ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 06-25-20, 08:01 AM

mikl_pls is on a distinguished road
Best generic manufacturer of dextroamphetamine?

Hey all. I wanted to ask more the more "seasoned" takers of dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine/Dextrostat) what they thought the most effective generic manufacturers of dextroamphetamine sulfate were, specifically the IR tablets, since that seems to be what works best for me (the ER Spansules feel a bit weaker).

When I started the IR tablets at my family-owned pharmacy (30 mg/day), they were giving me the 10 mg white diamond-shaped Mallinckrodt brand tablets, and I was doing soooo much better off on that than I had been on any other stimulant (even better than when I was on Desoxyn!!!). I have ADHD primarily inattentive presentation and I have severe deficits in my motivation and what must be my reward processing, so the more stimulating the better, it seems.

Up to 40 mg/day and I felt even better, but still not "quite there." I had been on 90 mg/day of Adderall XR before (once) and felt the most functional I had ever felt my entire life that one month.

My doc finally gave me a script for 60 mg/day of Dexedrine, but when I took it to the pharmacy and they ordered the tablets, they brought me aside (thankfully) and mentioned that the brand had changed to Aurolife or Aurobindo, one of the two (can't remember which). All I knew was "this is going to be crap..." based on my experience with other Aurobindo and their associated products... Sure enough, when I started the 60 mg/day but on Aurobindo dextroamphetamine (which are kinda orange-ish pink-ish round tablets), I started getting massive, tremendous headaches (which still haven't gone away, and this has been about 2 years that I've been on it now), my appetite came back with a vengeance and I couldn't stay awake throughout the day without taking at least 1 or 2 naps (part of why I was taking Dexedrine was also to help with weight loss and idiopathic hypersomnia in addition to my rather severe ADHD symptoms), and my ADHD came back, rearing its ugly head again as though I weren't even taking anything. I've tried to get them to order the Mallinckrodt again and they say that my insurance won't pay for it and then they said they can't even get it anymore... I'm almost about to switch pharmacies at least for the Dexedrine because of how terrible it works (or doesn't work) for me.

My ADHD symptoms are now at an all-time worst. I recently ran off the road and got a flat tire and bent the rim on the inside of my wheel because I wasn't paying attention to driving (I was talking away to my friend, looking at him not the road, mind you...) I'm not the only one who says my ADHD symptoms have gotten worse, my parents and close friends have said the same thing.

My doc added protriptyline (Vivactil), a secondary amine TCA (meaning it's basically a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor), to my regimen to see if it helps. I've taken it before with success, it's just impossible to find a pharmacy that can order it and supply it since it's such a rare drug... (I cannot tolerate Strattera especially since it went generic... It makes me literally psychotically depressed. I think it has something to do with its metabolite, 4-hydroxyatamoxetine, being a delta-opioid partial agonist? I didn't really tolerate Strattera well even when it was brand-name...)

I think what I'm going to do before I give up on my local family-owned pharmacy (only for the Dexedrine, that is, they're such nice people I can't leave them completely...), I will go over every brand of generic dextroamphetamine tablet with them and see if my insurance will cover it or if their supplier will order it or both. If we can't work something out, I may have to go to a larger chain pharmacy (which I hate the idea of) and see if they will oblige me in my preference of generic product. (I'm already setup with PillPack Pharmacy for my protriptyline, maybe they'll work with me with the dextroamphetamine?)

I scoured the FDA NDC database and came up with a list of all the manufacturers of both the IR and ER dextroamphetamine, and I'd very much appreciate if y'all could give me any input on what y'all have taken in the past.

IR tablets
  • SpecGx LLC (apparently this is what Mallinckrodt is now, and may be why their supplier supposedly can't get it anymore because they don't know about the name change?)
  • Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. (This is Barr, and I've heard this is AWFUL, and personally have taken both IR and ER Barr dextroamphetamine and felt it was vastly inferior to other brands)
  • KVK-Tech, Inc. (never taken their dextroamphetamine, but have taken their phentermine before, and it seemed decent...)
  • Sunrise Pharmaceutical, Inc.
  • Aurolife Pharma, LLC (I think this is what I have, and I hate it with a passion...)
  • Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
  • Wilshire Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
  • Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc.

ER capsules
  • Amneal Pharmaceuticals of New York LLC (this is actually an NDA Authorized Generic, so it's just like brand-name Dexedrine Spansules, apparently)
  • SpecGx LLC (again, Mallinckrodt)
  • Vensun Pharmaceutials, LLC.
  • Actavis Pharma, Inc. (I've also heard this was close to being like brand-name too, but it's not listed in the NDC directory as an authorized generic)
  • Mayne Pharma Inc.
  • Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc.

I have read around and seen that Mallinckrodt (now apparently SpecGx LLC) is very popular amongst people who take the generic dextroamphetamine, both ER caps and IR tabs. They're apparently "speedier" than even brand-name Dexedrine, and some people like that.

Those who don't like that "speediness" seem to like either the Amneal, Actavis, or Wilshire brands (depending on whether they're taking ER or IR).

Many people claim that Wilshire supplies the dextroamphetamine that Arbor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. uses in their brand-named dextroamphetaminie product "Zenzedi," and thus generic Wilshire and the brand Zenzedi are the same products (just that Zenzedi comes in a wider assortment of dosages), but I haven't verified that to be true or not.

I've never heard of some of these brands though, and know nothing about them (like Sunrise Pharmaceutical, Inc.; Vensun Pharmaceuticals, LLC.; etc.).

Any input would be appreciated here!
Current Rx's: Caplyta (lumateperone) 42 mg qam, dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) 10 mg 2 tid (60 mg), protriptyline (Vivactil) 10 mg tid (30 mg), propranolol (Inderal) 20 mg bid (40 mg), Trokendi XR (topiramate ER) 50 mg qam, zolmitriptan ODT (Zomig-ZMT) 2.5 mg x1 prn, may repeat x1 after 2h prn
Supplements: L-methylfolate 15 mg qam, vitamin D3 50,000 IU q wk
Old 06-25-20, 07:08 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 17,186 Times in 8,116 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best generic manufacturer of dextroamphetamine?

I havenít taken dextroamphetamine IR in a couple years. When I did, I always preferred Mallinkrodt or Corepharma.

I switched back to adderall and had the misfortune once of receiving Aurobindo generic. It was absolutely horrible. It felt like mud going through my veins. I took one dose and trashed the rest.

I havenít tried Aurobindo Dex. but based on my Adderall experience, I never would.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-25-20), mikl_pls (07-05-20)
Old 07-05-20, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I havenít taken dextroamphetamine IR in a couple years. When I did, I always preferred Mallinkrodt or Corepharma.

I switched back to adderall and had the misfortune once of receiving Aurobindo generic. It was absolutely horrible. It felt like mud going through my veins. I took one dose and trashed the rest.

I havenít tried Aurobindo Dex. but based on my Adderall experience, I never would.
Thanks so much for your input!
So this pretty much reaffirms both what I've read and personally experienced.

I think the next time I get my scripts, which is coming up in the next week or two, I may ask my doc to specify Mallinckrodt generic (which may be SpeckGx LLC now?). If my family-owned pharmacy says they can't order it or my insurance won't cover it, I may try getting it through a mail-order pharmacy like Walgreens or PillPack. I'm already doing PillPack for my Vivactil and Stelazine (haven't recieved my first package yet but am supposed to this Wednesday; may switch to Walgreens since they don't have any date constraints and I don't need the pill packaging/sorting service of PillPack).

It seems like Aurobindo/Aurolife is taking over the generics pharmaceutical industry. My generic Zoloft is made by them and it hasn't worked the same ever since I got switched over to it. It seems like anything by them is absolute garbage!

Anywho, thanks so much for your input!
Current Rx's: Caplyta (lumateperone) 42 mg qam, dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) 10 mg 2 tid (60 mg), protriptyline (Vivactil) 10 mg tid (30 mg), propranolol (Inderal) 20 mg bid (40 mg), Trokendi XR (topiramate ER) 50 mg qam, zolmitriptan ODT (Zomig-ZMT) 2.5 mg x1 prn, may repeat x1 after 2h prn
The Following User Says Thank You to mikl_pls For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (07-05-20)
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

JohnSatire34 is on a distinguished road

I've had a lot of experience with all the different Generic brands of Dex IR over the years, followed by 100's of phone calls still to this day to pharmacies always checking what brand they have in before filling and chasing the ones that work.

Aurobindo Dex IR i have a horrible reaction to. Complete brain fog, Lethargy, Depression, massive appetite increases. I even tried blind testing for min. 4 day doses and it was still night/day. Don't want to scare everyone away, this might work for some as i might have a reaction to the sides. i'm not sure.

KVK Tech Dex IR - This is the best i have found for me. No brain fog, great focus, good enough energy. My life is complete with this. I have heard this doesn't work for some people, but for me this is the best out of all the others.

I'm only commenting on these 2 as i've only rotated these 2 brands in the past 12 months and all the others i tried were prior to that and their ingredients may have changed since, so i don't want to mislead anyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnSatire34 For This Useful Post:
mikl_pls (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSatire34 View Post
I've had a lot of experience with all the different Generic brands of Dex IR over the years, followed by 100's of phone calls still to this day to pharmacies always checking what brand they have in before filling and chasing the ones that work.

Aurobindo Dex IR i have a horrible reaction to. Complete brain fog, Lethargy, Depression, massive appetite increases. I even tried blind testing for min. 4 day doses and it was still night/day. Don't want to scare everyone away, this might work for some as i might have a reaction to the sides. i'm not sure.

KVK Tech Dex IR - This is the best i have found for me. No brain fog, great focus, good enough energy. My life is complete with this. I have heard this doesn't work for some people, but for me this is the best out of all the others.

I'm only commenting on these 2 as i've only rotated these 2 brands in the past 12 months and all the others i tried were prior to that and their ingredients may have changed since, so i don't want to mislead anyone.
I experienced the same exact things when I was switched from Mallinckrodt to Aurolife/Aurobindo Dex IR, it was horrible!!! I also had massive headaches/migraines at least once or twice a day every day for about a month. I still get them from time to time, whereas before my migraines would come only once every few months. My ADHD symptoms and hypersomnia returned with a bitter vengeance. It was like I was taking an "anti-placebo" or something! I assume, for all intents and purposes, that I essentially am for all I know!

I have never taken KVK Tech Dex, but I have taken their phentermine, and it was good from what I could tell. I called around some pharmacies and it seems I am unable to get the Mallinckrodt (SpeckGx LLC) Dex IR, but I am able to get the Mallinckrodt in Dex Spansules, so I may consider switching over to it instead. Anything at this point I think would be better than Aurolife/Aurobindo Dex IR. Either that or I might try either KVK Tech, CorePharma, or Wilshire Dex IR. One of those is bound to work... lol

Thanks for your input! It's greatly appreciated!