it. LOL.
At least check out the reviews so that you don't forget about it!

http://www.dextronet.com/blog/2011/0...habit-summary/

http://lifehacker.com/5658620/the-no...uilt+free-play
Old 06-13-12, 01:21 AM

Quote:
How did you know I was going to forget it? LOL
Old 06-13-12, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysmum View Post
How did you know I was going to forget it? LOL
Call it a hunch.
Old 06-14-12, 04:19 PM

Thanked 6,238 Times in 3,063 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My current problem isn't last minute work... I'm just not getting work done at all.
Me too. Before my diagnosis I would put everything off until the last minute, now I don't even bother. I think my diagnosis caused some sort perspective shift in me, one that I'm not fully conscious of.

Whatever's going on, my work issues are worse now than they've ever been. Medication actually seemed to be making my procrastination worse, because I would become so self aware on the meds that I started over thinking everything and wondering if I should be in school at all. Now I'm trying to see how I do off meds. The heightened self awareness is gone, my old anxiety is back, my house is getting messier, and nothing is changing on the procrastination front.
Old 06-14-12, 04:30 PM

Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Drew and Ana,

He specifically addresses the anxiety issues in Awaken Your Strongest Self.

I actually paid to consult with him, and he has helped me fix my issue with writing at the last minute. I don't have it perfectly down, but I've made major progress on it.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
ana futura (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 04:35 PM

ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm just not sure if I agree with this-

Quote:
We don’t procrastinate because we are lazy. You certainly have motivation and energy for various activities that you do daily. Procrastination is not a character defect.
We procrastinate to defend our self-worth when we feel a threat to our sense of worth and independence. We procrastinate to temporarily relieve deep inner fears.
I really do think I procrastinate because I'm lazy- I simply don't like working. I really hate doing any kind of hard work, it's boring and I can think of a million other things I'd rather be doing.

I think my problem is that I never really grasped the idea that if I don't apply myself in the present I'll actually be less happy in the long run, because I'll always be stuck in dead end jobs that make me miserable. Same goes for having a clean house. I LOVE it when my house is clean, but I hate doing the work to make it clean.

I'm so focused instant gratification that I neglect to see how my future happiness is compromised by my current actions.
Old 06-14-12, 04:39 PM

P.S. Ana, here's what I think is happening.

You've realized that this is a lifelong issue, and that you're not going to "fix it" by "trying harder." On the one hand, it was a relief to realize that you're not lazy, crazy, or stupid, as you previously believed. But on the other, now you don't know HOW to do it.

And when you add anxiety (or, in my case, PTSD) into the mix, it becomes a complicated soup. How do you motivate without returning to your basket-case self, who got things done at the last minute through herculean effort, and only because you were so embarrassed that you couldn't imagine any other way of making peace with yourself.

The answer is to first figure out how to stop depriving yourself, because (if you're like me, you've become so accustomed to it that you don't even know what you'd WANT to do if you had the freedom to do whatever you wanted to), and then to figure out how to reduce the anxiety over the past "failures."

And if you're like me, your "failures" are not "failures" that anyone else would see. They're all in your head. So figuring out how to allow yourself to let go of them is finding freedom for the first time.

It's a lot of work. A ton of work, and it requires outstanding professional help. I've been fortunate in that I've had the resources to hunt that down. But it's expensive and time-consuming, and frustrating, and requires a lot of your own time and attention, which is annoying. I just keep coming back to it because my situation feels so intolerable when I'm in it.

I hope that that makes sense.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
ana futura (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
Drew and Ana,

He specifically addresses the anxiety issues in Awaken Your Strongest Self.

I actually paid to consult with him, and he has helped me fix my issue with writing at the last minute. I don't have it perfectly down, but I've made major progress on it.
I actually think that I'm incapable of working if I'm not anxious. I think it's one of the reasons my school output plummeted when I started dexedrine- I was suddenly very relaxed for the first time in my life.

I'm reliant on my anxiety, but it's also so hard to control. Sometimes it does my work for me, other times it shuts me down. But without, I seem to have zero output at all.