ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-12, 11:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,370 Times in 13,993 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
"Sadness is just another part of us"

Based on (in the "You know you are NT when.." thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocyan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
When you never wonder what the **** is wrong with you!!
Somehow this really warmed me up inside... because sadness is just another part of us
It's true, isn't it? Sadness, feeling frustrated, dissatisfied, inadequate are all emotions that too many of us just know too well. Too much of our life is spent being miserable. We are in constant conflict with ourselves, constantly trying to be something different to what we are. Constantly, trying harder and harder and constantly failing. How many knocks can you take? How long are you supposed to hold on till you are finally allowed to lose hope? Find myself awake counting sad days: 1, 2, 3, that's too many for me....

I feel like the X-men mutants but without their super powers. On the contrary. I'm a mutant with less powers, less skills. Still I need to live in the same world as everyone else, live up to the same expectations and live with the same desires and hopes.

Mental health disorders are cruel. They don't just impair one part of our life but they affect our thinking, our mind, our very being. I guess, sadness is a part of everyone, including NTs but for too many of us, it's just too large a part. I don't know about others, but for me at times it seems as if it's the only part and there is nothing else. Just this constant, overwhelming, all encompassing sadness.
Old 11-07-12, 11:37 AM

Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,222 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Sadness is just another part of us"

Hang in there Fuzzy. Hopefully the psych will dx you so you can start moving on from being engulfed by this (((hugs)))
Fuzzy12 (11-07-12)
Old 11-07-12, 12:09 PM

Thanked 30,370 Times in 13,993 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Hang in there Fuzzy. Hopefully the psych will dx you so you can start moving on from being engulfed by this (((hugs)))
Today, I'm drowning in it. I've gone from being annoyed for no reason to being sad for no reason. I haven't given up yet. I'm still trying though mainly just because I don't know what else to do. I don't believe anymore that I can get out of this on my own and I also don't have any faith or trust in the psychiatrist. I can't imagine that he or anyone else will help me either. Sorry, I'm just having another pity party. Not just for myself..for all of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (11-07-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-12, 12:19 PM

Thanked 21,936 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Based on (in the "You know you are NT when.." thread):

It's true, isn't it? Sadness, feeling frustrated, dissatisfied, inadequate are all emotions that too many of us just know too well. Too much of our life is spent being miserable. We are in constant conflict with ourselves, constantly trying to be something different to what we are. Constantly, trying harder and harder and constantly failing. How many knocks can you take? How long are you supposed to hold on till you are finally allowed to lose hope? Find myself awake counting sad days: 1, 2, 3, that's too many for me....

I feel like the X-men mutants but without their super powers. On the contrary. I'm a mutant with less powers, less skills. Still I need to live in the same world as everyone else, live up to the same expectations and live with the same desires and hopes.

Mental health disorders are cruel. They don't just impair one part of our life but they affect our thinking, our mind, our very being. I guess, sadness is a part of everyone, including NTs but for too many of us, it's just too large a part. I don't know about others, but for me at times it seems as if it's the only part and there is nothing else. Just this constant, overwhelming, all encompassing sadness.
Fuzzy, you hit on something that is really important, we spend so much of outlived fighting against ourselves. This takes up so much energy there is often little left. You're also right that this is true for all mental health conditions and invisible disabilities. Even. Our struggles are hidden.

It takes a lot of courage to start taking care of yourself and also accepting yourself. Accepting yoir limitations and not fighting against them may in the end make you more productive than all that struggling will.

It seems counter intuitive, because we've internalized that "try harder" message. There has been no permission or encouragement to accept ourselves, accept that our symptoms are real and not just 'in our heads''. There seems to be this huge fear that if we treat ourselves well, we will become self indulgent, and this fear is groundless.

When you start to change the way you see your impairments, when you show them respect by giving them needed rest and respite from constant criticism you give yourself more energy to heal. You give yourself more energy for productivity. What others think needs to become irrelevant, they don't share your experience and letting them drive the bus blind to that experience you will go off the rails while they happily say, look this is where we want to be isn't it so easy?

Acceptance means you drive the bus, you know when you're out of gas and you know when a path needs to be gone around rather than trying to just plow onthru what correct you is a brick wall.

Sometimes the negative critic in our heax needs to just p iss off.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
DvlsAdv0c8 (11-07-12), Fuzzy12 (11-07-12), sarek (11-07-12), stef (11-07-12), tudorose (11-07-12)
Old 11-07-12, 12:46 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,629 Times in 15,110 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Negative thoughts are like walking through a bad neighborhood. You know you're always going ti get jumped.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-07-12)
Old 11-07-12, 01:26 PM

Thanked 27,110 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

just wanted to thank you all for these posts
I am having a very trying day here at work, with being in charge of "logistics" for meetings
so many people kept calling me or telling me things - it got to the point where I just simply could absorb any more information. I just heard the sound of their voice.
this guy from IT was giving me a phone number some people needed for a conf call and I couldn't even write it down.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-07-12), ginniebean (11-07-12), sarek (11-07-12), tudorose (11-07-12)