ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 06-18-17, 06:42 PM
Contributor

mrh235 is a glorious beacon of lightmrh235 is a glorious beacon of lightmrh235 is a glorious beacon of lightmrh235 is a glorious beacon of lightmrh235 is a glorious beacon of lightmrh235 is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs down ADHD + traumatic experience vs. hypomania.

I've never had spiraling emotions, never been manic or hypomania. Before I got my ADHD under control 6 years ago I was basically just depressed from the way I was treated and struggling with my ADHD. Since having my ADHD under control I've had extremely consistent balanced emotions. I've also been with the same doctor for 6 years so he knows me pretty well even though he's a bit weird.

However, I encountered some pretty terrible circumstances in school about 7 months ago. The professional school I went to was very corrupt and discriminatory against me because I have ADHD and turned the littlest things about me against me. My doctor was astonished too. The last month I was there was absolute hell on earth for me emotionally, and even professors who liked me were so intimidated by admin.

I became very depressed, but unlike the times I was depressed beforehand, I refused to let the depression and anxiety during that time undermine me. I kept pushing forward, I focused on what I can do to get out of and overcome these horrific circumstances, and pushed through. I also refused to let other people's comments and the bullying I encountered for no reason hurt me because I know who I am. I also built myself up from pretty much nothing self-esteemwise since I got my ADHD under control, and have a pretty strong self-esteem now.

I did end up developing PTSD like symptoms temporarily though. Long story short I got out and my life slowly improved and I overcame these obstacles.

My doctor in the last session tried to say that my behavior during that last month I was dealing with that stuff resembled a "mixed episode/hypomania". I asked him his reasoning, and he said stuff about being more goal oriented, having severe trouble sleeping while at the same time being depressed, being more impulsive, and talking fast. He said something about watching for bipolar symptoms in the future [what].

I told him I don't believe that I was hypomanic at all because I was in very stressful circumstances. I became more goal oriented because I was able to since getting my ADHD under control, and that's how I pushed through these circumstances. I had trouble sleeping because I was dealing with serious abuse and my life that I've worked so hard at was falling apart.

I wasn't more impulsive, but I did have to learn to make decisions rapidly, which is something that was always hard for me because of having ADHD. As for talking fast, quite honestly that was the only way I could get a word in edgewise with this horrific school. I had to push push push because everything I said was pretty much ignored in favor of using everything about me and my mental health against me. Also these circumstances did make me anxious.

I asked him if he believed I was bipolar because having a hypomanic episode would say that. He said no. I asked him if he recognized that what would like that is probably just my ADHD mixed with experiencing trauma. He did say ptsd could look like it. I also asked him if there were any other signs that would point to me being bipolar or anything like that. He said no.

I can’t help but be annoyed about this and the more I read about hypomania/mixed episodes the more I see that ADHD can easily be mistaken for them. Especially since he told me this and left it pretty unresolved and I’m not seeing him again till July.

What are your thoughts on this situation? Do you really think any of this would point to hypomania/mixed-episodes? Why is it so common for doctors to mistake ADHD for bipolar disorder? It really grinds my gears. Sorry this is long, I'm just very frustrated and couldn't find a shorter way of writing this. It really seems like he got the idea in his mind that you can't be depressed and exhibit strong non-depressed behavior too. It seems extremely messed up to interpret my behavior as something it just isn't.

Last edited by mrh235; 06-18-17 at 07:00 PM..
Old 06-19-17, 08:40 PM
Contributor

mrh235 is a glorious beacon of lightmrh235 is a glorious beacon of lightmrh235 is a glorious beacon of lightmrh235 is a glorious beacon of lightmrh235 is a glorious beacon of lightmrh235 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ADHD + traumatic experience vs. hypomania.

Update: My doctor just confused a bunch of stuff. It's obvious I didn't match the bill for hypomania. I'm pretty sure he mistook me for another patient. I hate when doctors do this. It's so annoying.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrh235 For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-19-17)