ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-18, 01:02 PM

warmbrew_991 is on a distinguished road
How to switch medications? (UK)

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on 18mg Concerta and it's been working really well until recently where I've been getting increased anxiety and tiredness after taking it. I got tired in the first couple weeks but now it seems to be back after a few months. I'm hesitant to increase the dose because I tried 36mg and it was way too speedy for me.

I've been reading about Elvanse and it has really positive reviews but I'm concerned the NHS psychiatrist will dismiss me and either increase the dose of Concerta anyway, or want to take me off it because of the negative side effects. I don't want dexedrine because it's instant release and I prefer to have one pill in the morning.

How should I word this to my psychiatrist? Because he's NHS I'm worried he might be concerned about the cost of Elvanse etc.
Old 11-18-18, 01:28 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,632 Times in 15,113 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to switch medications? (UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmbrew_991 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm currently on 18mg Concerta and it's been working really well until recently where I've been getting increased anxiety and tiredness after taking it. I got tired in the first couple weeks but now it seems to be back after a few months. I'm hesitant to increase the dose because I tried 36mg and it was way too speedy for me.

I've been reading about Elvanse and it has really positive reviews but I'm concerned the NHS psychiatrist will dismiss me and either increase the dose of Concerta anyway, or want to take me off it because of the negative side effects. I don't want dexedrine because it's instant release and I prefer to have one pill in the morning.

How should I word this to my psychiatrist? Because he's NHS I'm worried he might be concerned about the cost of Elvanse etc.
I do not know what the best option is. I think that it seems like the methylphenidate class of drugs doesnt agree with you. I do know that elevanse I believe is like the US version of Vyvanse and it takes longer to become active and some people report issues with it. Would you be able to use alarms and reminders on your phone if you were to consider dexedrine? I know friends of mine who have gone private have has access to it, not sure how the NHS system works.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
warmbrew_991 (11-25-18)
Old 11-18-18, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I do not know what the best option is. I think that it seems like the methylphenidate class of drugs doesnt agree with you. I do know that elevanse I believe is like the US version of Vyvanse and it takes longer to become active and some people report issues with it. Would you be able to use alarms and reminders on your phone if you were to consider dexedrine? I know friends of mine who have gone private have has access to it, not sure how the NHS system works.
Elvanse was made available recently in the UK for the NHS but it's not the medication of choice as it goes Ritalin>Dexedrine>Strattera. I've tried Strattera so that only leaves dexedrine.

I guess I'd settle for dexedrine if I had to, I'm more worried that he'll want to take me off stimulants completely though if I mention it
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-18, 01:57 PM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

When I was first diagnosed just under a year ago, as an adult, by the NHS, I was only told there were 2 meds she would consider at first. That's Lisdexamphetamine (Elvanse) and Straterra. Ritalin etc was never suggested. So hopefully there won't be any problems for you to raise the subject. As to cost, it has been approved for use so that shouldn't be a problem.

From what I'm aware, with the NHS, where cost is concerned, they think about how it will improve or extend your life. If you have terminal cancer and a drug costs thousands and only extends your life by a few months, then they won't approve the drug. You see what I'm saying, a worthwhile adhd drug that can improve someones life won't be a problem and that's probably why they will prescribe it for you (hopefully)
The Following User Says Thank You to Alphawave For This Useful Post:
warmbrew_991 (11-25-18)
Old 11-18-18, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphawave View Post
When I was first diagnosed just under a year ago, as an adult, by the NHS, I was only told there were 2 meds she would consider at first. That's Lisdexamphetamine (Elvanse) and Straterra. Ritalin etc was never suggested. So hopefully there won't be any problems for you to raise the subject. As to cost, it has been approved for use so that shouldn't be a problem.

From what I'm aware, with the NHS, where cost is concerned, they think about how it will improve or extend your life. If you have terminal cancer and a drug costs thousands and only extends your life by a few months, then they won't approve the drug. You see what I'm saying, a worthwhile adhd drug that can improve someones life won't be a problem and that's probably why they will prescribe it for you (hopefully)
It's interesting how the first choice of medication differs by region, in the West Midlands area the psychiatrist starts everyone on Strattera.
Old 11-19-18, 04:34 AM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road

Ive never had strattera but also must start with ritalin. Then i moved to elvanse, now im on modafinil cause the trivial medication doesnt work for me. It really depends somehow on your doc, mine was open mind to try anything to get me cured, i was the one suggesting modafinil and hes surprised by my feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vrantic For This Useful Post:
warmbrew_991 (11-25-18)
Old 11-21-18, 07:16 AM

UPDATE:

slept through 10 alarms and missed my psychiatrist appointment. next one could be in 2019.

**** my life
Old 11-25-18, 08:17 AM

Quote:
UPDATE:

slept through 10 alarms and missed my psychiatrist appointment. next one could be in 2019.

**** my life
UPDATE 2: Got emergency appointment and prescribed Elvanse, it's great and I prefer it to the Concerta
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warmbrew_991 For This Useful Post:
Alphawave (11-25-18), Greyhound1 (11-25-18)
Old 11-25-18, 10:42 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,331 Times in 7,385 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't want dexedrine because it's instant release and I prefer to have one pill in the morning.
Hi warmbrew, I’m glad to hear Elvanse is working well! I just wanted to mention that Dexedrine is only available in an extended release form. Dexedrine is the brand name and they used to make both IR and ER. The generic is dextroamphetamine and it’s available in both IR and ER versions.

Just wanted to mention that you do have Dexedrine or it’s generic as an option for extended release. Hopefully, it’s not necessary and Elvanse does a good job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
warmbrew_991 (11-25-18)