ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-17-11, 12:14 AM
Jr Member

adrenalinefix36 is on a distinguished road
The best dose???

Hello everyone! I've posted a couple of times in the concerta section and was wondering if I could get some help from all of you awesome folks about Adderall.

So I was on Concerta 36mg for a month and then was moved up to 54mg and didn't really like the way it made me feel. I felt rather stimulated and just not myself.

my doc put my on stattera 40mg and I honestly didn't feel it so whatsoever except for being a little tired but not being able to sleep as well at night

My doc switched my off strattera and put me on Adderall 20mg IR. I tried to learn about Adderall and came to the conclusion that my total dose is correct at 20mg(i think).

Taking half the 20mg after eating a balanced meal, I could slightly feel the Adderall working. It was the non-medicated feeling that I was looking for where I could maintain more focus without being tired and social withdrawn. I had 0 feelings of euphoria, or buzz or anything suggesting the dose was high(which I thought was weird).

-The biggest changes I notice are how I feel like I'm setting and accomplishing goals
-I can smell and hear things I didn't notice before
-I can learn and listen in conversations
-I feel more mature and level headed
-I realize what's important in life
a)happiness
b)being social
c)creativity
d)career aspirations
e)family
...etc

To make a long story short, I was reading about dosages and found that most people take a higher dose than me. On a plane ride I took a 20mg pill in the morning and then another 20mg pill several hours later. Taking this higher dose increased my focus ability to the point where I felt dialed in but I felt emotionally apathetic. I didn't feel like my energetic normal self though and didn't really like the way it made me feel. On this dose I didn't feel any euphoria. I didn't get dry mouth but I did feel a loss of appetite like the other dose. I also slept just fine.

What I'm wondering is, should you feel "more emotionally apathetic and socially withdrawn"? Some people hear take high doses and say that they get energy out of the Adderall which I don't feel. I can't fathom how a person would not feel more social isolation on such a high dose. I also don't get how people feel euphoria and how they feel tired when the dose wears off because I feel happier(for both concerta and adderall). I've never felt euphoric minus the first time I ever took concerta 36 and I reorganized my moms closet lol.

I read that social isolation is due to too much meds so I decided to split my pill into fourths and take them every couple of hours. This way I don't get as tired and I can still focus better. With this method I can function normally in social situations and can take 2 of the 5mg pieces to concentrate during reading and stuff.

Basically I forgot what I just wrote(i'm taking a couple of days off to not get tolerance) but I'm asking if people have ever tried the method of taking low doses in such a flexible way.
Also does the social isolation have to happen for the med to work properly.
And lastly, is does my dose seem somewhat appropriate?

Thanks in advance for any help and if the post was unclear let me know so I can plan it better. My patience is a little low at this point lol
Old 01-17-11, 08:18 AM
Banned

Jester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the roughJester is a jewel in the rough
Re: The best dose???

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalinefix36 View Post
I was reading about dosages and found that most people take a higher dose than me.
I wouldn't take that as a reference. In here it's not a contest of, who takes more is smarter, it's the opposite. If you see someone taking more than you, be happy that you take less. And if someone came here bragging about taking 100mg daily like it was some sort of achievement, he was an idiot and his contribution to the forum has no particular value.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jester For This Useful Post:
adrenalinefix36 (01-17-11), nomannomad (01-17-11)
Old 01-17-11, 11:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

nomannomad has a spectacular aura aboutnomannomad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I wouldn't take that as a reference. In here it's not a contest of, who takes more is smarter, it's the opposite. If you see someone taking more than you, be happy that you take less. And if someone came here bragging about taking 100mg daily like it was some sort of achievement, he was an idiot and his contribution to the forum has no particular value.
I am more of a noob than Jester, but I would have to concur with his assesment.

I was started on 20mg. Within a few weeks I was down to 10mg. And a few weeks after that I went down to 5mg. I get scared when I hear about people taking 50 or 60 mg/day. Perhaps it is the best thing for them, but I am glad that less seems to help me a lot without weird side effects. At 20mg I was withdrawn and slow moving, yet I couldn't sleep. At 5mg, I am more engaged without feeling drugged.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomannomad For This Useful Post:
adrenalinefix36 (01-17-11), Jester (01-18-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-11, 04:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

The most important thing is to: Take the lowest possible dose that helps without getting side effects. This is with all ADHD medications.

I know some people on here take massive doses of their ADHD meds, but I personally respond better to low doses.

I take 5mg of Ritalin 3 times a day and feel "normal", even though it's a small dose.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
adrenalinefix36 (01-17-11), Jester (01-18-11), nomannomad (01-17-11)
Old 01-17-11, 06:26 PM
Jr Member

Thanks so much for all of the comments! As you know it's difficult to adjust to these meds when you're so used to doing things differently for so long.

I have one more question I forgot to ask. Is it normal to get hyper when the meds wear off. I took 10mg of adderall in the morning and felt calm and controlled for 5 or 6 hours and then felt this jolt of happiness and energy 6 hours later. The same thing used to happen when i would take concerta. The difference would be that Adderall would keep me awake and focused while concerta would make me feel quite tired and more negative. I don't really think that I have ADHD but just inattentive but my psychiatrist thought that I did. lol And even if I did have adhd, I didn't think that my hyperness would be so strong as to overcome the tiredness found from the amphetamines wearing off. I guess having all of the symptoms on(except for maybe one of the hyperactivity symptoms) the dsm means that I may have a slightly more strong case of the adult ADD? I'm thinking now that taking the 5mg was so enjoyable because it was like being myself(not feeling the meds). I'm probably going to stick with 10mg in the morning and another 10 when it wears off just to not overdo things and still be myself!

O yea and I just realized that I may be hyper after all because I was always like that as a kid and the only time i'm not hyper is when I'm sad(which happens when I hyperfocus on things and forget to talk to my friends and stuff).

anways... thanks for all of the help though! It's really a great thing that if I'm feeling sorda alone I can come here and feel like part of the family so to speak!
Old 01-19-11, 08:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

nomannomad has a spectacular aura aboutnomannomad has a spectacular aura about

I'm going to try to keep this going, but I hope Jester and StoicNate chime in, they've been around a lot longer than I have. I don't think it is totally normal to get hyper after the meds wear off. People at least aim for a smooth experience with the meds. Part of finding the right dose is minimizing the related ups and downs.

I am not sure what to make of your becoming hyper, though. It could be you need to split up your dose or you might need less (aka the hyper-ness is part of a crash). But I really am not sure and so hope Jester or StoicNate or someone else can offer their perspective.
Old 01-19-11, 05:13 PM
Jr Member

thanks nomannomad. I seems clear that everyone should feel tired when the stim dose wears off but I don't ever feel this way generally(maybe I do and I just don't realize it). Usually, I feel like I have a little less energy but I don't get the crazy downs that some people feel. I also don't get any side effects except for slightly lowered appetite and partial dry mouth. I think the one day was unique in that I was more hyper off the dose but I settled down when I took another 5mg. Perhaps I am hyperactive like my psych suggests.

The only thing I can really say over the course of the last two weeks on Adderall is that it works much better for me than concerta and strattera. Less side effects, no feeling of becoming a zombie, no feeling jittery or euphoric and on edge, but definitely a little more docile,thoughtful and mature. Adderall has worked my better than concerta(54mg) and strattera(40mg was like a water pill). It makes me not have to work out 2 hours every day just to feel better and I don't go through periods where I just run around the house(for example doing pushups, running up and down the stairs, and dancing to techno lol). I can perceive life on a different level consciously and work to get more out of it, rather than just joke around all day and learn nothing(which is sad when I think about it).

I appreciate the bump but will understand if there are no more replies!