ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-18, 11:45 AM

jd3790 is on a distinguished road
Driving worry.

Hello everyone.
New here!
I recently was diagnose with adhd at 29 years old but feel like i have suffered from symptoms all my life. My psychiatrist actually went very deep into my childhood with my parents and report cards to determine that it did go undiagnosed as a child. Adhd never made me unsuccessful but deff made my day to day life harder. Growing up i always found it hard to focus on things that didnt play any kind of huge interest in my brain but i attribute that to why i was successful in my career path. I always felt the need for a stimulating exciting occupation. At 18 i joined the military, served one tour in afghanistan and then went on to become a professional firefighter, which i have been doing for 5 years and i absolutely love my job. I love the excitement the comradery and more than anything I love helping people. It was very challenging to get through certain things that i can now see was due to adhd and after being on concerta for 2 months my life has changed drastically. I now feel like i am able to sort so many of my thoughts out and am able to be so so so much more productive and overall less stress, less anxiety and feel like my life is just much more clear.

I am 100 percent certain that the medication so far has drastically improved my cognitive functioning and my focus in everyday life. my question to anyone out there who has been diagnosed with adhd and takes medication, if they have ever ran into any problems being a commercial driver or having problems renewing a license due to stimulant medication. Being a firefighter driving an emergency vehicle I have always treated it with the utmost respect but now feel worried that due to seeking out help with a condition that i was born with it may jeopardize my license and my livelihood.
Old 11-16-18, 09:14 AM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road
Re: Driving worry.

Have you ever checked the paper inside your medicine? Is there a note that state that itr recommend not to operate a vehicle or machine? If not there shouldnt be any issues afaik
Old 11-16-18, 09:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,632 Times in 15,113 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving worry.

I would somehow check with your employer about if you can have prescribed controlled substances with a doctor's note. Personally adhd people do better when focused and are better drivers medicated, I know that I am.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links