ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-18, 11:23 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,926 Times in 699 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
things you can do before the end of this year to improve your life

or even right now

The reason I bring this up is because we have been discussing dreams in a few threads, and I have been doing some dreaming and big thinking for a while now, but now it's time to land back on earth (at least for me) and see what we can do.

- quit smoking
- quit drinking
- do online learning every day
- read every day
- track what I need to track (hours/expenses for work, food/sleep/training for sports, personal finances)
- exercise every day
- do a social exercise every day (I want to improve my social skills)
- meditate every day
- sleep silently (without a podcast - or with devices near my bed in general)
- reduce my spending
- do something fun and relaxing every day
- beautify my home (on the cheap)
- do the last remaining 'old' chores (so that I am not behind with anything)
- keep a journal and use a to-do app

those are some of the most important things. I think if I do this, then I will see a lot of improvement in my life. a lot of the big dreams that I have are only possible if I have a proper foundation in my life and if I approach them with little steps, and I think the list above helps me do that.

what do you want to change now, or before the end of this year?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-19-18), DanielGM1970 (11-21-18), Fuzzy12 (11-19-18), kwalk (11-20-18), namazu (11-19-18), TheDreamer (11-28-18)
Old 11-19-18, 12:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,011 Times in 2,065 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: things you can do before the end of this year to improve your life

Get myself back on a steady exercise routine. Injuries had thrown me off.

Get my profile on a dating app.

Finish my dad's kitchen flooring.

Get my dad on some exercise and brain stimulation routine. His cognitive impairment is getting much worse and I really want to slow it down to delay me having to take care of him too more. Even if we put him in a home, it's still a lot to care for someone with dementia.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Alphawave (11-24-18), namazu (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 12:28 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,768 Times in 10,447 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksper View Post
- quit smoking
- quit drinking
- do online learning every day
- read every day
- track what I need to track (hours/expenses for work, food/sleep/training for sports, personal finances)
- exercise every day
- do a social exercise every day (I want to improve my social skills)
- meditate every day
- sleep silently (without a podcast - or with devices near my bed in general)
- reduce my spending
- do something fun and relaxing every day
- beautify my home (on the cheap)
- do the last remaining 'old' chores (so that I am not behind with anything)
- keep a journal and use a to-do app
- avoid making unreasonable or unsustainable to-do lists, because they're a recipe for disappointment and self-loathing
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-19-18), Jacksper (11-19-18), kwalk (11-20-18), Lunacie (11-20-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-18, 12:43 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,926 Times in 699 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

Whaha touché Namazu!

Ok... let's rephrase this list as 'habitsI want to incorporate into my routine one-by-one, allowing me the time to experiment, 'fail', tweak, get used to and appreciate them, without a 7-week deadline'... is that better? :P

@acdc - that is a good list. let me know if you need some advice for your exercise routine. and it sounds challenging to take care of your dad like that. what are your specific ideas for the exercise and brain stimulation routine?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
kwalk (11-20-18), Lunacie (11-20-18), namazu (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 02:10 PM

Thanked 4,011 Times in 2,065 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksper View Post
@acdc - that is a good list. let me know if you need some advice for your exercise routine. and it sounds challenging to take care of your dad like that. what are your specific ideas for the exercise and brain stimulation routine?
Thanks Jacksper! I don't actually have any ideas for my dad yet. I asked him to pick originally. He chose swimming which he never could get himself to go do. Thought maybe I could join a pickleball group with him that meets a couple times a week. But it's all on the west side and he doesn't want to drive so far. I tried to get him to just walk at a shopping center for an hour a day, but he's not doing it. I ask him again if he has any ideas on what he might enjoy doing - nothing. What do you do with someone who just won't help himself? I'd just leave him to deteriorate but there's no doubt I will have to take care of him more once he's doing really bad. The only way I ever get him to exercise at all is for me to do it with him and I wouldn't be able to stand spending that much time with him.

As far as brain function goes, I'm just starting to look into that. What I've tried so far he won't keep up with. If you have ideas, I'm all ears.

I'm looking into senior homes now. Maybe those people there would get him off his butt and moving. But those things are obscenely expensive here in the US so it'd be so much better if he would take the tiniest effort to get off his butt and do something.

As for me, I've just got my new computer set up so am going to start playing the exercise VR games again. Some are actually great exercise like the boxing games will tire you out like crazy and I can easily get myself to do it. The only issue with them is that they are all purely aerobic and not muscle building. I tried lifting weights before and they are just too boring for me to keep up so I've pretty much given up on that. I'll also start tennis again after I do some rehab on my knees/shoulders and if it turns out tennis just always hurts my body, I'm going to give pickleball a try.

Sorry, I wrote too much and feel like I'm taking over your thread. But I appreciated you asking so responded.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (12-02-18), namazu (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 02:32 PM

Thanked 27,110 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I have much to do regarding setting up this freelance work;
but what I really have to incorporate right now, is actually writing or translating something every day.

acdc01:
my aunt had dementia and was very difficult for my cousins! i remember my aunt just not wanting to read anymore because she had to keep rereading pages, there was a lot of resentment with what was happening and she really took it out on her daughters.
I'm so sorry to hear you have to deal with this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-20-18), namazu (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 06:48 PM

Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,222 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Mate if you can quit smoking before the end of the year hats off to you! I don't even smoke but am finding it hard enough just to get from 3 cups of coffee a day to 2.

I can only imagine that quitting smoking must be 1,000,000 times harder.

Good luck!!
Rebelyell (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 07:52 PM

Thanked 10,946 Times in 5,878 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I'll see God before I give up drinking coffee before the end of the year
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-19-18), stef (11-20-18), tudorose (11-20-18)
Old 11-20-18, 05:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,632 Times in 15,113 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

exercise more
financial stability
make time for me and stop taking care of everyone else all the time.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
DJ Bill (11-23-18)
Old 11-20-18, 06:11 AM

Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,222 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
I'll see God before I give up drinking coffee before the end of the year
Last 2 days I've had 2 coffees instead of 3. Feel like I'm dying of exhaustion!!!
Rebelyell (11-20-18)
Old 11-20-18, 12:49 PM

Thanked 10,946 Times in 5,878 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I usually drink 3 or 4 20 - 24 oz coffees a day
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
tudorose (11-20-18)
Old 11-20-18, 01:11 PM

Thanked 26,087 Times in 12,174 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Thanks Jacksper! I don't actually have any ideas for my dad yet. I asked him to pick originally. He chose swimming which he never could get himself to go do. Thought maybe I could join a pickleball group with him that meets a couple times a week. But it's all on the west side and he doesn't want to drive so far. I tried to get him to just walk at a shopping center for an hour a day, but he's not doing it. I ask him again if he has any ideas on what he might enjoy doing - nothing. What do you do with someone who just won't help himself? I'd just leave him to deteriorate but there's no doubt I will have to take care of him more once he's doing really bad. The only way I ever get him to exercise at all is for me to do it with him and I wouldn't be able to stand spending that much time with him.

As far as brain function goes, I'm just starting to look into that. What I've tried so far he won't keep up with. If you have ideas, I'm all ears.

I'm looking into senior homes now. Maybe those people there would get him off his butt and moving. But those things are obscenely expensive here in the US so it'd be so much better if he would take the tiniest effort to get off his butt and do something.

As for me, I've just got my new computer set up so am going to start playing the exercise VR games again. Some are actually great exercise like the boxing games will tire you out like crazy and I can easily get myself to do it. The only issue with them is that they are all purely aerobic and not muscle building. I tried lifting weights before and they are just too boring for me to keep up so I've pretty much given up on that. I'll also start tennis again after I do some rehab on my knees/shoulders and if it turns out tennis just always hurts my body, I'm going to give pickleball a try.

Sorry, I wrote too much and feel like I'm taking over your thread. But I appreciated you asking so responded.
Maybe check with your local college and see if there is someone doing anything
with geriatrics who would be your dad's exercise buddy for a small fee a couple
of times a week? In my town we have a senior center where they do everything
from playing cards to sewing bees to dances and other stuff. Is there something
like that close enough for your dad to get there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Last 2 days I've had 2 coffees instead of 3. Feel like I'm dying of exhaustion!!!
Your body is used to the caffeine all day long. Maybe stay with 3 cups a day
but don't fill them all the way full?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 11-20-18, 01:40 PM

Thanked 27,110 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
I usually drink 3 or 4 20 - 24 oz coffees a day
I first read: "420 coffees a day"
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (11-23-18)
Old 11-20-18, 03:41 PM

warmbrew_991 is on a distinguished road

I've quit smoking and started vaping, it's just as good with a high nicotine content and even easier than smoking!

By the end of the year I just want to get a good start on my dissertation.
Old 11-20-18, 04:41 PM

Thanked 30,370 Times in 13,993 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Maybe you could replace your third cup of coffee with tea. It's got less caffeine but i find tea somehow both refreshing and very soothing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-20-18), Rebelyell (11-23-18), tudorose (11-20-18)