ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 03-28-12, 04:54 PM
Jr Member

zen_radius has a spectacular aura aboutzen_radius has a spectacular aura about
Prescription crisis... time for a break?

Howdy all. I'm 26, got diagnosed with inattentive ADD when I was 24. After much work with therapists & psychiatrists, I started taking medication... first Adderall, then Vyvanse. I did okay for my 24 undiagnosed & unmedicated years, even holding down a 9-to-5 doing software development for a couple of years. I delved seriously into learning about ADD when I almost got fired due to poor productivity.

I moved from Cleveland to Los Angeles this month! Big life change. I'm also giving freelance consulting a shot. It's been going great so far, except I'm running out of Vyvanse tomorrow. I've been calling psychiatrists in the west L.A. area trying to get an appointment since before I moved out here, but none are taking new patients. I tried my health insurance website's provider search, and the first 5 results were a group home, a workman's comp center, a child psych department, and two clinicians who aren't taking on new patients and couldn't refer me to anyone else.

I know, I know. You're not supposed to play armchair psychiatrist when it comes to this stuff. But, Vyvanse is a protected substance. My Ohio psych can't phone or fax in my prescription. At this rate, I'm not going to find someone who can see me and give me a prescription in the next 36 hours before I run out of meds. So regardless of further plans, I may as well stock up on Coca-Cola and get ready for a rousing weekend of amphetamine withdrawal.

I have two questions: I've been consistently on meds for a couple of years now. It was a game-changer at first, and I do even better on Vyvanse than Adderall, but I'm clearly capable of functioning without the drugs. Should I just give it another shot and relax my fervent search for a local psychiatrist? I still ought to find a therapist and/or psychiatrist eventually, because therapy (at least) has tangibly helped me. But maybe it's time for a break from the drugs.

This is a time of great changes for me. I was fully-employed from the time I was 19 up until the beginning of this month. I just moved across the country to live with my girlfriend (no "red flag" warnings, please; I know it's crazy ;-P). I'm even getting a new car. I'm concerned about going off the drugs right as I'm trying to start freelancing, because discipline seems to be the number one requisite for being self-employed, and discipline has never been my strong suit. On the other hand, I have some money saved up and can afford to spend a few months trying to find myself, even if I go crawling back to the 9-to-5 world with my tail between my legs.

Basically I'm up for any advice or input. Also, if I should keep on the drugs: Where in the world do I find a psychiatrist?!
The Following User Says Thank You to zen_radius For This Useful Post:
varied_in_style (03-28-12)
Old 03-28-12, 05:28 PM

Osakhomen is on a distinguished road
Re: Prescription crisis... time for a break?

If the drug works for you, why get off of it? Especially without any type of therapist/psychiartist to help you through the process... but at the same time, you don't really have a choice. I personally would still try to find a psychiatrist and therapist... maybe try to save some of the vyvanse you have and spread it out? Never know when you'll really need it badly. Maybe drink a bunch of green tea, mate tea, or coffee...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Osakhomen For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (03-29-12), varied_in_style (03-28-12)
Old 03-28-12, 05:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDarren has a spectacular aura aboutADDarren has a spectacular aura about

That's a bummer........it takes 2 months to see a psych where I live.
I imagine it's longer in L.A.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-12, 06:03 PM

varied_in_style is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry you've been having so much trouble finding a new doctor. I wish I could give you some advice, but all I can really say is to keep looking. Who knows, maybe you'll find someone sooner than later, but that can't happen if you stop looking entirely. I wish you all the best in your search, and spreading out what medication you have left might help as well, but considering I haven't taken my own medication in so long? It might be best to not take that from me.
Old 03-28-12, 09:53 PM

jennyb2492 is on a distinguished road

Do you need a psychiatrist? Could you try making an appointment with an MD, and walk in with copies of your medical records and see how that goes?
How about a psychiatric nurse practitioner? They can diagnose and medicate and do therapy as well. Often your insurance will have a department that helps people coordinate care - you may have to ask the person you talk to about being transferred to someone in that kind of department - I have had to do that before with my son's dual diagnoses of autism and ADHD and they helped me find the right kind of MDs (and a nurse practitioner).

Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to jennyb2492 For This Useful Post:
Joker_Girl (03-29-12)
Old 03-29-12, 03:16 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,492 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

You do know that it doesn't have to be a psych that prescribes you ADHD meds, right? I have been getting my prescription from GP's for years.
Joker_Girl (03-29-12)
Old 03-29-12, 11:52 PM

irishgirl49 is on a distinguished road

Never thought I would be so glad to live in pittsburgh... I called about making an initial appt and I was in within two weeks.

I have a question that relates though... I am a college student, and live outside NYC during the summer (or possibly boston this summer). Should I see if my psychiatrist will write me four months worth of prescriptions?

she normally writes me two months at once, and to be completely honest it wouldn't be awful to fly out to pittsburgh for a weekend... but still. anyone been in this situation before?
Old 04-07-12, 01:34 AM

jennyb2492 is on a distinguished road

Can't hurt to ask...state law limits the number of prescriptions, in some states.