ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 03-19-10, 01:50 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Tiako44 is on a distinguished road
So here I am again..1 math class is preventing me from finishing my AA

I have taken this math class far too many times to fail it again over attendance. Honestly I thought I had one day left but it looks like I was wrong. If the professor does not overlook the attendance issue for me then I am completely screwed. I will be spending six more months in school to take two math classes. It is just far too much wasted time for two classes. It puts my entire education on a huge stall. This in turn does not make my family happy and they just push me to go do ac repair or something.

I have all the papers from the doctor that shows I have dyscalcula and I honestly think I could pass my required math classes for my major. History/PHI that only requires Liberal Arts math or Logic. Can't they just remove the flag from my account stating that I must take this cursed prep class?
Old 03-22-10, 09:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

losethefire will become famous soon enough
Re: So here I am again..1 math class is preventing me from finishing my AA

Have you talked to the disabilities office at your school yet? They can help you to figure out what your options are, and can be extremely useful to help make sure you go through the right channels. I would try to have them behind you if you're going to challenge a degree requirement!
Old 03-22-10, 12:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Henri J has a spectacular aura aboutHenri J has a spectacular aura about

Why should the professor over look the attendance policy for you? You are a student and your job is to go to class, do your homework and take the tests. If you need assistance with your homework or test taking by all means seek out that assistance with the disability access services at your school. But, don't expect any professor or administrator to "over look" some aspect of the course or curriculum because you don't lie it or it doesn't work for you. It doesn't work that way.

I had to take Calculus 4 times to finally get a "passing" D in it so I could get my degree. But, I did it. I went to class and I did the work and that's the deal.

Honestly speaking, you are the only thing holding you back from your degree.

H
Old 03-23-10, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri J View Post
Why should the professor over look the attendance policy for you? You are a student and your job is to go to class, do your homework and take the tests. If you need assistance with your homework or test taking by all means seek out that assistance with the disability access services at your school. But, don't expect any professor or administrator to "over look" some aspect of the course or curriculum because you don't lie it or it doesn't work for you. It doesn't work that way.

I had to take Calculus 4 times to finally get a "passing" D in it so I could get my degree. But, I did it. I went to class and I did the work and that's the deal.

Honestly speaking, you are the only thing holding you back from your degree.

H
I have taken the class 3 times before and failed those other times not because I missed classes. I missed 0 classes. I failed because I got C's on all my tests then got D's on the last tests. Bringing me down to a low D.

D is not considered passing. If I get a D it doesn't count and I have to retake the class. Another thing is you can't take a math class 4 times. Once you take it 3 times the college tells you that you are no longer able to attend math at their college. I had to leave my other college to keep taking math.

So don't tell me that I haven't taken advantage of all the math help out there.
Old 03-23-10, 12:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

I'm not saying you haven't taken advantage of the math help. I'm saying there must be something more you can do.

What about taking the class at a community college?

What about tutoring? I was very resistant to this idea, but in the end it helped tremendously.

Do you get accommodations from the DAS office? Should you?

I'm not trying to discourage you. I understand completely what you are going through, I really do. It is incredibly frustrating to put so much effort into a class and still not get a passing grade. It also took me longer to finish because of calculus and physics. And now, in order to get into grad school I have to re-do them because even though a D was enough to get me a BS those D's will not get me into grad school. I'm headed for community college so I can learn something and get a better grade.

Don't give up. Find a better solution. Need to shovel $h1t? Build a better shovel.

H
Old 03-23-10, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri J View Post
I'm not saying you haven't taken advantage of the math help. I'm saying there must be something more you can do.

What about taking the class at a community college?

What about tutoring? I was very resistant to this idea, but in the end it helped tremendously.

Do you get accommodations from the DAS office? Should you?

I'm not trying to discourage you. I understand completely what you are going through, I really do. It is incredibly frustrating to put so much effort into a class and still not get a passing grade. It also took me longer to finish because of calculus and physics. And now, in order to get into grad school I have to re-do them because even though a D was enough to get me a BS those D's will not get me into grad school. I'm headed for community college so I can learn something and get a better grade.

Don't give up. Find a better solution. Need to shovel $h1t? Build a better shovel.

H
Das.. Sure did...Yeah the last time I took it I had private tutors with the school twice a week. Took two tests, got a passing grade but what sucks about math there is almost no forgiveness for messing up. You fail one test and your chance of passing the class is almost nothing now.

The reason I missed any days in this class was because I saw the same trend as last time. Hardly passing the tests, really I was failing them because I was getting 60's but getting extra credit to bring my grade up. Seeing this trend of me learning zero the class I started skipping. It just got to me that I was driving 60 miles a day to learn almost nothing. Not saying the teacher is bad but I just can't understand math with examples.
Old 03-23-10, 01:17 PM

The class makes me feel like crap. No other class has ever made me depressed like this. I just can't stand it.
Old 03-23-10, 05:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

I know how you feel. You know you're not stupid. You know you know the material and yet... still can't seem to pass the stupid class.
What about extended time on the tests or a quiet testing place? Do you have those things available to you? What about community college?

I think the only reason I passed any of those classes was because I took them at a large university where curving grades are the norm. Those curves were the only thing holding me above water.

H