ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 08-09-18, 05:07 PM

mets91428 is on a distinguished road
Concerta.

Hello everyone. I'll try to make this short and brief since I have to go out.

I'm having a weird reaction to Concerta at 54 mg. It's only day 2, but it's like there's no effect at all. In the morning, for about an hour or so I'll feel sedated, almost stupefied, and then the rest of the day it's like I took nothing. I also noticed how my eyes will constrict for a short period of time in the morning, which is what opiate users experience.

Here's where it gets weirder. This is a stark contrast to how I felt at 36mg of Concerta. For one, I felt way more stimulated, many more side effects. I had the fast pounding heartbeat, blurry vision, and irritability. On top of that, I noticed how I went from slowed thinking, to, I guess I'll say a faster type of thinking. It was like my body was trying to figure out what I put into it-- moving too slow and then too fast.

After about a week and a half, while I was driving on the highway around 2:00 PM....... Boom! It hit me. I felt this..... this sense of alertness and focused concentration I never experienced before, not even when I was on Ritalin during my Middle School days. The next day I had that type of focus and then ever since then: Nothing. It was like the medication just stopped working.

It's so frustrating right now, to have that type of calm only for it to be taken away. I won't get into detail about my ADHD, how much it destroyed my life over the years. I talked about it before with other people. My question is this: Should I ask my doctor for 72MG of Concerta when I see her in two weeks, or try a different med? I tried Adderall already. No, just no. That's all I'll say about it.

Thanks, hope to hear back from someone.
Old 08-09-18, 07:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,548 Times in 853 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Concerta.

I was on Concerta but did not have these experiences. I'm not sure it worked that well for the ADHD actually. I did lose weight from having such a suppressed appetite which I needed to do. I got off of it do to the horrible, odd feeling depression it induced. I already had major depressive disorder and taking meds for it.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 08-09-18, 10:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,585 Times in 11,923 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

It may be possible you got your new script for a higher dose from a different
manufacturer.

Many people have reported that stimulants from different manufacturers can
work very differently.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (08-10-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-18, 08:13 AM

mets91428 is on a distinguished road

I heard of that, different manufacturers yield different type of experiences. I know for sure the 36mg and 54mg were made from the same one. Now that I know what focus and concentration is, it'd be nice to sustain it.

My best guess is that my body is used to methylphenidate, but 54mg isn't enough either.