ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-06, 06:08 PM

hamburgler22 is on a distinguished road
Hi, new here. hamburgler22 from Kentucky

i was diagnosed with ADHD when I was five or six, in first grade. the dr didn't believe in medications but rather encouraged disciplinary adjustments. as i got older, my hyper-ness subsided for the most part, but i don't think the "real" problems ever were fixed... in fact, i think these problems beneathe the surface basically manifested into several more complex emotional/social problems..

i remember realizing that everybody seemed to be making great connections with each other that i could not, starting around 7th and 8th grade. in high school, i made a bunch of new friends right off only to have most of them blow up in my face within months. i lacked some serious social abilities, still do i think. after struggling, i remember thinking "how do i know what to talk about?" as my peers seemed to get each other in every way... i would mentally exhaust myself trying to act and feel "normal", and everyday after school, i remember going over in my head and evaluation of how the day went for me, most often times kicking and cursing at myself for doing or saying something stupid. (i believe this is an instance of ADHD problems manifesting themselves into new problems). i had a couple of close friends that i went to grade school with, and surprisingly i managed to nab a few really cute gf's on the way, though most of the time they ended in a nasty breakups.

because i only had a few close friends in high school, i easily felt competitive emotions with them, if that makes any sense... you know, two of them would go and hang out and wouldn't call me and i would feel sooo betrayed! all kinds of emotions similar to this happened to me and still happen with me! College was no better for me. i joined a frat, which almost tore me apart mentally and emotionally, though i made some good friends in there. i never developed the social skills to meet new people, especially girls, so when my frat buds would bring different girls home every month while i couldn't get one, i felt like a complete failure, and still do to some degree. i haven't had a gf since my sophmore year in college, and that gf was my gf that i had dated since my senior year in high school! so i never even had a gf in college in my opinion, and now that i'm out of school, about to turn 24, each day i think of what a failure i am and face this inside confusion of who i really am. i mean, there are people i graduated high school with that are married, and i have no relationship skills! i feel like i'm doomed to be misunderstood and alone forever. I saw a psych. in college who thought i simply suffered from social anxiety, i took celexa for it, and it helped a little... but it didn't eliminate the constant need for feeling wanted, feeling excepted, constantly feeling like a failure, feeling betrayed by friends, trouble with concentrating and focusing.

anyways, i'm scheduled to meet with a new psychiatrist in a month and i hope to discuss my ADHD concerns with her. honest-to-God, I can't say that all these things i feel are ADHD or not, I'm not a doctor after all. i just want to feel happy and complete one day in my life, or at least much more than i do now. anyways, that's my "about me" rant intro. so it got so long.
Old 12-14-06, 06:22 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Old 12-14-06, 10:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Welcome to the forums!

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-06, 07:40 PM

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about

Welcome!!!

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.
Old 12-17-06, 08:40 PM

pembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nice

and good luck with the psychiatrist and figuring things out.
Baruch Spinoza

Old 12-17-06, 10:30 PM

sterlingag is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-17-06, 10:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Grade A is a jewel in the roughGrade A is a jewel in the roughGrade A is a jewel in the rough
Welcome