ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 06-04-11, 09:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting article on Autism as advantage

I do not think we should read too much into this but it is an interesting article. It proposes that autism may have some situational advantages in a hunter gatherer culture.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0603122849.htm

Dizfriz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (06-04-11), tired1823 (06-04-11)
Old 06-04-11, 09:34 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,083 Posts
sighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant futuresighduck has a brilliant future
Re: Interesting article on Autism as advantage

pretty interesting, though im not really sure what to think of the website... seems to be a lot of unproven claims flying around there, but thats just my thoughts, don't take them too seriously
Old 06-04-11, 09:55 AM

Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighduck View Post
pretty interesting, though im not really sure what to think of the website... seems to be a lot of unproven claims flying around there, but thats just my thoughts, don't take them too seriously
If you are talking about ScienceDaily, it is legitimate and is a compilation of science press releases.

You have to take these with some caution as many are written by the public affairs people rather than scientists but it is considered useful in keeping somewhat in touch with what is going on in science as long as you do not expect any real depth. Not all research will be listed here just what the universities and research facilities deem worthy of a press release. They are usually fairly good in reporting with reasonable accuracy what they have been told and do refer back to the original source.

When I was working, I used to read it once or twice a week to see what was being reported on ADHD and other issues. Handy for that.

Dizfriz
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-11, 10:02 AM

Thanked 24,410 Times in 11,323 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Food for thought. I don't have any real experience with older people who have autism, and it's difficult to extrapolate what my granddaughter would do as an adult in a different society.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (06-04-11)
Old 06-04-11, 11:09 AM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

It's awfully speculative.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (06-04-11), sighduck (06-04-11)
Old 06-04-11, 11:37 AM

Re: Int<input type=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtram View Post
It's awfully speculative.
Totally, but interesting nonetheless. Some of the older adolescent high functioning autistic spectrum males I have talked to might fit well into the scenario of the solitary hunter and that is what piqued my interest

I do not expect this article will have a lot of impact but I thought it was an interesting speculation. Then again a lot of things that are quite interesting to me are not to others. It is amazing how often that happens -grin.

Dizfriz
Old 06-04-11, 05:41 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,767 Times in 3,105 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

very true. autsims are super in most areas of intelligence for what they may lack in other areas. i know a few autistics and theyre really smart and stuffs. naturally ive been thought to have all sorts of crap, but it turns out im not, i just have autistic tendencies! but it seems autism and adhd live side by side considering both's usage in hunter-gatherer peoples. interesting speculations resume and arise

-Hunter S. Thompson
The Following User Says Thank You to Conman For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (06-04-11)