ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-17, 01:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,342 Times in 9,303 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sex and love addiction part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermus View Post
Well, my experience is that my mother wasn't available to me when I was feeling upset, dismissing my feelings. There was little room to express how I felt. So I don't know if I'm right, but that's the way I have come to believe the world works.
You are working on your Masters and you're viewpoint is that narrow as to how the world works?

My mum told me, "If you think you're going to tell that psychiatrist that your father or I am to blame, you have another thing coming!" And the she gave me the scary face and added, "And I mean it!"

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 04-22-17, 08:38 AM
Mindful moderator

Thanked 5,082 Times in 2,202 Posts
Hermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
You are working on your Masters and you're viewpoint is that narrow as to how the world works?

My mum told me, "If you think you're going to tell that psychiatrist that your father or I am to blame, you have another thing coming!" And the she gave me the scary face and added, "And I mean it!"
A big part of how we view the world comes from the way we were raised. I don't think you or me are different from anybody else in that respect.
Old 04-22-17, 08:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,342 Times in 9,303 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A big part of how we view the world comes from the way we were raised. I don't think you or me are different from anybody else in that respect.

I had hoped you could see The Bigger Picture by now. Perhaps in time you shall.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-22-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-17, 08:46 AM
Mindful moderator

Hermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant future

At the NA meeting this morning I shared some things about my struggles with not being able to date, drink etc. After the meeting a fellow came to me who also had a SLA and four years of sobriety under his belt. My therapist couldn't really give an answer on how I would know I was ready to date (something that in my point of view might be expected of a therapist working with addiction). So I asked the fellow.

The fellow explained that to him it was about trial-and-error. Just trying and being aware of what you are feeling and how the addiction responds to it. Making adjustments on the way when noticing that the addiction is triggered. To me it all sounds very logical and it sounds like I can take an active role in my own process. At first because of what my therapist said I thought that it was about abstinence until noticing some sign or some change or something. That thought was killing, because it would give me no power over my own recovery whatsoever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (04-24-17)
Old 04-22-17, 08:47 AM
Mindful moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I had hoped you could see The Bigger Picture by now. Perhaps in time you shall.
I can't unlearn in six months the things I've learned in 32 years.

A thing that was nice though was that I really was emotional during the meeting and in tears because I was in so much pain. Instead of reacting like I was a wimp for showing my feelings, a female fellow just hugged me and comforted me. She told me that I was doing great by talking and showing my feelings. It's nice to experience that at least for some women it is okay if a man shows vulnerability and emotions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-22-17), Little Missy (04-22-17), namazu (04-22-17)
Old 04-22-17, 09:42 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,927 Times in 9,005 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I would venture to guess that a large majority of women are definitively turned OFF when a potential mate consistently denies his own emotions. For one thing, it may mean he will also deny hers.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-22-17), Hermus (04-22-17), Letching Gray (04-24-17), Little Missy (04-24-17), midnightstar (04-24-17), namazu (04-22-17)
Old 04-22-17, 05:36 PM
Mindful moderator

Had a good talk with two friends about dating and sex tonight. I always had all kinds of believe about what real men should want. A real man should try to have sex with someone new as soon as possible etc. When having more serious conversations about these issues I start to find out actually what I think men should want is unfounded. All three of us have had sex on first or second date, but the three of us all thought that this wasn't all that wonderful and that it felt much better to first establish an emotional connection. Not really corresponding to the 'men want sex and women want love' stereotype. I think changing my beliefs will be a very positive step in the direction of recovery and will take away a lot of pressure on dating and sex.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-22-17), Letching Gray (04-24-17), namazu (04-22-17)
Old 04-22-17, 05:51 PM
Mindful moderator

Also talked about emotions, crying etc. Something I never really talked to them before. Maybe we are all at a stage in our lives where we grow from boys to men.
aeon (04-22-17)
Old 04-22-17, 05:53 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,927 Times in 9,005 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also talked about emotions, crying etc. Something I never really talked to them before. Maybe we are all at a stage in our lives where we grow from boys to men.
Yes, or so we hope. For me, it happened many times and continues to happen.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-22-17), Hermus (04-22-17)
Old 04-24-17, 11:02 AM
Mindful moderator

Still feeling very tired after the last week. It has been a struggle and I believe that I haven't been closer to relapse than I was Friday night. But I stayed sober and I know that it will all be worth it in the end.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-24-17), Letching Gray (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 02:25 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Quote:
Still feeling very tired after the last week. It has been a struggle and I believe that I haven't been closer to relapse than I was Friday night. But I stayed sober and I know that it will all be worth it in the end.
You ain't kiddin, bro. Glad you remained sober. You have come so far. At the same time, each of us in recovery is only a choice away from returning to what we were. I have heard so many times that if we go back, we start up again where we'd be if we had never gotten clean. Hard to imagine how disgusting I'd be.

Glad you are home, safe, sane and sober.
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Hermus (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 03:32 PM
Mindful moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
You ain't kiddin, bro. Glad you remained sober. You have come so far. At the same time, each of us in recovery is only a choice away from returning to what we were. I have heard so many times that if we go back, we start up again where we'd be if we had never gotten clean. Hard to imagine how disgusting I'd be.

Glad you are home, safe, sane and sober.
What I have read about it is that when we relapse and pick up again, we still have all the things we learned in our recovery. So not back to where we'd be if we had never gotten clean, but I also heard from fellows that picking up after relapse is particularly hard. And it causes a standstill in our recovery. So yes, I'm happy I've stayed sober. It would have been way harder for me right now if I would have relapsed.
Fuzzy12 (04-24-17), Letching Gray (04-24-17)
Old 04-25-17, 12:35 AM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Quote:
What I have read about it is that when we relapse and pick up again, we still have all the things we learned in our recovery. So not back to where we'd be if we had never gotten clean, but I also heard from fellows that picking up after relapse is particularly hard. And it causes a standstill in our recovery. So yes, I'm happy I've stayed sober. It would have been way harder for me right now if I would have relapsed.
Head full of AA and a belly full of beer. They don't mix.
Old 04-25-17, 01:42 AM
Mindful moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
Head full of AA and a belly full of beer. They don't mix.
Or as they say in NA: A head full of NA and a body full of drugs.
Letching Gray (04-25-17)
Old 04-26-17, 03:00 AM
Mindful moderator

Interesting the way my withdrawal changes my outlook on women and interaction with them. There is an advise in SLAA about when you encounter a beautiful woman. Look, appreciate and then look away. That's what I did yesterday at the concert. I must say that I could enjoy the look of some beautiful women there, without immediately starting to fantasize about walking up to them etc. Something I would normally fantasize about, but rarely really do.

Also just a look and a smile, it didn't mean anything to me in the past because my mind immediately wanted more out of it. Now when such a thing happens I can appreciate it for what it is, without further expectations.

I think those are changes in the way my mind functions that makes me enjoy women more and shows that recovery starts to change things for the better.
Greyhound1 (04-26-17), Letching Gray (04-26-17)