ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-18, 07:58 AM
Contributor

Swissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of light
Jury duty?

Do you disclose your ADD dx when youíre screened for jury duty? I went one other time the day before my dx and they question you in a room full of people, so itís not like you can tell anyone privately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-12-18)
Old 08-12-18, 08:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,209 Times in 11,358 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jury duty?

I didn't but wish I had. It was the LONGEST week of my life but the outcome was extremely satisfying.

BORING.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-12-18)
Old 08-12-18, 09:03 AM
Contributor

Swissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of lightSwissy is a glorious beacon of light

I couldn’t even pay attention to the summary process ��
namazu (08-12-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-18, 09:35 AM

Thanked 21,209 Times in 11,358 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
I couldnít even pay attention to the summary process ��
I just sat there and stared vacantly and excused myself to the bathroom, ALOT!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-12-18)
Old 08-12-18, 09:37 AM

Thanked 25,585 Times in 11,923 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I have only been summoned for jury duty once, and I'm 67.

I had to get a doctor's note because being around perfume or other scents
is very bad for me. I get an allergic reaction that plays havoc with my blood
pressure.

I suspect everyone finds parts of the process boring.

I'd have had the most problem being closed in a room with 11 other people
who were arguing.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-12-18)
Old 08-12-18, 04:11 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,196 Times in 10,120 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

I've been summoned about 4-5 times in the past 15 years. I did not disclose my ADHD. However, it is sometimes possible (even when in the room full of people) to ask to talk to the judge/attorneys privately if you need to do so. There was another member of the jury pool who did so one of the times I was called in.

The sitting around and waiting was painful at times -- though in my current county courthouse, they at least have wi-fi in the waiting room! -- but the people-watching was sometimes good, and I found the voir dire process interesting.

I was only once empaneled (as an alternate), but the case was settled on the second day, before any evidence had been presented.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-12-18)
Old 08-12-18, 04:44 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,638 Times in 7,049 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you disclose your ADD dx when you’re screened for jury duty? I went one other time the day before my dx and they question you in a room full of people, so it’s not like you can tell anyone privately.
You don’t have to disclose any of your health issues unless perhaps you are specifically asked by judge or attorney. The only reason they would possibly ask about ADHD would be if it pertained to the case and they are questioning whether you could be impartial or not.

Had jury duty several times and they never asked any health questions. If the case has nothing to do with ADHD then there should be no need to mention it or to worry.

Very unlikely, it will need to come up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-12-18)
Old 08-12-18, 05:45 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,196 Times in 10,120 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
You donít have to disclose any of your health issues unless perhaps you are specifically asked by judge or attorney. The only reason they would possibly ask about ADHD would be if it pertained to the case and they are questioning whether you could be impartial or not.

Had jury duty several times and they never asked any health questions. If the case has nothing to do with ADHD then there should be no need to mention it or to worry.

Very unlikely, it will need to come up.
Oh, I thought the issue was maybe difficulty sitting through the proceedings and wondering if they could be accommodated or excused.

Swissy, what was the concern?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-12-18), Lunacie (08-13-18)
Old 08-12-18, 08:36 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,638 Times in 7,049 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Oh, I thought the issue was maybe difficulty sitting through the proceedings and wondering if they could be accommodated or excused.

Swissy, what was the concern?
It sounded like a privacy/embarrassment issue to me. Maybe, Swissy will shed some light.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-12-18)
Old 08-13-18, 07:30 AM
Contributor

Privacy issue. And wasn’t sure if I had to disclose in front of everyone. Thanks everyone .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swissy For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-13-18), namazu (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 09:54 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,203 Times in 5,347 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

I live in an area where I get called almost every year like clockwork. The way the question is phrased on the form, personally, I would only disclose if my attention issues were so severe that I felt I could not serve. I’m not sure where the process goes from there, but that’s one way to Exempt oneself from serving.

I’ve found the process itself interesting enough that it holds my attention just fine. Unfortunately, the defense rarely likes me as a potential juror. I have been in the courtroom three or four times, and have never been empaneled.a

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski

Last edited by TygerSan; 08-13-18 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: New phone dictation sucks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-13-18), Swissy (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 10:06 AM
Contributor

I don’t think my ADD would impair my ability to serve. Just wasn’t sure if it was the type of thing that would cause issues if it came out after the fact. I loath jury duty, but i’m not using this to get out of it, lol.
namazu (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 01:35 PM

Thanked 25,585 Times in 11,923 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Privacy issue. And wasnít sure if I had to disclose in front of everyone. Thanks everyone .
I believe you can write a note and ask the baliff to give it to the judge if you
think the adhd means you can't be impartial, or can't pay attention.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-13-18)