ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 06-18-17, 08:18 PM

Chrissy76 is on a distinguished road
Question Is dexamphetamine same as dextroamphetamine

Hi all,

I'm new here and recently diagnosed with ADD.. I'm in Australia and Doc has put me on dexamphetamine and Prozac. Unfortunately we don't have Australian drug interaction checkers.. so had to use drugs.com to look up these two.. except dexamphetamine isn't listed.. only dextroamphetamine. When I select dextroamphetamine and Prozac there are interactions with theses two.

My question is.. is dextroamphetamine and dexamphetamine really the same thing? The reason I'm asking is coz I spoke to a doc on the phone last night and they said there is no interaction between Prozac and dexamphetamine. From searching online to try and find if they are made of the same thing.. well it's not clear. If dexamphetamine and dextroamphetamine are made of same thing then there will interactions with the two meds I'm on. So confused
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy76 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (06-18-17)
Old 06-18-17, 08:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,790 Times in 4,787 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is dexamphetamine same as dextroamphetamine

Yes, they are the same.

Cheers,
Ian
Chrissy76 (06-18-17), namazu (06-18-17)
Old 06-18-17, 08:48 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 11,738 Times in 5,684 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum!

They are the same thing. The main concern I think is probably with serotonin syndrome. I think it's fairly safe to take both at low to moderate doses. Well, that goes for most anti depressants and stimulants. They both can raise serotonin levels.
Quote:
Category: Prescription Drugs
Generic name: Dextroamphetamine

Dexamphetamine (also spelled dextroamphetamine) is a stimulant that is used for the treatment of narcolepsy and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. It is also used for obesity; depression; and abnormal behavioral syndrome in children.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Chrissy76 (06-18-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-17, 02:19 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,930 Times in 9,007 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

You may sometimes see different manufacturers or distributors using the different spellings in some way that might seem to indicate something. However, there is NO difference in any way.

Regarding interactions, I think someone's been spending too much time with Dr. Google lately. There is always some tiny chance somehow, but in reality there is no interaction between these meds.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 06-24-17, 10:05 AM

ysecretsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Even the word Amphetamine has several acceptable spellings.
My favorite Drug reference is here: https://www.drugbank.ca/
For a detail junky like me its all i could need or want in regards to pharmaceuticals.
Old 06-24-17, 10:24 AM

ysecretsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Fluoxetine The metabolism of Dextroamphetamine can be decreased when combined with Fluoxetine. Approved, Vet Approved
Old 06-24-17, 06:08 PM
Jr Member

CharlesH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysecretsquirrel View Post
Fluoxetine The metabolism of Dextroamphetamine can be decreased when combined with Fluoxetine. Approved, Vet Approved
What? This makes no sense.
Old 06-25-17, 09:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,742 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
You may sometimes see different manufacturers or distributors using the different spellings in some way that might seem to indicate something. However, there is NO difference in any way.

Regarding interactions, I think someone's been spending too much time with Dr. Google lately. There is always some tiny chance somehow, but in reality there is no interaction between these meds.
Dextroamphetamine is the American spelling - dexamphetamine- English/ Australian

There is a possible serotonin syndrome effect if combined with SSRIs and other serotonergic drugs- but that is usually a low risk and the usual approach with these combinations is for the doctor to keep an eye on the patient and adjust the medications as required.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.