ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 05-31-11, 04:54 AM

Thanked 6,451 Times in 4,701 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation
Re: ADHD Symptoms and Dietary Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ View Post
Having the feeling that we're observing the amplitude of up/downs which the organism supports with mind (quantum collapse of mind) from high (hyper- hypo- glycaemia) to level (no variation).
Medical science can't determine the structure of mind.
The body connects to the mind, just as the mind connects to the body.
Suggestion - that the state of wisdom (which relates to a structural change in the mind) -
- results in demonstrable effect in the body.

The effect - a sensitivity (incapacity to handle) blood glucose variability.

Imagine a skipping rope describing large loops.

As 'quantum collapse' occurs - the amplitude of the loops decrease until the skipping rope bears so much energy that it looks perfectly taut (straight).

The magnitude of decreasing peak/troughs in the skipping rope from high to close to zero - representing the body's physiological capacity for handling blood glucose.

From 'high' (the ability to manage large peaks and troughs in blood glucose level) at birth - to not at all (at wisdom - completion of mind).

The capacity to handle large spike/troughs (not to appear to be affected by variability in blood glucose levels when young) - doesn't (I don't think) mean that 'extreme' variability is sought ... ... merely 'masked'.

Wisdom - Stimulant/Stimulation/Stress-averse when one's boat is floated, differently.

I'm trying to suggest that we can infer the state of the mind from the body's sensitivity to blood glucose variability.

That the development of the mind to wisdom dictates a different internal metabolic profile on the organism -
and that disease occurs if we fail to change our dietary habits in parallel with the needs of our mind (body reactively).

All of the problems (chronic disease in middle age to premature, painful death) we face may be circumvented if all people (simply) switch to a (predominantly) vegetable + pulse diet.

Development of mind -> Dietary change (longevity)
Dietary change (vegetable + pulse) during development of mind to support 'wisdom' metabolic activity.

New Metabolism.
qinkin (05-31-11)
Old 05-31-11, 11:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,621 Times in 14,592 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by qinkin View Post
Perhaps release them into the forest, where they can live good lives, until a small portion need to be hunted, but all of their carcass, bones and stuff could be used for useful reasons, instead of just wasted..
Sb's link

It probably helps prevent cancer/ cure cancer.. . . . . Could this help w/methylation? Hm, tricky.

Autophagy related. It probably helps restore healthy autophagy levels.. Which in turns will reduce cancer cell's numbers.

http://curezone.com/diseases/cancer/faq.asp

http://www.curezone.com/diseases/cancer/gerson.asp

http://gerson.org/GersonTherapy/gersontherapy.htm

_______

http://www.kushiinstitute.org/html/research.html

____

GreenTea information

Sweet! Not so sure non-green tea is acid forming, though. Coffee may prevent certain types of cancer. Caffeine probably is not a contributor to cancer. Caffeine is insecticide, but we are mammals.
Release them into the forest? So millions of animals would run ramant in all neighborhoods and THEN we kill them "just a little" to thin the herd. This makes no sense.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-31-11, 01:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

qinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to all

Uh I erased my post, well I'll try again.. man.

___

OK the alkaline/acid thing.. SB and I had a similar conversation a couple years ago.. I think my understanding has gotten better on this subject.

Oxidation Reduction Potential. Redox and so forth.

Of course drastic changes in overall pH is not desirable. Alkaline pH of the gut is not good for healthy gut bacteria. Alkaline water scares me a little bit for that reason. Food may be a different story.

Also Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is an acid, but it's an oxygen reducer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redox
Quote:
  • Oxidation is the loss of electrons or an increase in oxidation state by a molecule, atom, or ion.
  • Reduction is the gain of electrons or a decrease in oxidation state by a molecule, atom, or ion.
Quote:
  • Biological energy is frequently stored and released by means of redox reactions. Photosynthesis involves the reduction of carbon dioxide into sugars and the oxidation of water into molecular oxygen. The reverse reaction, respiration, oxidizes sugars to produce carbon dioxide and water. As intermediate steps, the reduced carbon compounds are used to reduce nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), which then contributes to the creation of a proton gradient, which drives the synthesis of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) and is maintained by the reduction of oxygen. In animal cells, mitochondria perform similar functions. See Membrane potential article.
  • Free radical reactions are redox reactions that occur as a part of homeostasis and killing microorganisms, where an electron detaches from a molecule and then reattaches almost instantaneously. Free radicals are a part of redox molecules and can become harmful to the human body if they do not reattach to the redox molecule or an antioxidant. Unsatisfied free radicals can spur the mutation of cells they encounter and are thus causes of cancer.
  • The term redox state is often used to describe the balance of NAD+/NADH and NADP+/NADPH in a biological system such as a cell or organ. The redox state is reflected in the balance of several sets of metabolites (e.g., lactate and pyruvate, beta-hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate), whose interconversion is dependent on these ratios. An abnormal redox state can develop in a variety of deleterious situations, such as hypoxia, shock, and sepsis. Redox signaling involves the control of cellular processes by redox processes.
  • Redox proteins and their genes must be co-located for redox regulation according to the CoRR hypothesis for the function of DNA in mitochondria and chloroplasts.

Last edited by qinkin; 05-31-11 at 01:33 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-11, 03:08 PM

qinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB
No more animals born into battery farming techniques - no more suffering of battery farmed animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets
Release them into the forest? So millions of animals would run ramant in all neighborhoods and THEN we kill them "just a little" to thin the herd. This makes no sense.
Makes plenty of sense. Research this more, you may see what I mean. Permaculture uses domesticated animals to keep harmful species of insects and animals away. One example is ducks to keep the snail population under control. Another is chickens scratching around to eat insects and larvae, while leaving droppings, this naturally churns and enriches the soil. . Then eating some of them or whatever if necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icated_animals

Fish would probably be a good idea to get too.. Wild caught fish is healthier. The oils are good for the brain and stuff.

Here's something that's similar to permaculture. I first heard about in the book Omnivore's Dilemma.. Polyface is quite successful.
http://www.polyfacefarms.com/products.aspx
http://www.polyfacefarms.com/principles.aspx
Old 05-31-11, 03:11 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Are you against the idea of killing animals for food?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-31-11, 03:56 PM

I'm not against the idea of naturally raised animals being used as a food source. But not only for the purpose of eating them.
Old 05-31-11, 05:21 PM
Mod-A-holic

Confused. How do you raise them naturally? I assume without hormones or antibiotics but how else? And what else would you do with them other than eat them? I do not know how to butcher a cow if I did I would use the skin hide organs etc

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-31-11, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets
Confused. How do you raise them naturally? I assume without hormones or antibiotics but how else? And what else would you do with them other than eat them? I do not know how to butcher a cow if I did I would use the skin hide organs etc
. Raised by their own parents in a symbiotic setting w/other animals and the ecosystem as a whole w/o degrading the quality of all lifeforms involved.

All to enrich the environment.. And preferably in ways that help it take care of itself more, and provide for us..

Preferably eating animals that have already raised their children to maturity, if possible. This could depend on the animal though.

Manure is how organic farms enrich the soil. Conventional operations don't use the manure for anything I know of, it probably just goes down the drain or something. Yes, using their skins, bones, organs, and such. At least, composting all other wastes. Polyface farm composts the unused chicken (blood, chicken skin, and such)..You have to do that a different way than composting plant matter.

There's def different ways of going about this.
Old 05-31-11, 08:21 PM
Contributor

Surly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_UK View Post
I'd argue that it's just plain unhealthy for people
- that people do not actually need to eat meat.
But they are so darn tasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_UK View Post
Drinking even weak tea/coffee produces a burning sensation around the gums (now).
Hot liquids will do that!

Quote:
I'm not against the idea of naturally raised animals being used as a food source. But not only for the purpose of eating them.
I really appreciate the time you guys put into these posts. The science and research you two present...amazes me.

My family and I have been making changes in the way we eat: more vegetables (even raising our own), less fats, refined sugars and flour. Pretty much avoiding, "White" foods. I have noticed a profound change in my attitude, focus, and health.

So I endorse healthy eating. While a lot of people may not get into the science behind food (don't get me started on the politics) and many don't even care, you can't go wrong encouraging people to eat healthily.
My high tolerance for chaos is compensation for my low tolerance for B.S.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surly Dave For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-31-11), qinkin (06-01-11)
Old 06-01-11, 08:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
. Raised by their own parents in a symbiotic setting w/other animals and the ecosystem as a whole w/o degrading the quality of all lifeforms involved.

All to enrich the environment.. And preferably in ways that help it take care of itself more, and provide for us..

Preferably eating animals that have already raised their children to maturity, if possible. This could depend on the animal though.

Manure is how organic farms enrich the soil. Conventional operations don't use the manure for anything I know of, it probably just goes down the drain or something. Yes, using their skins, bones, organs, and such. At least, composting all other wastes. Polyface farm composts the unused chicken (blood, chicken skin, and such)..You have to do that a different way than composting plant matter.

There's def different ways of going about this.
Here is the definiton of symbiotic:1.*the living together of two dissimilar organisms
- can you explain the contex in which you used this term because I feel like I'm missing something.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
qinkin (06-01-11)
Old 06-01-11, 12:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

bof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nice

Quote:
Everyone I think has dietary restrictions, based on something.. , if you're eating 95% plant based diet I don't see cancer developing . ..
Although I believe mankind in general needs to have more respect for creatures and realize that they're not the only ones on the planet that need to survive, and understand the implications of how they affect the ecosystem and why they shouldn't tamper with it, I don't believe everyone should sustain from eating meat.

Don't assume that because it's a plant, it's good for you. Where do you think cocaine comes from? Coca leaves. Many many plants can cause liver damage. And some are known to cause cancer as well:

Quote:
Zeng Yi, a researcher at the Chinese Institute of Epidemic Diseases Prevention and Treatment, has discovered 52 varieties of plants containing cancer-causing substances in a study of 1,693 herbs and plants. He said many ornamentals that people were familiar with had a substance called Epsteln-Barr that could induce cancer antigen virus.
In fact, graviola tree fruit is known to cure cancer better than chemotherapy and companies have been trying to modify it for over a decade so they can patent it (of course due to greed), but if you continually eat the natural fruit it leads to atypical Parkinson's because it's toxic to the dopaminergic neurons.
The Following User Says Thank You to bof00 For This Useful Post:
qinkin (06-01-11)
Old 06-01-11, 01:09 PM

This can become very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsweets
Here is the definiton of symbiotic:1.*the living together of two dissimilar organisms
- can you explain the contex in which you used this term because I feel like I'm missing something.
I downloaded a 30GB torrent entirely on Permaculture a few months ago. It's got books, audio and video that I've been reviewing.. It may still be up.. Took me a couple weeks to download.it. .

_____

Having flowers that attract beneficial insects, like bees. The bees also serve another role in taking care of the plant's needs for pollination. Another role is that honey serves as a food source for humans. My friend who ate honey on a regular basis, after discovering she was allergic to pollen, is no longer allergic to it (was tested).. So now the flowers and bees have served a medicinal role as well. . It's not wise to disturb this aspect in an ecosystem.. There many plants that depend on pollination to produce fruit or seed.. So there's at least 3 organisms forming that symbiotic relationship.

And other animals eating invasive pests to prevent the desirable plant from being wiped out.

_________

Some paradigms, like Permaculture just make more sense than others by default.. It's based on a more complete level of scientific understanding.

Last edited by qinkin; 06-01-11 at 01:26 PM..
Old 06-01-11, 03:01 PM

Thanked 17,516 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of this thinking of ending farming animals for meat or work, releasing them into the wild, etc., depends on everyone growing/hunting their own food, and eliminating a lot of products we use daily. Ain't gonna happen. I would certainly like to see animals being raised in more humane conditions, and patronize farms that use these methods as much as possible.

In fact, a lot of the information being fed to us by purveyors of "alternative" medicine, diets, and lifestyles is out of touch with the greater picture, and sometimes willfully deceitful. For example, Gerson therapy for cancer, which qinkin linked to. There is no proof for its efficacy, no reason to assume it would work at all, and the ethics of those who promote it are questionable. If people applied the same level of skepticism/distrust towards these treatments as they often do towards evidence-based medicine, they wouldn't stand up to the questioning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
bof00 (06-01-11), Dizfriz (06-02-11)
Old 06-01-11, 03:21 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thank god you chimed in. I have been thinking of how to respond all day.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Amtram (06-01-11)
Old 06-01-11, 06:32 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

bof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtram View Post
A lot of this thinking of ending farming animals for meat or work, releasing them into the wild, etc., depends on everyone growing/hunting their own food, and eliminating a lot of products we use daily. Ain't gonna happen. I would certainly like to see animals being raised in more humane conditions, and patronize farms that use these methods as much as possible.

In fact, a lot of the information being fed to us by purveyors of "alternative" medicine, diets, and lifestyles is out of touch with the greater picture, and sometimes willfully deceitful. For example, Gerson therapy for cancer, which qinkin linked to. There is no proof for its efficacy, no reason to assume it would work at all, and the ethics of those who promote it are questionable. If people applied the same level of skepticism/distrust towards these treatments as they often do towards evidence-based medicine, they wouldn't stand up to the questioning.
Agreed. Alternative medicines and diets need to have some scientific backing and be peer reviewed just like the others, otherwise where is the proof? People follow them just for the purpose of belief. Because they believe other ways aren't working, this alternative MUST be better. I'm not talking about this one in particular, because I haven't done extensive research on it. I am one to be a skeptic of traditional routes because I know tradition is ingrained in many ("this is just the way it is" types) and I do not possess the same ideals. But there are way too many takers of alternatives that do not know how to assess the differential effects and see that one idea is not best for all.

You must understand how marketing works as well to understand what is being "fed to you". A car company doesn't sell the masses cars, they sell emotions/feelings - if you buy this car people will look up to you, all your problems will be fixed and you'll be much happier. They're selling ideas and lifestyles and internal and external personas and projecting that image onto their product. How much easier is it when you're just selling the image, and then... oh by the way I've got this product to go along with that, as do the alternative marketers.