ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 06-27-20, 11:29 AM

Kruzaide is on a distinguished road
Blood test on serum concentration of Dexedrine, questions, help pls!

Hi,
I'm on Vyvanse 60mg + Dexedrine IR 60mg each day. Since I already am at the highest dosage according to the guidelines and still feel it isn't enough... my psychiatrist said I should go get a blood test done for checking the concentratin of Damp with my GP. My main problem is, vyvanse lasts for 5-6 hours and Dex IR (ER isn't available in germany) maybe for like 3 hours... I get crashes nearly every day wich really is disgusting. I also become very sleepy.
My Psychiatrist will give a larger dose of Vyvanse (140mg) + smaller Dose (15mg) a try and maybe this will help.
My question is. At what time should I take wich amount of medication if I get the blood test done at 10 a.m.? and what results should I expect (what concentration)?
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks and have a nice weekend!
Cheers from germany
Old 07-05-20, 08:15 PM

mikl_pls is on a distinguished road
Re: Blood test on serum concentration of Dexedrine, questions, help pls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzaide View Post
Hi,
I'm on Vyvanse 60mg + Dexedrine IR 60mg each day. Since I already am at the highest dosage according to the guidelines and still feel it isn't enough... my psychiatrist said I should go get a blood test done for checking the concentratin of Damp with my GP. My main problem is, vyvanse lasts for 5-6 hours and Dex IR (ER isn't available in germany) maybe for like 3 hours... I get crashes nearly every day wich really is disgusting. I also become very sleepy.
My Psychiatrist will give a larger dose of Vyvanse (140mg) + smaller Dose (15mg) a try and maybe this will help.
My question is. At what time should I take wich amount of medication if I get the blood test done at 10 a.m.? and what results should I expect (what concentration)?
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks and have a nice weekend!
Cheers from germany
Guten Abend! (It's approximately 7:00 PM here in the US in Alabama.)

These are all great questions for your psychiatrist and/or doctor, who should advise you about when to take your meds and when to get the blood test, but I'd be happy to try and address them!

Usually blood tests that are testing for drug concentrations are taken "at trough," meaning that the blood test is done before the next dose of medicine is due to be taken. So for you, I would imagine that if you have your blood test at 10 AM, you would need to take your Vyvanse + 1st dose of Dexedrine right after the blood test is over. Definitely confirm this with your psychiatrist and/or general doctor though.

According to the attached link, the test (at least in the US) that will be done is a measure of all amphetamines. The reference range is 10-100 ng/mL according to this site (this is the most common lab I have my blood work done with).

https://www.labcorp.com/tests/808580...erum-or-plasma

A little unsolicited advice...

As for your current regimen, Vyvanse 60 mg + Dexedrine 60 mg, that is considered way above what anyone would prescribe in the US... lol. With Vyvanse 60 mg, you're getting the equivalent of about 24.271 mg dextroamphetamine sulfate + the 60 mg dextroamphetamine sulfate from the Dexedrine, for a total of ~84.271 mg.

With 140 mg Vyvanse, you'd be getting the equivalent of about 56.632 mg dextroamphetamine sulfate + 15 mg Dexedrine = 71.632 mg dextroamphetamine sulfate total. You'll be getting less dextroamphetamine, and more of it will be in an extended release form, so you will definitely feel like you're getting much less stimulant.

I'd probably ask your psychiatrist if you could keep the Dexedrine dose closer to 20-30 mg/day to keep it closer to your original dose so you aren't under-dosed, especially for in the AM because Vyvanse takes generally about 2-3 hours to start working because it relies on digestion to work.

Cheers! (Prost!)
Current Rx's: Caplyta (lumateperone) 42 mg qam, dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) 10 mg 2 tid (60 mg), protriptyline (Vivactil) 10 mg tid (30 mg), propranolol (Inderal) 20 mg bid (40 mg), Trokendi XR (topiramate ER) 50 mg qam, zolmitriptan ODT (Zomig-ZMT) 2.5 mg x1 prn, may repeat x1 after 2h prn
Supplements: L-methylfolate 15 mg qam, vitamin D3 50,000 IU q wk