ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-18, 05:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,943 Times in 706 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: things you can do before the end of this year to improve your life

@acdc - I would give you some ideas for your dad.

You could combine the mental and the physical part. Perhaps your dad will like to take walks with audiobooks on.

You just put a lot of audiobooks on a phone or mp3 player, books about topics that he is interested in (fiction or non-fiction). Podcasts are another option, there's so many nowadays. I find it a delight to listen to them, it makes my commute so much more enjoyable.

Hope that helps. Take care!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (12-31-18)
Old 12-02-18, 07:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,322 Times in 6,032 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I plan on seeing Siberian orchestra before year ends been wanting to see their Xmas show for years.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (01-01-19), Lunacie (12-02-18), tudorose (12-03-18)
Old 12-31-18, 03:01 PM

Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,118 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksper View Post
@acdc - I would give you some ideas for your dad.

You could combine the mental and the physical part. Perhaps your dad will like to take walks with audiobooks on.

You just put a lot of audiobooks on a phone or mp3 player, books about topics that he is interested in (fiction or non-fiction). Podcasts are another option, there's so many nowadays. I find it a delight to listen to them, it makes my commute so much more enjoyable.

Hope that helps. Take care!
That is a really good idea. Thank you. I keep asking my dad what he's interested in and he keeps telling me nothing but I'm still going to try to find something cause he really needs something.

I just downloaded some music and will for sure put that on his phone. He does like music and it should do a little for his mind and make walking less boring anyway. Maybe I can convince him to learn an instrument though I did try and fail before. He can borrow my guitar. He likes music, he just doesn't like to take the effort to learn anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (12-31-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-18, 03:12 PM

Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,118 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

It's the end of the year now. I'm curious, how did you guys do on the list of things you said you'd try to do before the end of the year?

Of the 4 things I've listed here, I did one lol. That's the steady exercise routine for me. VR makes everything easier.

You can say I've done a little on "get my dad on some exercise and brain stimulation routine". But I really haven't had success. Dad's turned down everything so far besides when I do something with him that involves exercise one day a week (which just makes me mad cause he's got to learn to do things on his own without me too). The free college classes are unfortunately not available outside his work hours so he can't take them. Senior centers are outside his hours too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Get myself back on a steady exercise routine. Injuries had thrown me off.

Get my profile on a dating app.

Finish my dad's kitchen flooring.

Get my dad on some exercise and brain stimulation routine. His cognitive impairment is getting much worse and I really want to slow it down to delay me having to take care of him too more. Even if we put him in a home, it's still a lot to care for someone with dementia.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (12-31-18)
Old 12-31-18, 08:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

@acdc - He may like Hardcore History by Dan Carlin. Great podcast, and many dozens of hours of fun (that is, if you only listen once - I like to re-listen such good podcasts). It's not a boring history lesson, but very well thought through and told, about topics/stories that are actually interesting and made relevant.

Listening to music is a good idea, also great for walking!

As for learning music, playing the guitar is a awesome, he can get a lot of enjoyment from that. I thought my brother his first lessons, and from there he continued learning himself. That was very nice

Will reply to your other post tomorrow. It's 1:36 right now, I need to go to bed!
Old 01-01-19, 04:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

- quit smoking DONE
- quit drinking not important anymore - I don't drink a lot anyway
- do online learning every day in progress
- read every day in progress
- track what I need to track (hours/expenses for work, food/sleep/training for sports, personal finances) in progress
- exercise every day in progress
- do a social exercise every day (I want to improve my social skills) DONE
- meditate every day in progress
- sleep silently (without a podcast - or with devices near my bed in general) in progress
- reduce my spending in progress
- do something fun and relaxing every day DONE
- beautify my home (on the cheap) DONE
- do the last remaining 'old' chores (so that I am not behind with anything) DONE
- keep a journal and use a to-do app starting today
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-15-19), Daniel1970 (01-15-19), Lunacie (01-01-19), namazu (01-15-19)
Old 01-15-19, 05:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

Some cool things I've learned about getting things done, for the new year:

1. Really only focus on one thing at a time. Humans can't really multi-task. So if you want to have success, let's say, in your social life, first devote yourself single-mindedly to getting in top physical shape. THEN get a dating coach, or whatever. That's just a weird example that came to mind. I'm sure everyone can think of a better one for their situation.

2. I'm learning all about the "Agile" methodology at work. Basically you have a huge backlog of things you need to get done on a project, and keep adding new items to it as it becomes clearer what needs to be done. And you prioritize the most important tasks to the top of the list. Then you have short 2-week "sprints" where you pick just a few tasks off the top of the master list and get those completely done. You soon learn just how much you can actually get done in 2 weeks. And I mean completely done, not "kind of" done.

I hope y'all are able to apply these ideas to your own goal-setting in 2019. I've noticed that people with ADHD especially struggle in this area, based on my own life and what I see in your posts. We ADHD'ers seem to definitely try to take on WAY too much at one time. I don't know if that has to do with how we perceive time, or with how disorganized our brains and lives can be. We tend to have a lot of interests, and a lack of focus, and it leads to huge lists of things we want to do. Unfortunately, time is linear, and it takes single-minded focus to get anything done in life!

All the best!
Daniel

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel1970 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-16-19)
Old 01-15-19, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksper View Post
- quit smoking DONE
- quit drinking not important anymore - I don't drink a lot anyway
- do online learning every day in progress
- read every day in progress
- track what I need to track (hours/expenses for work, food/sleep/training for sports, personal finances) in progress
- exercise every day in progress
- do a social exercise every day (I want to improve my social skills) DONE
- meditate every day in progress
- sleep silently (without a podcast - or with devices near my bed in general) in progress
- reduce my spending in progress
- do something fun and relaxing every day DONE
- beautify my home (on the cheap) DONE
- do the last remaining 'old' chores (so that I am not behind with anything) DONE
- keep a journal and use a to-do app starting today
Awesome progress, Jacksper!

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.