ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Anxiety/Benzodiazepines/Beta Blockers
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-04, 08:57 AM

MindResearcher will become famous soon enough
Medication and Social Anxiety

Hello , im posting about this thread, i just noticed this board and felt that i should be posting moresoe on here. I also suffer from social anxiety, but also it can be a part of ADD. For the Longest Time i thought it was depression, and i kept taking SSRI's or 5HTP thinking its a seratonin problem. But no meds ever helped. Remeron was the only med that worked, but only for sleep and next day anxiety, and Klonopin or xanax helped for anxiety, but neither gave me any type of social interaction or drive, initiative, calm energy, not like the energy or stimulation from ephedra where your shaking.
So i would use drugs. THen either use drugs, or alcohol, or i would not get out of bed. Or do anything. After 5 yrs of this, boy its a hard habbit to break. So i figured out maybe i have some other issue, and i read a post buy a person on another board who quit drinking, and said he took Dexedrine , Klonopin and some zoloft, and he was a different person, like a social butterfly.
He also sounded pretty knowledgeable about ADD and medication. So i went ahead, and made an appt to my P doc, (former) and ran it buy him. First thing he said is OH no, first of all you have to get a special test at such and such a place. OK, well then, he said, and im not perscribing you any stimulants or benzos because you have a past with alcohol or opiates. OK, so he went down the list and gave me Zoloft and remeron. SO im thinking, about a week, ill feel alot better. Well a week later i did feel alot better, taking vicodin and beer.!!! Well all that money spend on a pdoc who never gave me correct advise or meds. And i tried most SSRI"s, Desipramine, EFFEXOR (horrible), and even gabatril, ect. NOthing.

So basicallly, I ended up going out of town to try a new drug called SUBOXONE, for opiate addiction, which did help alot, for withdrawl and some cravings, but no high, even though some people do get high from it, but, this is a newer type of opiate maintenance drug, instead of methadone, you dont need to go to a clinic and its only a partial opiate , and a blocker.
So, this doc, i brought up to his attention, and gave me that add test. WEll, yes, i was perscribed adderall. So my point is I take 4 medications, Lexapro, Klonopin, Adderall, and suboxone. Now due to the fact im clean for a few months, i only use Klonopin if im anxious, or a small dose a day, and im down to 8mg of suboxone daily, from 24mg. Lexapro, well , its sorta hard stopping SSRI's because of that ELECTRIC shock feeling you get, so i stayed on it, but i know lexapro isnt doing much but maybe keeping my mood from slumping into the dark. So if i picked apart my meds, i would have to say adderall is def. the best med im taking for motivational, creativity, add, and even depression.

But now that iv bneen saying that tolerance builds up so fast, i know i cant take it and feel it all the time, but ill do my best to get the most benifit out of it, by proper diet, supplements, or even maybe having my adoc add some welbutrin. THough, i may become anxious, so ill have to take a bit more klonopin. But with medication, its like trial and errror.

As for supplements, i do believe taking them along with meds can help, esp amino acids precusors, so you naturally resore you Neurotransmitters from the constant release of catacolamines. Taking about 5 days off every month , keeping you uirne alkaline, diet, working out, and taking supplements that increase dopamine levels, would be the most you can do , without adding more drugs. Now my process is to wean off these drugs, adderall being the least i would try to stop, because it works so well.

I dont see how straterra would work, because its basically norepinephrine med. So, i dont see much progress from that, and welbutrin doesnt have much dopamine reuptake as they claim. Just look in the Psychotopic handbooks. ONe book compares all the meds and zoloft had almost the same reuptake of dopamine as welbutrin. ALthough welbutrin had more nE reuptake.

Just wanted to post this. BUT back to social anxiety. I dont believ ethere is a drug like perscription, besides oxys or something, thats makes you social like 6 beers or methamphetamine, but i sure dont want to feel like im not myself, and shut eveveryone out , and just sit in my room alone.

As i research more info ill post it. I hope the information can benifit some.

thanks
Old 09-23-04, 09:34 AM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
[size=1]Mind, I have a question about the quoted portions of your post. [quote=[/size]MindResearcher]... its sorta hard stopping SSRI's because of that ELECTRIC shock feeling you get, so i stayed on it, ....
Can you give more detail about the electric shock feeling, is this a withdrawl feeling or are you describing the feeling the meds give you?

[size=1][quote=[/size]MindResearcher]... As for supplements, i do believe taking them along with meds can help, esp amino acids precusors, ...and taking supplements that increase dopamine levels, would be the most you can do ...

Mind, which supplements increase dopamine? Is it the fish oil ?
And do you know off-hand if the brain chemical issue with bi-polars is dopamine or seratonin, first I thought it was a lack of dopamine, now I'm hearing Zoloft reutilizes (reuptakes?) the seratonin.
[size=1][quote=[/size]MindResearcher]... ... ONe book compares all the meds and zoloft had almost the same reuptake of dopamine as welbutrin. ALthough welbutrin had more nE reuptake.

As i research more info ill post it. I hope the information can benifit some. /QUOTE]

Thanks MindResearcher I'm trying to learn more specifically in regards to ADD, tourettes in children and bi-polar. There's so much to learn.

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Old 09-23-04, 10:08 AM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
I can relate somewhat to your post. I think I have a combination of social anxiety/ADD. I had severe social anxiety in high school, so much so that I really didn't have a large circle of friends, but once I got to college I started on the alcohol binge to compensate. It didn't help that I got to know all the bartenders at the local bar and started drinking there regularly when I was 18. Did the whole alcohol thing until I was about 21 and drank way too much one night and went into a coma and almost died. That pretty much nixed Alcohol for me, but along the way I had started smoking pot. A habit that still lingers. I said to myself I wouldn't do anything else, then my ex-girlfriend got me started on Cocaine. That really helped my social anxiety but the comedowns were really really bad. Luckily I've pretty much stopped that. Then I started taking pills recreationally, Xanax, Klonopin, whatever I could really get my hands on. How I graduated college is beyond me since my ADD is really bad and I never really did a bit of work in school. So after years of self medicating for my social anxiety issues I finally went to the doctor about 2 months ago. I'm 23 now and I have a full-time salaried position so my life is going well, but I needed something for my ADD issues since I'm an accountant and I was having problems.(Obviously not a good choice for a ADDer, but I didn't really know at the time I picked the major) So I went to a psychiatrist about 2 months ago. I didn't tell him about my previous drug habits because I didn't want him to clam up about it and not prescribe me anything. My diagnosis of ADD consisted of me going in there and telling him I had ADD because I did a lot of research and he just believed me. I had expected the total opposite reaction, kind of like what you had said about the special test and what not. I guess because I'm not in school anymore he wasn't so hesitant about me. At first he gave me Strattera, Prozac, and Valium because he didn't want to prescribe Adderall right off the bat since its a schedule II and highly restricted and what not and doesn't look good on his part. Not a good combination for someone like me. I found that the Strattera really didn't do crap, the Prozac didn't really do it for me either, but Valium worked really well for my social anxiety issues but it made me sleepy and benzos are kinda dangerous so I stopped especially since he gave me a 3 month supply of it and I was starting to get addicted to it after about 2 weeks. The next month I went and he gave me Adderall XRs and Generic Adderall and 5 months of Prozac(he's really on this prozac kick but they scare me). Ok so this is a long rambling post, but the whole point I guess is that my Adderall combination alone helps my social anxiety and ADD so much that I'm an entirely different person. Its like flipping on a light switch in a dark room. It just makes everything totally different. I'm an outgoing person, I talk to people who I had always seen around my apartment complex but had never talked to before and I've gained a lot more friends. I hope I don't build a tolerance to it. Now that I've got a permanent prescription to adderall(I don't even have to call my doc, I just walk to his office, its 50 ft from my apartment, talk about serendipity). As long as it keeps working I think Adderall is really the safest drug I've found. Now if I can just stop everything but Adderall, I'll be in good shape. But besides Adderall, I really haven't found anything to help my anxiety issues that doesn't seem to be really expensive, dangerous, or some combination of the two....So if you happen to run across any other good drugs let me know. My doc basically gives me whatever I tell him to give me, which is kind of a double-edged sword for someone like me.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-04, 05:35 AM

charlie,
sorry if im confusing you. I dont mean to be a know it all. I sometimes get carried away and babble on. But what i cant do is try and answer or explain what i mean. First, with the SSRI's, iv been on zoloft for 2 yrs, then was switched to Lexapro with no problem. Well i decided to stop ssri's and even slowely titrated down to 5mg, then stopped. About 2 days later, i was getting electric shock sensations through my head and body. I know it is releated to SSRI withdrawl because this is a side effect profile on the data sheet. Actually you have to like take it down to like splitting the pill in like 4 halfs and take them, i mean 2mg for like a while then stop. I just stopped after 5mg a week. So, i jumped back on lexapro and the shocks stopped. Yes it doesnt relate to add, but some people are on SSRI's and also have add.

The post on dopamine and natural medications. THis is tricky. Some supplements dont work for others, timing and the proper way to take them. L-Tyrosine , must be taken with vit B6 and vit c to convert it over to dopamine. ADD is related to dopamine difficiencies and you see some of these naturall add meds with dopamine precursors,such as L-tyrosine, Munuca Prurriens, NADH, even Phosphytidlserine both increases acytlcholine and Dopamine. Now this is iformation i get from books, or other resources. And there not just so guy on google or something posting it. I make sure the information is backed up by other studies.

As for bipolar, im not too sure. That is one mental health probelm im not too sure off, except for people with bi-polar, get there ups and downs, manic phase, then depressed phase. I know medical wise, depakote, lithium. As for natural meds, mmm, fish oils and choline. But you can find alot about it by searching online, to find out more.

Zoloft, in the psychotropic medicatioins edition 10, they have a listing of TCI's, SSRI'S , along with Remeron, serzone, Welbutrin. effexor. Then they ist the Neurotransmitters and the binding relevance buy using + or - sing. It goes up to five plus +++++ meaning it is or has the most binding ability to the specific site, and - means it has the least or none. Zoloft and welbutrin, both have the same + sign listed for dopamine Reuptake, although zoloft had more for Seratonin reuptake. Welbutrin actually had more norepinephrine reuptake! Well thats what the good ol book of psychotropic meds said. But some say its dopaminergic. For Add, i dont think its a great drug. Neither does alot of others who post about it. But maybe adding welbutrin to adderall or ritalin, may help more. Trial and Error. But note, via your doctor.

I suffer from Social anxiety but it could be from having ADD, because persons with ADD TYPE 2 display antisocial behavior, lethargic depression, unmotivated, lack of joy in life, life is just boring and everything you do is boring. For example, and how i know i have this type, before i started adderall, i would maybe spend 1 hr tops if i felt like it online. I would sleep alot more, i would not tend to go out unless i was drinking or high. But now, im still not like mr. social and doing carweels in my yard, LOL, but i sure do spend about 8-10 hrs on my computer, doing work. I talk a bit more, my mood is increased, but now, if i had bi polar, and i was in say the manic phase, im sure id go off the deep end with a stimulant. But that is only my opinion. Wouldnt stimulants be effective in your depressed phase? Then manic phase, more so a benzo, or sedative. I still dont know how lithium works, besides its a salt .

I hope i didnt cofuse you
mindrsch
Old 09-24-04, 06:40 AM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
MindResearcher, Thanks I'm learning!

[size=1]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [/size
MindResearcher]...slowely titrated down to 5mg, then stopped. About 2 days later, i was getting electric shock sensations through my head and body. ... i mean 2mg for like a while then stop.

How high was your maintenance dose before you stopped ?

The following I'm just going to have and re-read and figure out how I would get/mix/obtain (I see myself with a cubbord overflowing with vitamin bottles)... L-Tyrosine , must be taken with vit B6 and vit c to convert it over to dopamine. ADD is related to dopamine difficiencies ...naturall add meds ... L-tyrosine, Munuca Prurriens, NADH, even Phosphytidlserine both increases acytlcholine and Dopamine. ...

... Zoloft and welbutrin, both have the same + sign listed for dopamine Reuptake, although zoloft had more for Seratonin reuptake.
No wonder so many on the forum are also on Welbutrin

I suffer from Social anxiety but it could be from having ADD, because persons with ADD TYPE 2 display antisocial behavior, lethargic depression, unmotivated, lack of joy in life, life is just boring and everything you do is boring. ...
You could've been writing about me!

Wouldnt stimulants be effective in your depressed phase? Then manic phase, more so a benzo, or sedative.

It seems the Zoloft almost flatlines or nullifies the ups and downs. I don't miss the downs but truthfully I do miss the ups. I waaayyy don't look forward to any of the electric shock feelings you mention above.

I hope i didnt cofuse you
mindrsch

Thanks, greatly appreciated you taking the time to answer all!

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Old 09-25-04, 07:18 AM

Ya, i apologise to the board if i came off the wrong way saying that i research this or that. I really did not know because i was so used to posting in that faction on another board. But anymore, ill use facts or what actually occurrs in my body. But alot of the readings i do recieve are for the most part lagitamit, but it comes down to the fact that everyones brain chemistry differs. So , if Zoloft or adderall, did great for me, and i said ," oh zoloft and adderall are the best for add, and depression" i do agree this is not a good statement. Now saying it just like well these meds worked well for me, is not bad.

I just seem to pile all this info in my head and sometimes just feel like posting it. I know when i was a manager at a GNC, we could not tell people that a particular supplement or herb would cure or help them. It had to be worded more like, from what i hear, it works, or in the magazine, studies were done, feel free to read it.

I myself get confused when people, (mainly on this other mental health board) would post all types of stuff, and would be confusing. One guy would say such and such med works great for depression, then someone else would post and say its horrible and doesnt work. So. well.

Just to finish, brain chemistry is very very complicated, and trying to learn it all or try to say that this drug or that supplement is a sure fire approach, well maybe to them, but due to the fact that our brains are so complex, not one substance doesnt work for everyone.

I basically realized that my problem was never properly diagnose by a doctor, and the meds i would be perscribed would not really help me. Trial and error was my deal, after seeing numerous doctors. Even doctors , dont know for sure if a medication will work for sure, esp. when it comes to natural remodies. But i do apologize if i came across confusing or posting in a medical type manner.

thanks
nm
Old 02-19-05, 12:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

jayblaze2 is on a distinguished road
screw ssris get some xanax. i hated ssri's they all were terrible. i think people trick themselves into thinking the stuff works. i felt better off them. xanax has been a life saver. i also take dex
Old 02-19-05, 07:42 PM

cualexander is on a distinguished road
i love xanax... it works great and its so cheap... $15 for 62 Xanax Bars... I since I only take a quarter of a bar at a time, one prescription can last me a long long time..
Old 03-10-05, 03:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

abre los ojos has disabled reputation
Klonopin or Valium might be the better choices since they have longer half-half's