ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Anxiety/Benzodiazepines/Beta Blockers
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-07, 05:23 AM
Contributor

jacinta will become famous soon enough
xanax and dex

Has anyone else had the experience of being on xanax and dex at the same time? I feel upset that I was prescribed xanax 2 years ago without being warned it was a benzo and was highly addictive and horrible to get off. But I feel worse about the lack of understanding and support now that I am trying to withdraw. People on benzo forums describe the withdrawal from xanax as insidious. I can relate to that. Where is the support for people who have been legitimately put on xanax and not informed about them and then get addicted.
Old 05-01-07, 05:32 AM
Contributor

jacinta will become famous soon enough
Is there someone out there who can say what the effect of a benzo like xanax would have on someone with ADD if the ADD person was unmedicated. Would it generally have the opposite effect to a tranquiliser and speed a non-medicated ADDer up. Is there a guru out there who can help me understand what the xanax was doing. ADD has been good for focus but then it probably hasnt been as effective as it should have been because of xanax withdrawal symptoms.
Old 09-05-17, 02:59 AM
Jr Member

Jaykay8 is on a distinguished road
Re: xanax and dex

i have been prescribed both of these (not at the same time) and have taken them separately and together. The xanax was for anxiety/panics & the dex for adhd. If i am having a panic attack there is no better drug than xanax. But it slows me down & subsequently makes my adhd symptoms worse. In fact ANYTHING that slows me down makes my adhd worse. The 2 meds i am supposed to be taking together for both disorders are: an antidepressant and dex. =] When i have taken both xanax & dex together it is not a good feeling; one drug is trying to speed me up and the other slow me down. An upper & a downer together (i imagine) is not good for your health.

Last edited by Jaykay8; 09-05-17 at 03:10 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-18, 12:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

When unmedicated for ADHD, I took Xanax, but never, ever on a daily basis. Just when I felt like I really needed it and sometimes at night if I couldn't sleep. I didn't ever want to get addicted to it, so addiction never became a problem. I don't think it helped much with ADHD symptoms except when I'd get nervous along with the other ADHD stuff.
Old 11-11-18, 07:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,581 Times in 15,085 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

xanax was a slippery slope for me. As an alcoholic in recovery, it was early recovery when I took it and it was too much like drinking for me.

I carried a watermelon?