ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-17, 03:07 PM
Jr Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Modafinil for Autism

I am trying to discern if it would be safe for me to administer either 100mg or 200mg of modafinil every other morning.

I have a formal diagnosis of autism (it's not Asperger's as I had a speech delay and my IQ is rather low), and suspect I have inattentive ADD and CAPD, too.

I am willing to try anything to improve my ability to communicate, concentrate and significantly reduce how much I procrastinate.

My high levels of distractibility and inability to understand others have completely ruined my life. Thus, at the age of almost 27 I believe I must try harder to mitigate the symptoms of my condition. If I do not, I fear I will forever be a 'man child' who is living in a world of his own. Whilst I have been derided for my language impairment, I cannot be a burden on my mother her entire life.

At this juncture, I have eliminated gluten, yeast and added an abundance of minerals and vitamins to my diet. But I am still tremendously forgetful, 'spacy' and a trifle perplexed by what is unfolding around me.

I apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong forum.
Old 04-19-17, 03:10 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,434 Times in 8,480 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Modafinil for Autism

How did your doctor prescribe the medication to be taken?

Do you have any other medical conditions, or are you taking any other medications that might make modafinil unsafe?

Consult with your physician or a chemist/pharmacist for good advice on this.
Old 04-19-17, 03:37 PM
Jr Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

My doctor stated that it would be safe for me to take both adrifinil and paroxetine, which I take for anxiety and depression. But I am yet to ask whether it would be safe to take modafinil, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-19-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-17, 03:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,637 Times in 12,408 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the best course of action would be to get assessed for adhd so that you can get proper adhd specific treatment.

I used to take modafinil and found it quite helpful in controlling adhd symptoms however it gave me bad anxiety (at least initially. Maybe the anxiety would have subsided had I taken it for longer).

Hope you find something that helps soon!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-19-17)
Old 04-19-17, 07:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

Some anecdotes, personal experience, and the teeny-weeny amount of research that's been done on it suggests that stimulants for ADHD are potentially useful for ASD symptoms, even the ones that aren't (officially) ADHD symptoms also. Modafinil is likewise promising; the reason FDA hasn't approved it for ADHD is apparently because of side effects, not effectiveness.

Definitely worth asking the doctor. If he balks at prescribing Modafinil, you might have better luck with the ones approved for ADHD, like amphetamine.
Old 04-26-17, 11:29 AM

SparkyMarky is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Modafinil for Autism

Hi im new to this forum but not to the experience you just mentioned. I've suffered very similar problems my entire life: low energy, foggy brain, obssesive behaviour, limited social ability doing bad at schoolthe list goes on. I have been very isolated, depressed and unproductive for many years as a result. Got diagnosed with aspergers at 24 (im 33 now) but i also suspect overlapping inattentive add. After over ten years being prescribed different antidepressants (none of which have ever worked) suffering alcohop addiction getting good blood test results and seeing various psychologists and puzzled GPs, i was at my wits end and decided to do medical research linked to my symptoms and on stimulants. I myself decided to try Modafinil, and currently take 100mg three alternating days a week and find the effects beneficial. My energy levels are up, and my mood has lifted and feel generally more positive. Its early days and my confusion etc is sometimes still there, but im hoping as i do more over time it will clear up. My advice is definately try Modafinil.

Last edited by Fortune; 04-27-17 at 01:34 PM..