ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-17, 09:49 AM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Felt an itch, Eww, a tick!

There are times our hypersensitivity may pose an evolutionary advantage!

I felt this itch on my skin and looked and saw what I thought was a small scab. Then I looked closer! There are lots of ticks in the yard where I live and it's been a mild winter.

I'd rather not relive the gross details of ridding myself of my uninvited guest (((shudder))) and I won't inflict them on anyone else. I pray I got it out in time and no horrible side effects, such as one reads about online, happen.

But I think - I bet there are many people who would ignore that tiny itch - and since I can't, I hopefully was able to prevent a small problem from becoming a bigger one.
Fuzzy12 (04-16-17)
Old 04-16-17, 10:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,655 Times in 8,948 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Felt an itch, Eww, a tick!

Ticks already??!!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 04-16-17, 02:47 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 16,955 Times in 9,646 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

*shudders* I have never seen a tick in real life despite having cats and don't want to see one
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
All paranoia can go fart in the litter tray.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-17, 05:11 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,578 Times in 8,798 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are clearly much less sensitive to them than others, a fact that has been documented since at least 1965, when the Beatles sang "She's got a tick in her eye, and she don't care". However, it's probably not that common - from the context of the rest of the lyrics, the songwriters were clearly surprised by the facts of the case.

Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 04-16-17, 05:56 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,008 Times in 8,202 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhLookABunny View Post
There are times our hypersensitivity may pose an evolutionary advantage!

I felt this itch on my skin and looked and saw what I thought was a small scab. Then I looked closer! There are lots of ticks in the yard where I live and it's been a mild winter.

I'd rather not relive the gross details of ridding myself of my uninvited guest (((shudder))) and I won't inflict them on anyone else. I pray I got it out in time and no horrible side effects, such as one reads about online, happen.

But I think - I bet there are many people who would ignore that tiny itch - and since I can't, I hopefully was able to prevent a small problem from becoming a bigger one.
Maybe...or maybe not.

I tend to be very sensitive to skin-crawly things and itches, but I didn't notice until after the tick had detached and I'd already contracted Lyme disease.

I did very quickly notice the rash, though at that point I was already alert to the possibility, and was able to get it treated right away.

Someone who was more diligent about checking for ticks (i.e., not me) might have noticed sooner and avoided Lyme altogether.

FYI, if you save the tick, you can get it tested. (Or at least, identify the type of tick and any diseases it could potentially carry. Here's the CDC guide to ticks and tick-borne diseases in the U.S.) If you do happen to develop any symptoms of illness -- which hopefully, you won't, because hopefully it didn't carry anything nasty, and you got it off quickly -- be sure to get it checked out right away, and mention that you were recently bitten by a tick.

P.S. Tick was on my back, around the waistband, not in my eye.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-16-17)
Old 04-18-17, 12:18 PM
Contributor

OhLookABunny has a spectacular aura aboutOhLookABunny has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Some people are clearly much less sensitive to them than others, a fact that has been documented since at least 1965, when the Beatles sang "She's got a tick in her eye, and she don't care". However, it's probably not that common - from the context of the rest of the lyrics, the songwriters were clearly surprised by the facts of the case.

Ah, a Mondegreen! "Ticket to Ride" = "Tic in Her Eye" I think that is tic without a 'k," the kind that means an involuntary twitch.

Yes, we have had a mild winter and an erratic spring. Kansas is like that. Also we have bermuda grass in some parts of the yard, which they seem to love. All of the grass got mowed last night. The dog got a dose of tick meds. I discovered one of the rabbits whom we'd treated for fleas a month or less ago has a whole new crop, so flea medicine is on order for all the rabbits and the cats as well.

Looks like my tick bite is less swollen. I think I got the little bugger off before it could inject the really bad disease or neurotoxin or whatever it had evil plans to shoot into me. Reading those CDC and other sites about ticks can give you nightmares!
namazu (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 07:11 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,578 Times in 8,798 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhLookABunny View Post
Ah, a Mondegreen! "Ticket to Ride" = "Tic in Her Eye" I think that is tic without a 'k," the kind that means an involuntary twitch.
I think that's not the best explanation. Eyeball tics are not a thing, to my knowledge anyway, and they didn't sing "near her eye" or "in her eyelid". Nor did they sing "She's got nystagmus...", which would be pretty hard to rhyme.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.