ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Recipes
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Recipes Easy recipes for the ADDer & ADD Family

Old 05-12-09, 04:51 AM
Contributor

Johnny123 will become famous soon enough
Re: how does ADD affect your cooking?

I think i need a kitchen with a comfy chair in it and doors which are locked until the food is cooked.

as i ALWAYS walk out to sit down in another room and forget about the stove, or the fact that i'm cooking.

oh and leaving the percolator on the stove in the morning is another classic. the metal has turned a goldy color.
Old 05-12-09, 07:56 AM

Doghorse will become famous soon enough

I forget how long time rice have to boil.
I want everything to be ready in less than 3 minutes. My roommate says it the most fun of his day to watch me cook. Just setting the stove to max... Come on FOOD!! Get done...

Sometimes i am sure I can write mails, text someone while cooking.. Lucky for me I like burned food..
Old 05-26-09, 03:02 AM
Contributor

Annwn is a jewel in the roughAnnwn is a jewel in the roughAnnwn is a jewel in the rough

I love to cook so because I love it, I think I do pretty well at it.

I like to see what I can make up or invent with whatever is on hand and my wife is always amazed at what I can improvise.

I am also good at making multiple dishes and timing everything so it is all ready at about the same time.

My wife who seems likely to be ADD-I, on the other hand, she hates serious cooking or cooking meat. It's too much for her and it shuts her down. She sticks with single dishes or things like grilled cheese or pancakes, etc.

We both hate to clean up after
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-09, 08:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,048 Times in 1,382 Posts
shysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond repute

As a semi-vegetarian ADD health nut, I love to cook and experiment with weird combos to try and make nutritionally complete meals that taste awesome. I have to watch my diet carefully. If I have too many refined carbs, bad fats, and sugars I often crash later and feel depressed and way too tired. Not good.

My family often says what I make smells good and I should make some for them sometime, but then they go on and eat what they're used to instead so I just mostly cook for myself.

I'm pretty good with following bake instruction... but I need to take my time with it or else I'll get overwhelmed. I hate it when my mom watches me bake. I don't like other people thinking I take too long baking, but I have to take my time and set out all of the ingredients in front of me before I do anything (unless I made it a bunch of times before). And I often add a little extra spice to anything I bake. No one complains or seems to notice.

As for burning food, I think I only remember once or twice in my life ever burning anything. If anything I have the opposite problem. Undercooking. Though that's fixable.
The Following User Says Thank You to shysmile For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (10-17-09)
Old 10-12-09, 09:53 AM
Contributor

joklem is a jewel in the roughjoklem is a jewel in the roughjoklem is a jewel in the rough

Never the same way, never with a written recipe, and usually delicious.
Old 10-15-09, 01:35 PM

hceuterpe will become famous soon enough

Nada, I'm great with cooking!

Now, if someone were to come in and see the kitchen after I finished (full of dirty pots and pans everywhere), they would wonder why I never got done.
Old 10-17-09, 03:13 PM

Thanked 10,187 Times in 3,203 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

I'm forbidden to cook as well as handle sharp objects !

Other than that......

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Old 10-19-09, 06:51 PM
Contributor

rd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the rough

I actually enjoy cooking and while I do most of it by instinct I can follow recipies. I like to make wine too which requires attention to detail

Granted I can leave the stove and kitchen trashed and the sink full of dishes for days on end afterward.

I can also live for days on PBJ's, cold cereal and canned goods when I don't feel like cooking or coping.
Old 10-22-09, 05:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

tash11 will become famous soon enough

I love to cook. just not ever day.... why do we have to eat every day? it seems like a waste of time doing it over and over and over and over and ov...
Old 10-22-09, 06:03 PM
Jr Member

Keriam is on a distinguished road

J is a fantastic cook I love it when he cooks for me. We don't eat together super often because 1. He doesn't eat any fruits or vegetables, and I eat a lot so we have different meals and 2. He often is eating at the computer or later at night. When he does cook for both of us it is fantastic, Thai curries, Indian, imaginative meat and pasta dishes
He has tried to make me eggs but we gave up on that. I think lots of the food he makes could be posted over at thisiswhyyouarefat.com but its soo delicious.

I love cooking too and have recently begun the foray into baking. I love it as well I usually make a recipe once and then wing it after that each time I make it.
Old 10-28-09, 06:34 PM

The Trooper is on a distinguished road

generally speaking i just leave the place a total wreck! leave everything everywhere!

ADHD? What do you mean I have ADHD? I just..
...Hey do you like waffles?
Old 05-28-10, 07:34 AM
Jr Member

Violet Dragua will become famous soon enough

I try not to cook as I'm afraid I'll mess it up plus dont really have the motivation, hopefully when I get my meds that will all change.
but I even blew up my sisters microwave because I miss read the packet and heated a sausage roll by the frozen time (8 mins) instead of just 2 mins....ouch she didnt like me much after that
Old 05-28-10, 08:31 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,060 Times in 13,141 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Dragua View Post
I even blew up my sisters microwave because I miss read the packet and heated a sausage roll by the frozen time (8 mins) instead of just 2 mins....ouch she didnt like me much after that
I once cooked "fast -cooking" couscous pouches in boiling water for one hour and a half instead of 1 min 30 seconds! we could have used them as weapons.
Old 05-28-10, 08:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

vja4Him will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisp View Post
I think my ADD ensures that I rarely make the same dish the same way twice. I have a tendency to start randomly throwing in handfuls of spices. Usually, this turns out well.
Same here ...
Old 05-28-10, 08:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

vja4Him will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero View Post
I burn my dinner a lot less now that I am on meds.....

)
Vero
I burn my food often. I don't take any meds (yet).

I have a problem with forgetting, and so I'll start the food, then get busy with something else and completely forget I was cooking something.