ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-18, 12:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

fathom6 is on a distinguished road
Is this daydreaming or some other mental illness

I understand the classic definition of day dreaming is ... like when you are at work and in some group meeting, you getting distracted and start imagining of other things on your mind.

Divulging somethings .... I have a habit since I was 5, having a bad stuttering and being underweight I used to be severely bullied. I developed a habit of coming home from school and laying down in my bed, closing eyes, and just dreaming about the events that happened, and re-creating/playing those events in my mind in a totally different way, most often in pleasant way, but sometimes I dont know why in some harsh ways.

Fast forward today ... I have been doing this all my life. I am 31 and single, so the nature of bullying is now totally different but it happens daily. I eagerly come home, turn on music real loud and I play events in my mind just like a movie. Believe me, this (if this is indeed daydreaming) habit is my best friend, I very much enjoy this time, its so comforting to me, its the best thing in my life. I feel very refreshed after doing this. Sometimes (or most times I do this like from 5pm till late night, and then I sleep (and these day dreams turn into night dreams) with music still playing. The cycle continues, and each day I long for going home and doing this (mostly pleasant recreation of events, but sometimes non-pleasant harsher recreation of events).

I hope you can stay frank and honest. Am I insane, or is there a name for this disease or whatever it is, or is this just ADHD-Inattentive habit of day dreaming?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fathom6 For This Useful Post:
drlizard (Yesterday), Greyhound1 (12-07-18), Little Missy (12-06-18), namazu (12-06-18)
Old 12-06-18, 01:31 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,768 Times in 10,447 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is this daydreaming or some other mental illness

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical doctor, and I'm just throwing ideas out in the hope that maybe something will be interesting/useful to you.

What you describe does not sound to me very much like ADHD -- or at least not like ADHD alone.

I have heard the term "maladaptive daydreaming" to describe similar phenomena. As far as I know, that is not a formal diagnosis, and if you find it enjoyable and it doesn't really interfere with your life, then maybe it wouldn't be right to describe it as "maladaptive". Still, you might find some useful information if you search for that phrase.

I also wonder if it could be a form of dissociation. This can be a response to anxiety or traumatic experiences.

Do you have a psychologist or therapist you feel comfortable discussing this with?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
drlizard (Yesterday), fathom6 (12-06-18), Greyhound1 (12-07-18)
Old 12-06-18, 09:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,099 Times in 2,222 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a bit like complex ptsd
drlizard (Yesterday), fathom6 (12-06-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-18, 10:38 AM

Thanked 21,519 Times in 11,543 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I do the same every chance I am able to. I love it.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
fathom6 (12-06-18)
Old 12-07-18, 02:09 AM

Thanked 4,011 Times in 2,065 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

It sounds like maladaptive daydreaming to me too though I'm not a mental health professional either. The article below suggests a lot of maladaptive daydreamers have ADHD.

Though I personally think it's not soley due to ADHD (though our wandering minds probably contributes) but also a defense mechanism to the bullying/abuse we receive from others due to our ADHD.

Have you seen a psychiatrist/therapist? I'm concerned about you still feeling like you are being bullied on a daily basis. Is there something that can be done about this? No one can survive long term bullying.

https://blog.allpsych.com/excessive-...th-conditions/
Old 12-07-18, 08:52 PM

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely worth visiting a good therapist ... Not saying your habit is pathological or anything ... but really that time spent daydreaming ... could be spent creating those scenarios of your daydreams in real life.

Sounds like you came up with a rich coping mechanism. Nothing wrong with that ... No, you're not "crazy."
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (12-07-18)
Old 12-07-18, 09:28 PM

Thanked 10,946 Times in 5,878 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I use to do this in highschool after either being bullied or honed in on n outed out by a teacher or both come home lay on bed put headphones on vlose eyes n.zone out at ceiling to pink Floyd Metallica etc.i also spend alot of time in my head thinking what life would be like in perfect scenarios things going different.at this point I don't know if I'm insane n don't really care after dealing w an insane world for 43 years
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
Jr Member

drlizard is on a distinguished road

Isn't that precisely what the film The Neverending Story about? It doesn't have to be a disorder, only a sanctuary.