ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-18, 06:14 AM

shadowrift is on a distinguished road
Do you have dreams and plans for the future?

Like the titile says I am curious if you have dreams for your future. Can be big things or small things as well,
for example do you dream or plan about moving to your dream house?
Or do you dream about having kids one day
or smaller things like a vacation
a different job or study
a new hobby

I find I have none of this myself in stark contrast to my partner who often want to travel and seem to have a fix idea that the future can't be the same as now.

I think that even if I want something long term for my future I can't hold it in my mind for more than 2 minute than I forget about until somebody remind me and if that is not the case I most likley never think about it again.
Also I have a logical side to it as well, like

"there is no use thinking about it now since I don't know if I can do it or not or what the future looks like. Better save the energy for when the time actually comes."
or
"I have an idea and the concept of planning doesn't exist and I know if I wait nothing will happen or change in me so I just do it right then and there"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowrift For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-17-18), namazu (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 03:38 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,769 Times in 10,448 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you have dreams and plans for the future?

I definitely have plans for the future (and always have, even if they were somewhat vague and have changed).

I am not so good at doing the little things, the logistical things, that will help me get there, though. My concept of time is terrible, so "the future" often seems like it arrives suddenly out of nowhere, and what I'd planned is...still in the planning stages. Time slips away from me.

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans..." - John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-18-18), Little Missy (11-17-18), Rebelyell (11-17-18), stef (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 08:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,222 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the process of executing a future plan. Trying to sell the current house and build another. It's stressful. We put it off for years because all we have done all year is work work work.

Once it's all done I plan to reclaim the health and fitness that I lost over the last year.

Change is a hard process but sometimes being stuck in the same place is worse.
namazu (11-17-18), stef (11-17-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-18, 09:25 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,331 Times in 7,385 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have many dreams of the future but no plans on how to make them happen. I know, I should or they most likely won’t happen. Creating a plan for the future and sticking to it is a dream of mine.

Staying motivated is the biggest problem. My idea of a good plan today may and most likely will seem like total rubbish the following day. A bad idea even sometimes. The importance level in my mind and motivation for following a plan seems to fade so much within 24 hrs.

My brain is very good at derailing the importance of future plans for dreams. Much better at worrying about tomorrow or yesterday.

All, I want to be is happy in life. I think, I need to figure that out first before I can follow through on any future dreams. I’m not depressed but I’m not living life. I feel like a slug. I need to find a therapist! Can’t seem to plan that either.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-18-18), namazu (11-17-18), Rebelyell (12-02-18), stef (11-18-18)
Old 11-18-18, 06:51 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,926 Times in 699 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

My dreams:
- do a Master in a field I like, to open the doors to a new career (currently thinking about psychology)
- start and build my own company
- get out of debt and have some actual savings
- have routine in my days
- become confident
- win a triathlon
- just be happy and get the most out of every day
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-18-18)
Old 11-18-18, 12:58 PM

warmbrew_991 is on a distinguished road

No. The future is very foggy for me, although I'm studying, my goals and aspirations change on a daily basis, one day I want to do one thing and the next day I want to do something else. Which is very annoying because I'm finishing my degree soon and people keep asking me what I plan to do - it's not that I'm going to work at McDonald's and my degree is worthless, I just can't choose from the 10000 options in my head.

Apart from work wise, in the future (no specific time frame maybe when I'm 30 or when I'm 50) I want to go back to University and get a degree in something science related like Chemistry or Medicine purely because I'm interested in it.

I haven't decided if I want kids or if I want to get married, but I can see myself having children in the future.

I'd also like a career that I enjoy, and when I have enough money I'd like to get back into athletics.
The Following User Says Thank You to warmbrew_991 For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-18-18)
Old 11-18-18, 02:10 PM

Thanked 1,575 Times in 870 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

It is interesting that you ask this right now and I stumble upon it. I've been struggling with this concept for awhile and wrote about it here a few months ago but more in the vein of time blindness as in, where did the time go and the things that I wanted to do or at least have considered them. It's like the future is not seen by me as it is seen by others.

Quote:
"there is no use thinking about it now since I don't know if I can do it or not or what the future looks like. Better save the energy for when the time actually comes."
I so get what you are saying here. I don't know what will be happening so it doesn't make sense to plan too far ahead. I wonder if I will have a job then since I feel like I'm always teetering on the edge of getting fired in the field I am in right now. I am jealous of people who have the confidence to make plans a year or more away.

When I was in junior high, I knew that I wanted to be a teacher so I became one as that was very, very clear. So in that area I was solid in what I wanted my future to look like.

In the areas of marriage and children in my future, I never had dreams of marriage growing up and have felt for most of my life that I will not marry. I couldn't really understand why this was but several years ago a counselor suggested that perhaps it was because I didn't have a good model in my parents and I think that's it. I guess that is future thinking, but it wasn't/isn't a future plan that I made and was following through.

I had thoughts I having kids here and there but when I had the opportunity to have one many years ago, I opted not to. Out of the three choices, me being a mother was a big definite "NO." Yet, when I was in my late 20's and in my 30's I remember saying a few times that I wanted kids but no husband.

The bottom line right now is that I'm sorry that I didn't marry when I was younger and have kids and in that order. There are reasons for not and I'm realizing that it was due to very unwise decisions made in a number of areas.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-18-18)
Old 11-19-18, 04:36 AM

Vrantic is on a distinguished road

Well for my part i dont have. I feel like being restricted by having a clear "dream". Instead having goals is the right way to go for me. Dreaming is what i'm doing to escape reality and is important for a mans psyche when it comes down to my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vrantic For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-19-18)
Old 12-02-18, 05:38 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,926 Times in 699 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

an update on my dreams..

I still dream of doing a Master, or two, and I dream of starting my own company. I dream of having a stable and loving relationship with someone. I dream of winning a triathlon.

Lots of dreams, probably can't do them all, and I don't feel I have to. My biggest dream is just to be content with my life, to have stability on the one hand, and interesting challenges on the other. To quote a cliche, it's not the destination that matters, but the journey.

I will just take little steps towards my big dreams, and I won't care to much about the outcome (whether or not I will realize them 100%), but I will focus on consistent little steps (while letting myself be free to change course if I would like to), and enjoying the ride.

This means, I will slowly build my exercise routine, I will read more and take some online courses (as well as my first online university course which I will need for a Master), I have made an online dating profile and will see if I can have a few dates per month (not putting too much expectation in them, I will just try to relax and hopefully meet interesting people) and finally I will start my own business on Januari 2 and I will just take little steps there as well, only doing small voluntary projects that I like (I already have a well paying job so I don't need to overwork myself).
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
stef (12-02-18)
Old 12-02-18, 07:16 PM

Thanked 10,946 Times in 5,878 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I'd be married but that seems to have gotten skewed for now...lost my best friend in october.i don't need a lover I just need to find some decent.honest friends I can physically do things with right now so I'm not alone n isolating which leads me to bad things n makes my depression worse.
Old 12-04-18, 01:19 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Get out of debt. Pay for a house with cash by 45.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 12-11-18, 08:48 PM

Drogheda98 is on a distinguished road

moderate goals (1-3 years)
finish my associates and possibly get my bach or masters in economics.
get a certification in app programming for ABAP.
get a part time job while going to college.
rent an apartment or house

long term/life goals
travel, a lot.
get married
possibly start my own business
be one of those fit as anything dudes when I'm like 80, so working out a lot

short term.
reconnect more with friends.
do the process over and over again.
Master calendar usage and time management!