ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips > ADD Publications, Audio & Video Tapes
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Publications, Audio & Video Tapes Discuss your favorite AD/HD related books & tapes.

Old 10-10-16, 06:58 PM

sampeckinpah is on a distinguished road
Has anyone read "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?"?

A little off topic but has anyone read the book "You mean I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy?" my psychologist recommended it to me and was wondering if it was any good?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sampeckinpah For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (03-30-17), Letching Gray (04-11-17), niyany (04-12-17)
Old 10-10-16, 09:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,537 Times in 10,876 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Has anyone read "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?"?

It's been several years since I read it (at least a decade) so some of it may be outdated, but I know it really resonated with me.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
sampeckinpah (10-11-16)
Old 10-11-16, 01:22 PM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

It's a good book to start your quest for information with. It is the book that got me to ask my docs about the possibility that I had adhd.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Bill For This Useful Post:
Meadd (03-30-17), sampeckinpah (10-11-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-16, 02:36 PM

Thanked 8,346 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

it's been at least 15 years since I read it, but as I recall, it has quite a lot of good information .....and if it's been updated be sure and get that version

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
Meadd (03-30-17), sampeckinpah (10-11-16)
Old 03-30-17, 04:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

Meadd is a jewel in the roughMeadd is a jewel in the roughMeadd is a jewel in the rough

Ha!
Just asked similar question at different thread. I am almost thru with the book... Interesting to read about me all over the freagging book, I'm not sure that im finding big solutions, only explanations to the ADD issues and a bit of asdvice/guidance... When I finish it, I am going to explore "Driven to distraction" see how it turns out. Thanks for the post.
Old 03-30-17, 04:14 PM

Thanked 27,149 Times in 12,612 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadd View Post
Ha!
Just asked similar question at different thread. I am almost thru with the book... Interesting to read about me all over the freagging book, I'm not sure that im finding big solutions, only explanations to the ADD issues and a bit of asdvice/guidance... When I finish it, I am going to explore "Driven to distraction" see how it turns out. Thanks for the post.
Delivered from distraction is a later version so if you haven't bought it yet I'd get that.

That's my favourite book on adhd. I haven't managed to read anything else since then but that's probably because delivered to distraction was the first book I read.

I started you mean I'm not lazy crazy etc but I found it a bit messy and unstructured.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Meadd (03-31-17)
Old 03-30-17, 05:40 PM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

OMG YES. This was the book I read right after I got my diagnosis and I have to admit I cried during the first half of it or so because it felt like the whole thing was describing *me*.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-30-17), Meadd (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 01:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

Meadd is a jewel in the roughMeadd is a jewel in the roughMeadd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Delivered from distraction is a later version so if you haven't bought it yet I'd get that.

That's my favourite book on adhd. I haven't managed to read anything else since then but that's probably because delivered to distraction was the first book I read.

I started you mean I'm not lazy crazy etc but I found it a bit messy and unstructured.
I am glad you posted this, I found a lot of ideas that I perhaps I knew already about, ie mnemonic techniques, calendars, color coded file systems and such, however, like you said, haphazard solutions to the well writen descriptions of the problems we face... OK so I knew I was not Crazy, lazy or stupid, and thank you for the stories, and the research...

I was hoping for more on hands juicy boot camp training. ( I am not trying to criticize with impunity, but after reading my own post, I think I am)
Old 03-31-17, 01:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
OMG YES. This was the book I read right after I got my diagnosis and I have to admit I cried during the first half of it or so because it felt like the whole thing was describing *me*.
I too saw myself all over the book Johnny...
Old 03-31-17, 05:59 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,699 Times in 12,970 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny, right after I joined here I downloaded it to my kindle. Havent read it yet.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 04-11-17, 11:53 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

A long time ago. It was good.
Old 04-12-17, 03:57 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,339 Times in 738 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

I haven't but I want to read all of the "ADHD Classics."

I have plans to when I am done with my BSN program in August as right now it's all reading for school.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.