ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Psychotics
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-13, 09:37 PM
Contributor

adhdpi is on a distinguished road
Re: Do antipsychotics make ADHD worse or make stimulants work worse

I keep on wondering if I am experiencing a psychosis even thought it does not feel that way. It didn't anyway. I feel more and more that the things I experience can't be correct.

I mean, why didn't I win the lottery if I am truly that great right?

Why don't I see any evidence for the things I experience? Is it all coming from my brain?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhdpi For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-04-13), peripatetic (09-04-13)
Old 09-04-13, 11:05 PM

Thanked 34,109 Times in 15,440 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i rhink those are reasonable questions to ask. how're you feeling today ?
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-05-13)
Old 09-05-13, 12:20 AM
Contributor

Canadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to behold

Hello ADHDpi! We haven't spoken in a while, as it seemed that everything was going smoothly, and all... I'm just wondering what are the costs and benefits of being right or wrong about the future contacting you.

If you are right about being contacted by the future/computers, you being programmed so that you become God or being immortal, you can control the fate of the universe after the programming- that would be amazing! You could do so much, you could avoid death, you could be like one of those mind readers or figure out the lottery, cure cancer... all amazing benefits.

What I am concerned about is, what if you are wrong? Or you are right, but the connection with the future gets disconnected or those psi waves stop working and I mean permanently or they suddenly turn on you? If they have this kind of power, it could be easy for them to find someone else or change their minds.

I'm just concerned that you are pinning your entire future and turning your life around on powerful computers from the future, or winning the lottery. If you are wrong, you could put all your time and effort into something that isn't going to see any benefits- you may still have ADHD, still be on welfare checks, still not have a job, may not ever get an education so you can cure cancer by using clinical trials and research, and you may never reach immortality and will die very disappointed.

That feeling of euphoria isn't the kind of proof you need. You need a kind of proof that's tangible, concrete. Is there some way you can ask the future for tangible proof that they are programming you? Not a feeling, but something like winning the lottery (like the Lotto Max or Lotta 649), someone important from the present meeting you... something that would prove that they are really on your side and will really do what they claim they can do. Not years from now, but in the near future. Ask them to program you so you can get a job, go to school, or become a researcher, something that truly benefits your life. Feelings don't last forever, you need more than feelings to live.

In the mean time, could you try seeing what you can do on your own to accomplish your goals? Like what grades you need for university, what university programs do you need to do research, what scientific studies are out there (I see you already did that), how to do a drug trial... are there scholarships for people with disabilities to help out? can you use your typing skills to get a job- similar to typing for a forum only you get paid?

This way, if the future isn't helping you, you can do things in the present and will help you achieve your future (without the future computers help I mean). And if you are right about the future, then they will probably back up your plans anyways.
namazu (09-11-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-13, 12:30 AM
Contributor

Quote:
If you are right about being contacted by the future/computers, you being programmed so that you become God or being immortal, you can control the fate of the universe after the programming- that would be amazing! You could do so much, you could avoid death, you could be like one of those mind readers or figure out the lottery, cure cancer... all amazing benefits.
You are exactly right. The story I made is so wonderful that I want to believe it's true!

Quote:
What I am concerned about is, what if you are wrong? Or you are right, but the connection with the future gets disconnected or those psi waves stop working and I mean permanently or they suddenly turn on you? If they have this kind of power, it could be easy for them to find someone else or change their minds.
I'm more afraid that this all is just a psychosis.

I'm not worried anymore about losing the stuff I persumably have. I used to but after alot of thinking and "following my mind" I learned that it's not something I should worry about.
The Following User Says Thank You to adhdpi For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-11-13)
Old 09-05-13, 12:31 AM
Contributor

Canadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to beholdCanadian Mess is a splendid one to behold

If you are talking about the God of the bible... tribulation and the rapture have very specific signs. We'd all know it if it was the tribulation and rapture. But this is a forum where religion isn't discussed, so I'll just say a simple "no". But I don't know what other religions have to say or if your future computers have created a religion based on you.
Old 09-05-13, 02:43 AM
Contributor

I recently had the experience that I tried to sleep, but my head was on short-circuit exactly when I tried to sleep and I woke up immediately. Does this has something to do with psychosis?

Like explained before, I am continuously following my mind. Sometimes I feel controlled by it, like I can't do the things I want to do myself, but I have to obay what this "mind of mine" says.

Once, I said to myself: I want to go to gea (a dutch person), but my mind caused me to subsequently think: I don't want to go to gea. Causing indecisiveness. Not being able to gea, whatever I do. Like someone put a LOGICAL CONSTRAINT on me.

Doesn't matter how much time I say to myself: "I want to go to gea", I can't go there. It's really odd.

Then I ask myself: Why don't I want to go to gea? The answer I don't know or the answer is: Because I am following my mind and my mind's decision is more important then my own decision. Am I really being controlled by my mind? (in a good way anyway, because my mind did not do any bad things on me: It didn't tell me to act crazy in front of others!)

By the way, if this is a psychosis, then I have spent the last decade doing nothing more then nothing (I spent alot of time on this "psychosis")!

I spent something like 3 years figuring out what this "everything" is.

The potion against cancer took me 6 years. Together with this my idea of sensitisation took me 4 years. Theorizing how to make artificial intelligence another year or so.

Like said, I live on disability funds and I spend the entire day daydreaming and thinking about this! It's my fulltime job!

It's kind of stupid to realise that I haven't been doing anything productive the last 10 years.

Last edited by adhdpi; 09-05-13 at 03:06 AM..
namazu (09-11-13), peripatetic (09-11-13)
Old 09-05-13, 12:04 PM
Contributor

If you are thinking that your "mind of mine" is starting to control your actions and telling you what to do, instead of letting you do what you want, that is very scary and I understand why you would be worried.

But at the same time, you are acknowledging that you haven't done anything other than the programming and the "psychosis". I don't think it's a waste though- you have thought of things that you want to do. You want to make a cure for cancer and you want to make artificial intelligence.

You are only 29 right? Most people live to be around 80, that means you still have time to realize your dreams. Artificial intelligence may be impossible to reach right now with our lack of technological advances, and the fact that you are on disability funds... however, that doesn't mean you still can't try to find ways to meet your goals.

First of all, if all you do is think about what you want, it won't help because daydreaming can't achieve things. I wouldn't depend on your "mind of mine" and "future programming" to achieve your goals- you've waited 10 years for them to do something. Why not try and help them out a bit?

Like for example, if you spent less time daydreaming and tried things that could bring you closer to your goal- are there any classes in your area that are cheap for meditation? can you exercise? Those could strengthen your mind and concentration, and help you focus into what you need to do.

If you are starting to worry about the psychosis, you could approach community programs that help people get a fresh start, disability services that help disabled people find jobs, find a doctor you trust and ask what to do with the ADHD and psychosis...

What I'm saying is it's not too late to start going towards your goals- you are in charge of your future, you don't have to let the future computers and "mind of mine" stop you. Even if they promise you help, like you said before there are other candidates out there. Whether or not your beliefs are real, it's best to try to test them out and decide what to do.

Many people spend years doing something they thought was helping but in fact got them no where near their goals. Some spend 8 years in university, get a masters and still can't find a job and they are in huge debt. Some spend 5 years on a relationship and think it's what they want, end up divorced and depressed, and abused. It's not a waste though, it's a learning experience and it teaches them what they really want and what they don't want. They may realize they weren't meant to be a teacher, they are actually great at being helping disabled children. They may realize that a husband isn't what they really wanted, they just need to be more independent and secure. They may realize that they spent 20 years in alcoholism, lost everything and then need to rebuild their lives sober. It's not too late though.
Old 09-07-13, 07:13 AM
Contributor

Why would I think that the things I am feeling, the thoughts I am thinking about and the time I have spent was nothing more then a psychosis?
Old 09-08-13, 09:38 AM
Contributor

Now that I am telling "my mind" that I would be willing to change into this "everything conciousness" it's not giving me any replies anymore. It seems that "my mind" just disappeared. I follow the same strategy, trying to "follow my mind", but I get no response.

Maybe I have to be patient.
namazu (09-11-13), peripatetic (09-09-13)
Old 09-11-13, 05:03 AM
Contributor

Everything is normal again. No communication with my mind. Nothing unusual happening. A few days ago I felt that my dreams were a littlebit odd (like they were special, controlled dreams that were specially engineered to teach me a lesson of some kind), but now nothing.

I still wonder what happened. I have alot of theories, but these are just theories, none of them proven stuff (or based on anything concrete).

I still wonder if this is real or fake. I still don't have any proof that it is real, but rationally I think there is a chance it is real.

Maybe I am still being controlled by "my mind" but it happens unconscious, without my knowing.

Or maybe this is the end of a (minor) psychotic episode?

Why do I rationally think there is a chance that it is real?

Well, I read about psi phenomenon (remember that I had communication with the future), for example I read about uri geller's psi abilities being tested in a controlled condition (it's an old study, but that doesn't make it bad) and it really convinced me that psi abilities do exist. So maybe I am experiencing a 'weak' form of psi abilities (the ability to communicate with the future or whatever).

http://www.deanradin.com/evidence/evidence.htm

Last edited by adhdpi; 09-11-13 at 05:23 AM..
namazu (09-11-13), peripatetic (09-11-13)
Old 09-11-13, 05:21 AM
Contributor

Conclusion
It appears quite clear from the above review that irrespective what interpretation
is given to specific research reports, the overall results of parapsychological
experimentation are indicative of an anomalous process of information transfer, and
they are not marginal and neither are they impossible to replicate. In the face of this,
the critic who merely goes on asserting there is no evidence for psi is using a tactic
reminiscent of Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraq’s former information Minister, in

blindly asserting there are no American troops in Baghdad.

Old 09-11-13, 01:46 PM

Thanked 34,109 Times in 15,440 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

as to why you rationally think there's a chance it's real... not the least of which being...nobody CAN prove it's not. plus...you get into these habits of thinking. or ...people do. i do. and it's hard to just wipe that away even if you really have no reason not to.

for any number of reasons. but there are three ...like... sets of things that create symptoms and one is "reality distortion" and it's...you know, think about it: if it didn't seem real...if everything wasn't pointing to it being real...it wouldn't be a problem. the other two sets of things (disorganization syndrome and psychomotor poverty) are similar insofar as if you realized the differences between what you're doing and what make sense to do to maintain self care and communicatino with other people...yiou woulnd't be doing it (not saying you are...but...it happens to the best of us).

insight. it is a ******* nightmare ***** to have...but then you're just trapped in your own loops wtihout it.

unsure if this post makes sense
i'll try to write mroe later
maybe not on here because it seems very starkly exposed
but..i will
take care x
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-16-13)
Old 09-11-13, 04:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDofftheWall will become famous soon enough

Antipsychotics are prescribed strictly for Schizophrenia, Drug-Induced Psychosis, and Bipolar Disorder. They are thought to work by blocking the dopamine activity in the meso-limbic pathway. Abnormal DA activity in that neural region and under activity in the pre-frontal cortex is thought to be linked to the symptoms of the disorders, cognitive impairments, and a plethora of other mental problems.

Therefore, it has been hypothesized that blocking the DA activity in those regions would result in long-term symptom relief and improved quality of life overall.

Stimulants on the other hand work by enhancing the DA activity in those brain regions. Those who have ADHD, Sleep Disorders, and even Depression are thought to have an significantly lower activity in the frontal lobes which facilitate pertinent cognitive processes such as but not limited to attention and executive control, working memory capacity, fluid intelligence, motivation, and inhibition. By increasing the activity, it is thought to temporarily restore the DA activity to normal levels. Hence why, those who have ADHD are not affected by cocaine in the same capacity as others. However, chronic and prolonged abuse of stimulants is thought to cause a somewhat reversible psychosis that presents itself in an indistinguishable manner to Schizophrenia/Bipolar Disorder/etc.

Anti-Psychotics counteract the effects of Stimulants. Hence, why Psychiatrists/Physicians do not generally prescribe typical anti-psychotics and stimulants together.

So back to your question: IF one were to have ADHD and take anti-psychotics it would most likely make the symptoms much worse because the mechanism of antipsychotics will impair the brain activity further and make the symptoms much worse. Anti-psychotics are linked to memory loss and decreased cortical brain matter.

Aside from that the heinous side effects (irreversible weight gain, impaired cognitive processes, diabetes, hair loss to name a few), they should not be prescribed sparingly. I don't know why doctors are starting to prescribe meds like Abilify, Seroquel, and Zyprexa on top of stimulants. It's one of those situations where the remedies hurt more than the disease itself.

And contrary to what people think. Seroquel does not reduce tolerance to adderall. IT has no effect!
Old 09-16-13, 09:31 AM
Contributor

I read stories from other people regarding their psychosis and I found none of their stories is like mine.
Old 09-16-13, 07:31 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Traveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDofftheWall View Post
Antipsychotics are prescribed strictly for Schizophrenia, Drug-Induced Psychosis, and Bipolar Disorder.

Anti-Psychotics counteract the effects of Stimulants. Hence, why Psychiatrists/Physicians do not generally prescribe typical anti-psychotics and stimulants together.
I'm assuming we're talking about A-Typical Anti-Psychotics. They are not prescribed only for Schizophrenia, Drug-Induced Psychosis, and Bipolar Disorder. They are also commonly used off-label for anxiety and other problems.

Anti-psychotics can lessen the benefits of stimulants but it depends on the dosage strength of both drugs. Taking an anti-psychotic along with a stimulant will not cancel-out the full benefit of the stimulant if the strength of the anti-psychotic is lower than the strength of the stimulant. A doctor can help a ADHDer find the right dosage balance between the an anti-psychotic and the stimulant so there's benefit from both meds for an ADHDer. Doctors do it all the time.

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traveler5 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-29-13), peripatetic (09-29-13)