ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Convulsants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-18, 03:02 AM

emperorpenguin is on a distinguished road
Lamictal sleepiness

I started on Lamictal 10 days ago, I'm still on 25mg, and I feel like I could nap at almost any time of the day. This happens even when I get halfway-decent sleep, and despite Dexedrine and coffee. I can function OK but there's a novel, persistent drowsiness, like I just want to lie down. It's a little annoying, because I've only been treated for ADHD the last couple of years and I was sure enjoying having sharpness and focus for the first time in my life. That's not gone now, but dampened a little. However, it does seem to be helping to level out my moods, despite some trying times, so I'm not going to abandon it just yet.

I take it at night as instructed. I'm supposed to go up another 25mg every two weeks, landing on either 100 or 200mg I believe.

Does the drowsiness pass? Does it get worse as you up the dose? I might tolerate the level it's at now, provided it works of course. If it gets much worse, though, and I start having trouble meeting my obligations, I might have to talk to my doc about trying something else.
Old 01-26-18, 01:13 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,635 Times in 15,115 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lamictal sleepiness

So this is a new thing as in the last 10 days? Sometimes its a dose thing. You have to start out low and slow with lamictal because of the potential for that awful rash. I have been at 500mg a day taken in 100mg doses 3 in the am/2 in the pm for about 10 years. If I remember I had to sort of get through a brief period of fogginess for about a month while I got used to it.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-26-18, 06:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,381 Times in 13,999 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I felt terribly drowsy with lamotrigine. It did not pass and it got significantly worse with every dose increase.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-18, 10:05 PM

emperorpenguin is on a distinguished road

Circling back, I haven't been on here in ages...

As I shared in another thread, I decided to come off the Lamictal recently. The lethargy/fatigue jumped with every dosage increase, then stabilized, but never subsided. I found it extremely hard to focus or even care about anything. My work performance has suffered and I've struggled to stay on top of parental/personal responsibilities as well. So, whatever benefits it may have given me, I found the side-effects (for me) aren't worth it.

I stepped down from 200mg to 150mg about two weeks ago. My plan is to continue at that pace until/unless I experience any major withdrawal symptoms. From scraping various blogs and forums, experiences run the gamut. Some people report coming off in a couple of weeks and being fine; others can only drop a few mg per month and are still miserable. So far, aside from moderate headaches and occasional nausea, I'm fine. If I start to take a turn for the worse, I'll hold at that dose until I stabilize.

Side-note/disclosure: I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, etc...do not adjust your meds without consulting your physician. Definitely do NOT quit anything cold-turkey unless instructed to!