ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-18, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

MindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the roughMindBlind is a jewel in the rough
How would you describe your racing thoughts at night?

I know this is a big issue for many of us. Sometimes our own brains are just so noisy and active that it keeps us awake. It’s been a challenging for me lately because it seems that no matter how tired I am, my brain is jumping from one thought to another and another and another, etc. It’s like a drunk toddler mashing buttons on a TV remote without abandon and you’re forced to sit through an endless barrage of audiovisual ********. It can get so bad that it feels like there really is a drunk toddler in charge of my thoughts as I can hear my inner monologue speak in made up languages, strings of music that don’t seem to follow any satisfying pattern, vivid imagery that flashes obnoxiously in my mind’s eye, memories being mashed together, etc.

I find it so difficult to explain how I experience my mind racing. People often assume that these racing thoughts are accompanied by worries, and they can be, but they’re easier to manage because I have tools to cope with that. I don’t yet have any tools to cope with the drunken brain toddler aside from drowning out the noise with watching YouTube videos or pacing around until I pass out. Regrettably, I also sometimes resort to drinking. I know it’s bad and it’s only done in desperation but that’s how frustrating it is to have a drunken toddler for a prefrontal cortex.

How would you guys describe these racing’s thoughts? And do they only happen to you at night or throughout the day? My brain seems to be permanently stuck in the terrible two’s. Also, what helps you manage racing thoughts at night? Or just in general. Has your medication made it better or worse? I’d love to hear your thoughts ��
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MindBlind For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (11-28-18), Greyhound1 (11-26-18), namazu (11-28-18)
Old 11-26-18, 11:22 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,553 Times in 7,491 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How would you describe your racing thoughts at night?

This may sound weird but I usually get up and eat some chocolate and go back to bed. It helps break my racing thoughts and when the sugar crash kicks in about 15-20 mins later, I’m out.

I think the release of dopamine is what helps settle my mind. Probably, not the answer for most people but it does help me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (11-28-18), MindBlind (11-27-18), namazu (11-28-18)
Old 11-28-18, 03:20 PM

ShipwreckSiren is on a distinguished road

When I don't take medication mine are like I'm always thinking. About the past, the present the future, what will I eat, where would I like to travel, a song is playing, things I wish would happen, memories, existential ****, etc. Sometimes at night they speed up and become just noise. Like a crowded train station of indistinguishable audio. Medication has made mine better. My thoughts are quiet when I go to sleep but I struggle to sleep on amphetamine right now and i may also have depression which may be where my sleep issues come from.
Andi (11-29-18), CharlesH (11-28-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-18, 03:49 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
It helps break my racing thoughts and when the sugar crash kicks in about 15-20 mins later, Iím out.
Wouldn't 15-20 mins actually be when the sugar is at its peak levels in your system?
Old 11-29-18, 08:36 AM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,046 Times in 2,505 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute

I focus on past, future, present as well. How I wish I could change things, the hurt from painful memories or how great it would be if x happened and then...why didn't I do this today or why didn't I get more done. I also start a lot of fights in my head or some awful tragedy that I have to deal with and then I'm overwrought with emotion and I lay there and cry. Here lately it's been on and off about my mom who has had a stroke and although she's clinging to life she rejected me yet again. Really struggling on how to deal with that. Doc says that what I'm dealing with is my anxiety. What is sad is the number of medications that I'm on should knock out a horse and there I am, lying awake in bed, hoping that I'll fall asleep soon.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
Old 11-29-18, 08:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,182 Times in 13,196 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting - I don't have any sleep issues, but this of this kind of stuff hits me like a train the second I wake up in the morning.