ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-19-13, 07:59 PM

adhdpatient7 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried using stimulants just a few days a week?

I was diagnosed with ADHD a few years ago, as an adult. I have tried Ritalin, Adderall, and Dexedrine, all instant release. I find these stimulants to be fairly helpful.

In the past, I have taken either 10 mg of 15 mg per day of instant release amphetamine (either Adderall or Dexedrine). At this dose, if I take a day off from medication, I will be very tired, a little frustrated, and a little listless. I would say this is stimulant withdrawal. The withdrawal usually lasts a few days, maybe 3 or 5 days.

I want to try using amphetamine just a few days a week, rather than every single day. Do any of you have experience using Adderall, Dexedrine, or Ritalin in this way?

Question 1: How many days a week can I use amphetamine without causing withdrawal? I am thinking 2 or 3 days a week, ideally non-consecutive days.

Question 2: Should I cap my single-day use at 10 mg of amphetamine?

Question 3: If I don't follow a routine (i.e. every single day), am I more likely to develop an addiction and drug cravings? I worry about this.

Please share your experiences or advice. Thank you.
Old 07-19-13, 08:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

Immaculate will become famous soon enough
Re: Has anyone tried using stimulants just a few days a week?

I don't think it's a bad idea. I started taking them every day for the first few months. Then I decided to take a few days off. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to function but you know what? I was just fine.

Then when I went back after a few days off, it was like the first time I took it. It was great. I'll be taking a couple days off a week from now on just to not be dependent on the things, and to drop the tolerance.
Old 07-19-13, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immaculate View Post
I'll be taking a couple days off a week from now on just to not be dependent on the things, and to drop the tolerance.
My major problem is dependence (withdrawal), not tolerance. If occasional use can decrease my tolerance too, that will be an added bonus.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-13, 08:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to allNachons is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdpatient7 View Post
I want to try using amphetamine just a few days a week, rather than every single day. Do any of you have experience using Adderall, Dexedrine, or Ritalin in this way?
I only use it when I need it to function. That could mean every day in a week or not at all.

Quote:
Question 1: How many days a week can I use amphetamine without causing withdrawal? I am thinking 2 or 3 days a week, ideally non-consecutive days.

Question 2: Should I cap my single-day use at 10 mg of amphetamine?

Question 3: If I don't follow a routine (i.e. every single day), am I more likely to develop an addiction and drug cravings? I worry about this.
1 - Works fine for me. I do tend to be a little out of it when I stop taking adderall after having taken it daily for several days or weeks in a row. It depends on how long, really. 2 or 3 days a week shouldn't affect you more than a day, if that. I'd keep some caffeine around though.

2 - Take as much as you need, but at the same time, don't take too much. If you're going to need to pay attention to your classes and homework for the next 3 hours then take some. If you're going to do a quick 30-minute assignment, maybe not. It's up to you really.

3 - I don't know really. It depends on the person. I know I won't ever abuse it because I never want it to be a "feel-good" drug instead of one that helps me function. If you don't think you can control yourself then stick to a rigid schedule.

Basically, you get out what you put in as far as the time you spend while these medications are active. Use them intelligently and take care of your body, and you shouldn't ever have a problem.
Old 07-19-13, 08:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

I recommend getting WELLBUTRIN to take on the days you don't take the adderall. Wellbutrin wakes you up and gives you focus like adderall, without the PNS side effects.

Even better, take the wellbutrin with the adderall and on your days off. Wellbutrin potentiates adderall and also makes it last longer.

I have found that you must take the adderall first and then the Wellbutrin an hour or 2 later for the best experience. You will be good to go for 12 hours if you take adderall XR.
Old 07-19-13, 09:07 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,629 Times in 15,110 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I take my meds everyday. My adhd is everyday so not treating it would be like not using a crutch if i had a broken leg.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
navyjake9019 (07-22-13), Nibs91 (07-20-13)
Old 07-19-13, 09:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I take my meds everyday. My adhd is everyday so not treating it would be like not using a crutch if i had a broken leg.

You have to be mentally strong. Don't let the ADD consume you.
Old 07-19-13, 09:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

I take Adderall only as needed for work and social obligations when I need to focus. Otherwise, I take days off. It could be one, two or three days off per week. Not always consecutively. On the days off the difference is obvious...

I've been prescribed Adderall for two and a half months and have not had issues. At the same time, my dose has been increased each month based on my symptoms, but I don't think it's related to tolerance - just being newly diagnosed.
Old 07-20-13, 06:16 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,629 Times in 15,110 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate the kind words but its not about being mentally strong to me, its about life or death. Without meds I am legit, a danger to others, at least while driving and my life would be in more shambles than it already is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immaculate View Post
You have to be mentally strong. Don't let the ADD consume you.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-20-13, 10:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I appreciate the kind words but its not about being mentally strong to me, its about life or death. Without meds I am legit, a danger to others, at least while driving and my life would be in more shambles than it already is.

Then by all means, please take those meds! I would hate for anything bad to happen to that pretty face .
Old 07-20-13, 10:41 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,447 Times in 2,992 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is alot of individual variance and physiology in this question.

Personally. I reckon i'd be out of whack the other days... *Perhaps* if I had little brain activity and good tools, system behind me I could do it.... but yeah, consistency is key where i'm at at the moment.

Having said that, it is a really good thread and please post back any learnings you discover. Cheers!
~ SB_UK ~
Old 07-20-13, 06:05 PM

Routine is good, that is definitely true. Hmm.

I plan to take some Dexedrine tomorrow, and about 2 or 3 days per week thereafter. Let's see how it goes.
Old 07-22-13, 01:47 AM

After about 16 days with no stimulants, I took 3.7 mg of Dexedrine IR today. Normally I start with 5 mg, but I wanted to play it safe, not over-stimulate myself. About an hour later I took 1.2 mg more, because the 3.7 wasn't quite enough. Maybe four hours after that I took 2.5 mg more. That was several hours ago, and I am done with Dexedrine for today.

My tolerance went down a noticeable amount over 16 days, but it did not go down to the level of my first dose ever. Also, the side effects and desired effects increased in lock-step, so no benefit there. In fact, the side effects were a little more intense, relative to the level of stimulation and focus I got. Specifically, my appetite was suppressed, but usually I don't feel that at all if I dose every day.

I am worried that I will have trouble sleeping tonight. Other than that, this is a promising first day. If I have trouble sleeping tonight, then I may need to take Dexedrine in the morning in order to function because of sleep deprivation. I will try to avoid that.
The Following User Says Thank You to adhdpatient7 For This Useful Post:
someothertime (07-22-13)
Old 07-23-13, 02:02 AM

Timeline:

16 days with no stimulants.

Sunday: I took 7.5 mg Dexedrine total. It was a very productive day. I had no trouble falling asleep, which was my biggest fear.

Monday: I took 10 mg Dexedrine total. Ideally I will avoid using Dexedrine two days in a row, but I had a very important presentation to prepare, and I won't have a chance tomorrow.

It is Monday night right now, or more accurately 2 AM Tuesday morning. I hope I don't have trouble getting to sleep tonight either.

Plan for Tuesday: No Dexedrine. I hope I don't feel any withdrawal. My normal withdrawal symptom is tiredness, so I hope I don't feel tired. Tuesday is a very good day for no Dexedrine, because I have 4 hours of meetings in which I can zone out. Using Dexedrine before meetings in which I don't plan to talk much is a waste of Dexedrine.

I will try to only use Dexedrine one more day this week.

I really hope I don't have withdrawal tomorrow. I am eager to find out. Science is fun.
Old 07-24-13, 06:18 PM

Update:

I did not take any stimulants on Tuesday or Wednesday (today), and I did not notice any withdrawal. In fact, I slept somewhat less than normal and didn't feel tired.

I have not decided whether I will take stimulants tomorrow (Thursday). I plan to take some on Saturday because I have an important presentation, and focus is good.

Today, I am experiencing considerable anxiety. Back when I took stimulants every day, I might have blamed the stimulants. But I haven't had any Dexedrine in over 40 hours, so I guess I am just naturally anxious.