ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you struggle to keep up with all the small things in life?
Yes 13 81.25%
No 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-18, 09:55 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,420 Times in 7,677 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Do you struggle with all the small things in life?

I'm just wondering...
Is this a symptom of ADD? Is this something that is widely experienced by members here?
I really thought that tons of people here struggled with this...but now I'm wondering.

I added a poll.

I'm talking about all the small relatively simple things in life.

Cleaning/organizing your home/space
Bills
Keeping track/making appointments
Hygiene
Shopping
Laundry
Etc...etc...

I'm struggling pretty bad right now in life with all this stuff...and it really adds up.

Any of you guys struggle with this too?

I'm hoping there's a lot of people here who relate lol...I feel so silly for being so behind with these things, and like no one quite gets it and thinks I'm just being lazy or something.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-20-18)
Old 09-15-18, 07:33 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,635 Times in 15,115 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you struggle with all the small things in life?

I think "the small stuff" is sort of like a misnomer or maybe...oxymoron..because to the normies it may be small but how it affects us means its big. I have too much clutter in certain places. I know visually its not good for me. Yet something else always takes priority over cleaning it up. Juggling bills and their multiple due dates is hard. Remembering who has what on which day is hard. Addressing what I like to call "paperwork/phone calls" meaning, stuff that you have to deal with that requires a lot of mental effort and patience are really tough for me. I am dealing with insurance issues for my medication now and I want to pull my hair out. Setting myself up with my notebook and phone to make these calls is something I dread that sometimes I avoid it. I hate my bad coping skill of avoidance. Some small stuff I have managed to learn to cope with. My sleeping routine as you know is rigid. I discovered that my phone calender is useless I need a big wall calender and everything goes there were I can see it. I finally got the memo that doing the dishes and wiping down the counters daily was easier than letting it pile up. But I still have laundry exploding everywhere and overflowing baskets. I thinks its all relative and subjective. When I need to address stuff on the phone and actually do it, I am awesome and get stuff done. I am not so awful with grocery shopping anymore but like I said we all have our days. Dont be hard on yourself psycho.. you know I always tell you to put down that bat.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-15-18), Rebelyell (09-20-18), ToneTone (09-20-18)
Old 09-15-18, 08:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,106 Times in 2,226 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I voted no because when I thought about it all the things I'm not coping with are big things. The small things I just do my best and if they don't get done then the sun still comes up tomorrow. Sure there are times I don't put stuff away for ages. I haven't exercised in months but I try to focus on doing what I can do amd have achieved. Like I cooked dinner every night for a week kind of thing (yeah that's an achievement). Try not to overthink it. Try not to think it all - just do
psychopathetic (09-20-18), Rebelyell (09-20-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-18, 11:21 PM

Thanked 10,966 Times in 5,888 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

This is a full time job this list
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-18-18)
Old 09-19-18, 10:28 AM
Contributor

Goofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to allGoofycook is a name known to all

Before I knew that there was such thing as adult ADD I wondered what was wrong with mme. How everyone managed the the everyday things which such effortless efficiency amazed me. Come to find out there are other people like me. At one time I felt like total freak.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goofycook For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-20-18), psychopathetic (09-19-18), Rebelyell (09-19-18), SashaBV (09-19-18), stef (09-21-18)
Old 09-19-18, 05:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Some small things, yes, some large things. I kind of always knew I was different, couldn't talk about that when I was young. Felt inferior sometimes. It was a long, long time until I even heard about ADHD, and then it was all about hyperactive children at first. I didn't suspect...until my fifties. I was smart enough, even compensated somewhat for my symptoms without even knowing why it helped. I was lucky that I could read...liked to read! Curious minds...and as long as the subject interested me, I learned, but struggled more than most even so.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-19-18)
Old 09-20-18, 05:10 PM

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

These tasks are fundamental to living ... they are hardly "small things."

They are all big ... huge! ... OMG, my dental problems right now ... because of poor hygiene (and bad genetics) when growing up ... Huge! ... demoralizing, bankrupting ...

I'm not sure why you think these are small matters.

Just an example: try keeping a job ... let alone advancing on a job ... if you can't make appointments on time ... try keeping friendships if you can't make appointments on time ...

These are all huge challenges for people with ADHD? Did you think these were only challenges for you? I mean keeping my living space in anything other than typhoon condition ... takes enormous effort on my part.

And struggling with any of these tasks ... creates additional problems ... I don't want people to visit me if my living space is a mess ... I then avoid people because I don't want to have to avoid inviting them to visit me ... Esteem and confidence take huge hits when we don't do these tasks reasonably well ...

These are huge and major problems and challenges--not minor. That's the whole point of ADHD--is these tasks ... if not attended to ... can undermine the quality of our lives.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
lisariver (09-25-18), psychopathetic (09-20-18), stef (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 06:10 PM

psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Meh...I guess it's because I have some people active in my life who I feel think these things are simple things that I just need to get on top of. That I'm being ridiculous by not.

I guess 'small' wasn't the right term. But I figured people would get what I was trying to say.
I didn't expect people to get so caught up on the term.

I'm not sure what else to call these things...I'm sure there's a really obvious term that captures what I'm trying to say...I'm just not coming up with it atm.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 09-20-18, 06:14 PM

Thanked 30,381 Times in 13,999 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and it's the small things that cause considerable stress too mainly because they are so numerous and besides I get upset that I can't even deal with these tiny things or that I feel so bad and frustrated about something so small.

I can't deal with bills or finances or accounts. I'm not sure why and it makes me feel like an infant ... Or someone very lazy.i just don't understand them at all. The only I can do with money is spend it (though thankfully I don't spend crazy amounts maybe because I'm so indecisive).

Ditto at most of the other things. I hate to admit it but it's a real effort every evening brushing my teeth and washing my face. Today I have again decided to not do them.

I don't make any appointments if I can avoid it and thankfully I get any reminders for most clinical appointments. I absolutely suck at making appointments. I haven't been to the dentist for 3 years.

I used to be ok with grocery shopping but now mostly hubby orders everything online. Currently, I've got a laundry bag of clean clothes, a laundry baskets of dirty ckothea and aaunxrybasket that's piled to twice its height with dirty clothes. And there are clothes hanging on clothes stand in the dining room, which have been dry for days but I just can't keep up with putting them back into the wardrobe.

So yeah, I hear you.

Last edited by Fuzzy12; 09-20-18 at 06:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
Did you think these were only challenges for you?
No, not really. At least I really hoped not.
I just want to take comfort in knowing I'm not alone in my struggles with this. I'm sick of feeling like an imbecile for struggling with this stuff, and I'm sick of getting attitude from people in my current life about it.

I just want people to relate with. I'm feeling rather vulnerable in life atm...I feel stronger when I know I'm not just being dumb or lazy or whatever.
I don't like that others struggle...but at the same time, it does feel good that I'm not the only one.

So I guess my question might be ridiculous...like how dumb can I be for thinking these are struggles that only I have.

Meh.

p.s.
Damn I'm a grump today.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Old 09-20-18, 06:22 PM

Thanked 34,110 Times in 15,441 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i struggle with a lot of these, though i don't know if it's the adhd or my other mental illnesses that cause the struggle...

i work with an occupational therapist weekly on trying to keep my overall life together, maintain hygiene, etc. have you sought that sort of help?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-20-18), Rebelyell (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 06:33 PM

Thanked 30,381 Times in 13,999 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

And then you know there are people saying that if I just make this tiny little change things will.improve and surely I can do this because it's so tiny and barely takes half a minute and I just freaking can't but you can't really say that because people will think that either you just don't want to change (and what if that's true???) or that you are an idiot (which might be true as well).

Sorry, I'm just ranting but these daily annoyances and frustrations really add up to drain all your energy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-18, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
And then you know there are people saying that if I just make this tiny little change things will.improve and surely I can do this because it's so tiny and barely takes half a minute and I just freaking can't but you can't really say that because people will think that either you just don't want to change (and what if that's true???) or that you are an idiot (which might be true as well).
Exactly this

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-21-18)
Old 09-20-18, 10:04 PM

Thanked 10,966 Times in 5,888 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I get very overwhelmed w too many tasks bills etc..I don't know how people work all day cook clean get their kids situated etc but I can't do it all..I feel like I'm not doing w a full deck like I got half the good cards taken out on me..I can't seem to get help or get it together :-( been trying to let stuff go n if it don't get done oh well there's always tommorow. Mentality
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
lisariver (09-25-18), psychopathetic (09-20-18)
Old 09-20-18, 10:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

"Tomorrow I'll think of some way...after all, tomorrow is another day." Scarlett O'Hara in the movie in the novel and movie. "Hope springs eternal." is another one, can't remember who said that. I sometimes write little notes for myself or lists of what I want myself to do. Because I failed to do them during the day that's ending.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post: